opinions on acoustic amp choices

AgileLefty

• Members

. . . I've seen the Carvin AG, Fender Acoustasonic, and the bigger Fishman Loudbox, but what are some of YOUR favorite acoustic amps ?

I haven't used the KB/A 60 but the Peavey amps I have used were very good. If it is in fact as heavy as you say the OP might as well get the TNT150 for $75. One thing's for sure, he won't have to worry about being loud enough. ;)

• Members

I should add on the plus side that the KB/A 60 is a very loud 50 watt amp. It could get much louder, for example, than the 50 watt Ultrasound amp I initially got to replace it for guitar and vocals. Also, the thing is heavy, it's also very solidly built. The one I have has taken its fair share of abuse over the years, and it still works well and reliably. I had an amp stand once fail right out from under it. The amp tipped back and fell about a foot to the floor, flat on its back. It made a horrible jarring-springing sound, but once I righted it, it was as if nothing had happend, and the gig went on.

Louis

• Members

I have had a Carvin Ag100, a Fender Acoustisonic, and an Ultrasound. The Carvin sounds great when it works. That's the problem. I have had two, and the second one crapped out about 3 months after the warranty. The Acousticsonic sounds good, especially for vocals, but it shaped the sound of my acoustic in a way that I didn't like. The Ultrasound is the most clean and pure sound so far. It sounds like someone put a condensor mic on my guitar. However, at higher volumes, the tweeters can get a bit shrill. So if you are doing a line out or micing it, then there is no problem. If you are playing "box only" on stage, I would go with the Crate.

• Members

I have a Roland AC60, an AER, and a Bose L1 compact. The Roland blows them all away.

Sgt. Rock could you be more specific? What about the Roland blows away an AER?? I've been looking for a little powerhouse amp as an on-stage monitor for a while now. So far the L.R. Baggs Reference amp (now sadly discontinued) and an AER C60 have (at least for cleanliness, high headroom and musical/usable eq) left ALL others in an embarrassing puddle of goo. There's absolutely no doubt in my mind the AER is the most up front and clean acoustic amp I've (at least to date) encountered. It was a joy to sit in front of it at gigging volumes. Everything else at gigging volumes was a struggle, a compromise, ugly, distorted, hard, harsh, flubby, ridiculous eq, ridiculous reverbs and worse ridiculous chorus. Conversely the AER pointed at my head was transparent, musical, no ugly distortion in the upper registers, low end was tight, mid-range was musical and in your face without causing me to wince. In fact the whole amp was musical. It sorta made me want to play to the amp. Nothing to this point has been that connected to my playing.

Saying the Roland "blows it away" is a mighty, mighty statement. Can you clarify as to why you don't like the AER and why the Roland is so much better?

• Members

yeah Joe, I think the poster was stating his personal opinion and depending on the application - type of instrument / pickup system / music style / venues, it may well be better suited to his needs, Roland make good products. I chose the AER for it's transparency and accuracy of sound, wanting to reproduce my guitar with the minimum of coloration and processing, I just add a little reverb. For this type of sound requirement the AER was my choice.

An awful lot of people think the sound of the 'acoustic guitar' is the typical MTV Unplugged Electro Acoustic Piezo pickup with the strident metallic treble playing a slowed down 'indie' version of the 'Amen Break'.:lol:

like this -

[video=youtube;5SaFTm2bcac]

Archived