String gauge for Lapsteel??

Mike_E_McGee

• Members

It's a 23" scale, 6 string...electric :rolleyes:

It's one of those SX $99 jammies with a P90. I'm not much of a lap player, but figured it'd be fun to slide around on (and it is). After a year or so though...it NEEDS a string change. Generally speaking I like very heavy strings. I usually play in open G or D. What gauge should I be looking for guitar gurus of the HC?

• Members

Its gotta be here somewhere

http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html

On both my Weissenborn and my lap style dobro which are tuned to either open G or D I use plain old mediums, but substitute a heavier first (14 or 15) and I frequently use an unwound third (22, I think). That is acoustic (however I sometimes put a little magnetic sound hole pickup in the weissie) - you might want to used something with better magnetic properties for your P90

• Members

Name dropper...

L:lol:L...it's amazing how she pulls off pedal-steel-type licks with this technique.

Saw her when she was working w/ Asleep At The Wheel, at Billy Bobs, and I carried some binoculars in w/ me, to watch how she did it. :)

If that one blonde wasn't sitting in the wrong spot, you could better see how she does it in this video:

[video=youtube;Aq_AzC_0okE]

• Members

I use a medium deep-well socket, large enough to fit on my thumb, changing the angle of the slide is easy. Not exactly like a table steel, but kinda close. Sounds good to me. Heavier strings are best, IMO. And Go with a high quality string, too, IMO.

Archived