Anyone try the DR Extra Life for Acoustic strings?

geek_usa

• Members

Can get a really good deal on them right now. I love them on my Stratocaster but I was just wondering if they worked well for Acoustic guitars. Thanks!

I have liked all of the DR strings that I've tried, included the old extended play or whatever they were called. I just put a set of the new Dragon Skins on the triple ought and so far they seem really fine. Back in the Great String Test days the DR Rares got the highest votes (blind listening), I'm too lazy to do any more A/B testing like I did back then. So short story, I like them fine, they are a little hard to get where I live but I'll probably have my music store order me several sets of the Skins.

You also know that DR does not us industry standard nomenclature - their "lights" are "super lights" but other standards. Buy by gauge.

• Members

I have liked all of the DR strings that I've tried

+1, although I've only tried their "rare" p/b strings. I really like 'em. They are standard use for me, along with D'Addarios for some other gits.

I don't like coated strings, but if you do I wouldn't imagine one could go wrong with DR.

• Members

I love the tone of sunbeams, how do they compare to Sunbeams?

If we are talking about the Dragon Skins, they are a PB string (as were both the Rares and Sunbeams that I tried). They sound like PB strings - warm, mellow, but with a lot more presence than the Reds that I just took off (the Reds were the mellowest string I have ever tried). My ears aren't good enough to tell the differenece between different PBs, but I can tell between 80/20, 90/10 and 99/1 (the Reds).

Sunbeams, as you know, are round core - that lowers the tension slightly for the same gauge and makes them easier to fret and bend. Rares are hex - I think they sound basically the same. The old extended play seem to be replaced by the Dragon Skins - so far after about 3 weeks they are still nice warm mellow strings. It would be fun to do some A/B recordings but I've kind of lost the interest in doing that so I'll just say, try 'em, I think you'll like 'em, if not take them off and try something else.

• Members

One last thing, Geek, if you buy several sets of Dragons and don't like them and they are either 12's or 13's I would probably take them off your hands. I use 12's on my normal acoustics, 13's on the resonators, and I was planning to order a few sets thru my local store.

Archived