gonna build myself an archtop

meandi

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by brahmz118

View Post

This is so compelling. I could practically feel that corner break off in my own hands. I could hear it too.

I'm definitely rooting for this project to turn out as successful as possible, though I find myself wondering what other challenges will emerge in future chapters.

No question this is one of my favorite threads of all time.

i'm tellin' ya, never a dull moment.

they say the doctor knows things that the patient never suspects...i think it would be most interesting to have an honest chat with benedetto or any of the other top builders & hear some of their horror stories of things happening like this.

stuff happens to everyone...that's just life.

as far as the project...it'll turn out o.k.

it won't be my best archtop, no doubt.

#2 & #3 are both in the early works...following right on the heels of this one & i'm learning a lot doing it.

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarist21

View Post

Ahh the corner!! Are you serious about doing sunburst? Were you planning on doing a burst from the get-go?

Ellen

yep, heard this little snap that made my blood run cold...& there it was, lying in my hand.

actually my thoughts have been to give it a violin/cello colored finish.

that could be shaded from a lighter in the middle of the plates to a darker brownish on the edges of the guitar...a violin burst.

i really don't think it will be a visual problem, reguardless of color, once it's all said & done.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by reachjkh

View Post

Being your first build, I doubt this one will ever leave your hands and that little bit of history under the finish will just make it more interesting to chat about.

agreed.

kinda like..."i remember way back in '08 when i was..."

• Members

more humble pie here.

i guess i over compensated after my breakage fiasco yesterday, which was caused by trying to fit too tight.

now it's just a shade too loose.

it doesn't please me to make mistakes...but on the other hand at this stage in my development at this, mistakes don't surprise me too much...part of the learning process.

i know the bodies on #2 & #3 will be better done than this one, & i'm excited about applying what i've learned here to the next projects.

and so on...

at183.jpg

so i fitted a peice of the surpluss side wood & fitted it in the gap...so now the body has an accent line at the tail joint.

it's a good tight joint & that matters the most to me.

at184.jpg

transfered the radius of the tail of the guitar to the tailblock & shaped it on the belt sander.

at185.jpg

glued & clamped.

at186.jpg

• Members

progress.

kerfed linings & spruce bracing material should be here tomorrow.

at187.jpg

not perfect...but structurally strong.

at188.jpg

learned a lot the last couple of days.

file that away in my mind & proceed to build the best guitar that i am currently able to build!

a violin burst with darker body sides is looking probable on this one.icon_lol.gif

at189.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by meandi

View Post

more humble pie here.

i guess i over compensated after my breakage fiasco yesterday.... so i fitted a peice of the surpluss side wood & fitted it in the gap...so now the body has an accent line at the tail joint.

it's a good tight joint & that matters the most to me.

It looks like just about a saw kerf in width, or a cut on the wrong side of a line. The repair looks great.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mjuenem

View Post

It looks like just about a saw kerf in width, or a cut on the wrong side of a line. The repair looks great.

i've pondered whether the error was caused by inexperience or momentary loss of focus or a combination of the two.

however, bet-ya it doesn't happen again!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by reachjkh

View Post

It's amazing to look at this now and know that relatively soon it will make such sweet sounding chords and melodies. Amazing what can become of a few boards and planks.

BTW, This will look beautiful in that violin finish.

the prospect of beautiful music coming from it is the main motivator.

yea, i think the violin finish is a rich, warm, classic looking finish...very understated in it's ellegance.

_____

a busy day today.

i built another mold that has less depth to the sides.

this along with the internal press mold will allow more room for clamping the kerfed linings & body side braces (which arrived today) into place, while still having the sides firmly located.

the fact that it's a split mold that bolts together will be handy to use from this point on, due to the easy on, easy off factor.

at190.jpg

got the spruce wedges for the top plate fitted & glued.

at191.jpg

while i had the clamps out i went ahead & glued up another mahogany back plate blank.

at192.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by iansmitchell

View Post

oooh

indeed...

____

well, i've been a good boy & kept after it...makin' it happen for myself.

so i felt it would be ok if i allowed myself the indulgence of a little visualization.

get a feel for what's happening here.

at193.jpg

the linings & side brace material are here...get that installed...do my final thinning & shaping on the back plate...top blank is glued up...i'm going to have a guitar here pretty soon...it's all starting to come together.

at194.jpg

i just love the sexy angle of the neck on an archtop.

at195.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mjuenem

View Post

I know I'm getting excited....if that little mojo goof by the end pin starts bothering you too much, you have my PM. ;-)

that's all behind me.

focusing on linings & side braces now.

but, thanks for the offer.

