Occupy Audio: Don’t be a slave to the Media corporations.

g6120

• Members

Came across this interesting and brand new movement on FaceBook.

Here's what it says on the info page:

OCCUPY AUDIO

Rescuing an Art Form!

Occupy Audio and get the sound back to the people. Musicians hear this. This is the 21st Century. We need to take our tones back. Give your fans what YOU hear. Figure out a way to do it. MP3 audio is the new radio. It should be free like radio. Our record companies need to deliver what we are making the way we hear it. Put pressure on them. Our music loving listeners deserve the best. Sell quality. It is possible. We can do it. Now is the time. Don’t be a slave to the Media corporations. Change what they are doing.

Give your audience what YOU hear. Let them FEEL it.

Here's the link. They got a video up and some comments there:

https://www.facebook.com/OccupyAudio?sk=info

• Moderators

good luck with that...it is exactly that thinking that has already clogged the internet with junque...the moment you eliminate the gatekeepers (media conglomerates), you get chaos. Not that the gatekeepers are necessarily honest, arbitrary, attuned to the needs of the public, etc. but they do serve a purpose...

Sice I don't subscribe to Fb, I can't see it, nor do I care. There is already too much crap music available now...this will just make it worse in the long run while making it harder to find the true gems :wave:

• Members

good luck with that...it is exactly that thinking that has already clogged the internet with junque...the moment you eliminate the gatekeepers (media conglomerates), you get chaos. Not that the gatekeepers are necessarily honest, arbitrary, attuned to the needs of the public, etc. but they do serve a purpose...

Sice I don't subscribe to Fb, I can't see it, nor do I care. There is already too much crap music available now...this will just make it worse in the long run while making it harder to find the true gems
:wave:

Actually it doesn't say get rid of them. It says artists should take the initiative to try and change what they do and demand that they deliver higher quality audio to the customers. I don't interpret that as a call to get rid of the gatekeepers.

And yes I agree there is a lot of amateur junk out there (mine included) however as Richard mentions in another thread there is also some awesome undiscovered music too if you're willing to wade through and find it. Otherwise most people are just too lazy and listen to whatever the gatekeepers spoon feed them. Music is not a big priority in most people's lives. A few do want to seek though.

For example a friend in the AG forum here turned me on to Blaze Foley.

It's the best music I've heard in a long time and the guy has been dead since 1989!!

Never heard of him until now and I'm hooked.

If I was limited to listening to the gatekeeper's commercial product offerings I would never discover anything new...it would be the same old stuff over and over. Some folks are comfortable with that and don't give it any thought at all. They buy into that marketing formula.

But I was always a seeker even growing up I made the effort to look outside the mainstream for inspiration!

• Members

I think more than anything, we need a redefinition of what success really is. Is it selling millions of records and getting the cover of Rolling Stone? Or is it putting out music that you can be proud of and try to show it to as many people as possible? Or is it something else entirely?

Look, if you want to make millions and be a household name, you can't do it on your own. If you would like to be able to live decently purely off of your music, it's extremely hard to do on your own. If you are happy with making music, but it isn't how you earn a living, there are plenty of ways to do that on your own and be successful. It all comes down to what your version of "success" is. That is the question.

• Members

Came across this interesting and brand new movement on FaceBook.

Here's what it says on the info page:

OCCUPY AUDIO

Rescuing an Art Form!

Occupy Audio and get the sound back to the people. Musicians hear this. This is the 21st Century. We need to take our tones back. Give your fans what YOU hear. Figure out a way to do it. MP3 audio is the new radio. It should be free like radio. Our record companies need to deliver what we are making the way we hear it. Put pressure on them. Our music loving listeners deserve the best. Sell quality. It is possible. We can do it. Now is the time. Don’t be a slave to the Media corporations. Change what they are doing.

Give your audience what YOU hear. Let them FEEL it.

Here's the link. They got a video up and some comments there:

"Sell quality"

Sorry, I dont understand what they want....

• Members

If I was limited to listening to the gatekeeper's commercial product offerings I would never discover anything new...it would be the same old stuff over and over. Some folks are comfortable with that and don't give it any thought at all. They buy into that marketing formula.

But I was always a seeker even growing up I made the effort to look outside the mainstream for inspiration!

That’s it isn’t it. It is no different now than 30 years ago. Probably more but I can’t speak for then. If anything it is actually less in the hands of the gatekeepers now for anyone who like you and I bother ( I was forced to) look beyond what is played on the radio. Anyone who criticises music today or says there is nothing new out there needs to get off the p0rn sites and surf the net for music. It is in abundance. All that needs to happen is for people to start paying for it rather than downloading it for free.

• Members

Ya , but your the exception , not the rule ; and that very addiction to novelty and exploration would stand you in good stead as a musician and songwriter , and ,you might even make it your lifes ambition and even sleep on a different couch every night in some semi-strangers house If you thought there was a small chance it would maybe pay off ....

But people are pretty smart and can see how much music has changed into a fashion show or three ring circus ; and that now it's all about how to grab folks with a limited attention spans attention quickly and cash in , hit and run style . Very few were willing to risk all before , and the chances were mighty slim . Now days any one SHOULD choose law school instead !!!!!!!! OH BOY ; were going to have allot more lawyers !!!

• Members

Is there any word more beat to death today than "occupy"? :rolleyes::facepalm:

I guess it's fitting, though, that the same mentality that says everyone should get 20 dollars an hour with no regard as to where it comes from and their loans should all be forgiven would think music should be free as well. Apparently, great music is produced by sprinkling fairy dust over an ipod. :lol:

• Members

Don't quite follow that one ..... better sound in an absolute quality production ( like the average room in folks house !!. Nothing but close mic technique and middle frequency congestion ...)

Your whole response was EXCELLENT. Thank You.

Archived