Seagull S12 - unbalanced sound

Ricochet

• Members

Hey all -

So, I've got an older S12 (1999) that I'm not quite bonding with the tone of - too much emphasis on the bass. I realize that, being a cedar top, it'll tend towards a warmer sound than a spruce top guitar. It currently has EXPs (light gauge) on it, and I installed a new TUSQ saddle to replace the old one, which had all sorts of grooves worn in it.

I'm not sure how much of this is due to overall tone vs. balance of respective string volume. Looking for ideas on how to tweak this and get a bit more brightness/shimmer out of it. Would tweaking string gauges help? Different saddle? Sell it and replace it with something else? confused.gif

Thanks!

• Members

I had alway like the fact that the S12+ seems better balanced that many mid priced 12 strings - lots of dreads tend to be very bassy. I assume you are tuning to concert - most of us tune down to kill some of the jangle but in your case I would recommend staying at concert. 80/20 are definitely brighter and if you are using coated strings I would go back to uncoated - the coating tends to mellow the sound (I don't have much experience with EXP - one string that didn't make it into the test).

Tusq or bone are good saddle materials and really have a small overall effect in tone. When I did the great pin test almost everyone agreed that brass pins brightened the sound, expecially on my old Yamie - you might try a couple of sets. If strings, pins, and tunings don't make a difference it might be time to move to something else.

• Members

I've got a couple of sets of brass pins that were given to me - PM me a snail mail addy and I'll send them to you.

One thing about a 12 that is very different from playing a sixer is that your attack can change the sound a lot. Picking down brings out more of the octave string (you hit it first and hardest), picking up brings out the primary string. If you are finger picking you might want to let your thumb move to the third course rather than picking up with your fingers. If you're using a pick try varying the way you hold and the angle that you approach the pair of strings.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
Freeman - PM sent, thanks!

I've been doing some experimenting with pick angle, definitely making a difference both in tone and ease of play. Appreciate the tip.
If I send you the pins you owe us a report on whether or not you feel they make a difference. They have kind of been around - given to me by BabbaBlowFish some years ago, I used them in the great Pin Test, Gitnoob did some experimenting with them, now on to greater things in your 'Gull.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman Keller

View Post

If I send you the pins you owe us a report on whether or not you feel they make a difference. They have kind of been around - given to me by BabbaBlowFish some years ago, I used them in the great Pin Test, Gitnoob did some experimenting with them, now on to greater things in your 'Gull.

Cool, I'll be happy to test and report back my findings!

• Members

I have a few 12's, currently the Tanglewood mini-jumbo with a cedar top gets the most play when electrocuted and the Fender dread witch a spruce top get more unplugged love. The best sounding 12 overall in my stable is an old Ovation mid-depth Balladeer copy, but over 20 years of full pull now the main X-Brace needs repair.
Strings and attack, that's the secret. And picks. I've found that lighter picks can turn a bassy 12 into a more jangly thing and with some exception vice versa. Try different pick gauges and material. I'm an absolute fan of the Dunlop MaxGrip Nylons.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by katopp

View Post

Strings and attack, that's the secret. And picks. I've found that lighter picks can turn a bassy 12 into a more jangly thing and with some exception vice versa. Try different pick gauges and material. I'm an absolute fan of the Dunlop MaxGrip Nylons.

I've found that by using the long side of the pick instead of the tip and changing the pick angle, I'm getting a tone that I like a lot ... bringing out the higher end without getting harsh. Also easier to strum. I haven't noticed much difference from different picks, but I only have a few different kinds right now, so I'll have to hit the local store to get some different ones,

Archived