OT question- what about this "recording and promotion" deal?

wkendhacker

• Members

My old band has signed a deal with a local company to record and be promoted. It's NOT a pay to play recording deal, but it is a small studio.

I don't think they are going to try to sell the record other than locally, so nobody expects to make any money.

The promotions part is a straight 15% on venues the company books.

Also, it's one of those things where the company is new, but the people involved spun off from more established companies.

My take on it is if the company can get the band in some new and hopefully better paying venues, it might be worth it, since the band members aren't putting any money up.

I retired from this band but the guys are wanting me to come out of retirement for this.

Is it worth it?

• Members

Typical "finders fee" is 10% in my business, but the work is much longer in duration - so 15% sounds reasonable to me. How long does the contract last? Can you still book your own gigs with the relationships you have built without going through this company? Is there a long non-compete clause of you not directly working with new venues this company books for you?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vman4639

View Post

Typical "finders fee" is 10% in my business, but the work is much longer in duration - so 15% sounds reasonable to me. How long does the contract last? Can you still book your own gigs with the relationships you have built without going through this company? Is there a long non-compete clause of you not directly working with new venues this company books for you?

All very important questions to get answered before putting ink to paper. This is a job for a knowledgable lawyer.

Archived