• Members

in preparation for the linings, the edges of the body sides are being brought to just a hair from final dimension width wise.
the mold is straight & will be used as reference.
the neck/tail blocks will be first knocked down close with the grinder stone, checking every couple of passes with the square.
vacuum tube will capture most of the mess.
at196.jpg

the rest will be done with the long sanding stick loaded with 40 grit.
being long enough to bridge the span to the other end of the mold keeps all the cuts square to the body sides.
this is especially critical when the final dress is done after the kerfed linings are installed.
the top of the body/linings must be square to assure full contact with the glue areas of the plates when they are installed.
at197.jpg

• Members

the sides are ready for linings & side braces.
got to run out tomorrow a.m. & get a few smallish spring clamps.
on the beltsander, i got the back side of the top plate blank square enough across the corners to lay steady on the bench...flipped it over & drew the body outline on the back using the main mold as a pattern...cut it 1/4" large on the bandsaw & then, using the saftey-planer, cut the center top side flat to 1" + 1/4" for now.
at198.jpg

laid it with the top side down & some side blocks to stabalize it.
the outer most line is the actual edge line...the inner one is 3/4" in & represents the edge of the glue surface for the top that will join with the tops of the linings & the top of the side of the body, which will also be square to the vertical centerline.
gotta be square/straight one side relative to the other.
everything inside the innermost line will be removed when the top is dished on the backside.
so to flatten it out i'll use the long sanding board, moving continuously around the perimeter of the plate till all the pencil lines have been removed.

at199.jpg

• Members
This is on of the best threads I've ever read... It's like a creation story...

Much awe and homage to you... because you are creating a GUITAR.

WOW.

Legend!

a most generous compliment...thank you.

____

got the edges flat, straight & square as verified with a straight edge.
re-drew the outter & inner lines, as well as the neck/tail block dimensions for visual reference for myself.
before sanding, i used the chain saw disc to scoop a little material from the center areas...no sense sanding flat an area that will soon be removed.
the saw disc is awsome cuts smoothly & moves a lot of material in a hurry...going to have to pay attention when roughing in the arches with it...keep myself outa trouble.
at200.jpg

i've had it back under the safety planer for a couple of more passes to bring it closer to the 1" thickness needed for final thickness.
gave myself +1/16 or so for wiggle room.
on to the carving cradle & another set of arching templates.
this one feels a bit different than the first one...i've been there & have some familiarity with the procedure.
my approach should be somewhat more linear on this one, allowing me to expedite the time involved.
at201.jpg

but first, i will get the kerfed linings & the side braces in place.
ordered some quarter sawn spruce strips...it is 3/4" x 2" x 20"...large enough i can cut the braces for the top plate as well as ripping it down to 3/32x9/16x2 3/4 for the side braces...which is my immediate project.
at202.jpg

• Members

Dude... Throw a pickup on this and pot it to the electric guitar forum.

This needs to be shared.

wow, thanks for the kudos!

i've got 2 real nice teles, one tele needing some t.l.c., a great strat, a very nice jackson professional, a pristine u.s.a. built early '80s kramer baretta & 3 or 4 more in construction or waiting their turn.

for acoustics all i've got is a plain jane seagull s6 cutaway & a epi dot studio.

and i haven't plugged in, in almost a year literally.

since my head is about 100% percent in the acoustic mode right now, this forum just seemed the place to show it.

but man, i'm honored by your words.

• Members
i have to admit i am just on the jones for an update!

no pressure, i know you have a life outside of keeping all of us enthralled in your wonderous venture... but i need a bump...! 8^)

:thu:

nice to hear from you again.
not the most interesting day in the guitar room today.
had some other things to attend to.
but i did get my bit of split-out, that occured when bending the sides, taken care of.
last thing before linings.
at203.jpg

took a plastic squeege that the super glue doesn't stick to & after flowing a few drops in behind the lifted portion, pushed it in to place & spritzed it with some accelerator.
then sanded the little "wild hairs" off & got it all smoothed out.
back on track tomorrow.:lol:
at204.jpg

• Members

wow, thanks for the kudos!

i've got 2 real nice teles, one tele needing some t.l.c., a great strat, a very nice jackson professional, a pristine u.s.a. built early '80s kramer baretta & 3 or 4 more in construction or waiting their turn.

for acoustics all i've got is a plain jane seagull s6 cutaway & a epi dot studio.

and i haven't plugged in, in almost a year literally.

since my head is about 100% percent in the acoustic mode right now, this forum just seemed the place to show it.

but man, i'm honored by your words.

No prob. I'm actually doing a project starting soon on a leslie-type guitar cabinet. I can't believe the props I've gotten already... To be honest it's made me a bit scared. Anyway, Something like this would get way more attention and praise then I could ever give ya for it there. As I said before, this needs to be shared.

I'm in about a million percent electric, mostly because I currently don't own any kind of acoustic, closest thing being a semi-hollow. But I'm also a very CLEAN electric player, but a warm overdrive, that fullness can't be beat, IMO.

Archived