Post Photos Of Your Gear Here !

aaaaabb

• Members

New cable Internet provider, Web space...free at last to post the way we're supposed to post pix!

Here's my son playing my Jay Turser--both sound as good as they look!

zachJTA.jpg

Not the best side of me nor angle on my Larrivee 12-string ...

dvLarrivee.jpg

When I can get a decent photo of my Peavey Firenza that doesn't look splotchy, I'll add it here. For now ...

myfirenza01.jpg

Thanks for all your posts. EH, Isabel is a wonder to behold!

dv (POST 700!)

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Originally posted by donavanvicha

New cable Internet provider, Web space...free at last to post the way we're supposed to post pix!

Here's my son playing my Jay Turser--both sound as good as they look!

zachJTA.jpg

Not the best side of me nor angle on my Larrivee 12-string ...

dvLarrivee.jpg

When I can get a decent photo of my Peavey Firenza that doesn't look splotchy, I'll add it here. For now ...

myfirenza01.jpg

Thanks for all your posts. EH, Isabel is a wonder to behold!

dv (POST 700!)

I wouldn't say it is a wonder to behold.Not really an eye candy guitar.Looks nicer in the pics.You don't see the scars and finish checking.You can see an area where someone put out their cigarette on the soundboard.rolleyes.gif Now that 1996 Taylor 955.That's an eye candy guitar.Martins don't make eye candy guitars under $1500 tongue.gif....you can get an all Koa Martin, used for about 1600.Saw it on eBay.I want a Taylor because of it's beauty, I play a Martin because of it's sound.But I wanna Taylor!!! GRRRR!!! BUT I LOVE MY MARTIN!!!!!......I want both biggrin.gif

I'm gonna get a taylor.I dunno....maybe a used 310....or a 410.I have almost enough to afford a Taylor 110 brand new.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought I posted this. I guess I forgot. So I guess I will show off my latest pride and joys. I have video clips to show what they sound like and you GOTTA see the bursts on the Cruz (photo page).

Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner Deluxe (stone cold killer)

Page of photos and video clip with sound

HooverDougKelvyn.jpg

Here's the new Gibson J-45 I have now to use as an alternate gig guitar so the Cruz doesn't get banged up over time. It's really sweet and I had some difficulty finding this one with a perfect old style neck.

J45 Page with photos and video and audio demo

DSC00009.JPG

• Members

Not the best picture by anymeans, but decent I guess. I have had a hard time photographing this guitar to pick up the grain, which is really quite beautiful some redish highlights, I need to get a hold of a digital camera and have the option to toy around with the light and such. So anyways here is my Martin 000m. Had some battles with this guitar, lost of restlessness over it, but now I am either melting into the guitar or it is melting into me, either way I am quite happy with it now. smile.gif

Martin3.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by LittleBrother

I thought I posted this. I guess I forgot. So I guess I will show off my latest pride and joys. I have video clips to show what they sound like and you GOTTA see the bursts on the Cruz (photo page).

LB, the burst on the back of your SC looks like it has it's own internal light. It looks alive. Sounds REALLY alive too. Nice, nice, nice!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hi Tony,

That's right. Those knobs are part of the expression system. From the outside, that's the ony visible part of it: 3 knobs. I think it's more elegant and much less invasive as a regular preamp (the well-know 'barndoor' in the side of a guitar).

However, it's the sound, ease and playability of the system which I like. It really is the best sounding acoustic pickup I've heard. It has none of that Piezo Quack.

Also, it's a linear system, which means that if you double the force of your playing, the output is doubled. If I did that on an old piezo system, the output would be quadrupled, because it's a square law device. That means that the expression system gives you much greater dynamics, thus ways to express yourself.

The preamp (designed by Rupert Neve!) is really quiet, with an impedance of a few hundred ohms as opposed to the thousands of ohms on most piezo preamps (hence the hiss on those systems).

Also, it's really easy. You don't need a lot of experience to work the system, because there is no notch, multiband EQ, Phase or other stuff. It's very feedback resistant, so no more problems. Combined with the Bose Personal Audio System it sounds absolutely wonderful and is almost impossible to get feedback problems! If you want more EQ, just buy the outboard K4 equalizer, which has multiband and sweepable EQ and a few other cool features.

There is one thing to get used to: the body sensors pick up almost any vibration in the guitar body, which means that you need to learn how to prevent that (much the same as a built in condensor mic). And the thing runs on AA batteries, which are cheaper to replace, but run empty sooner.

All in all, I think the ES lived up to the hype. I've had two ES guitars and both worked great! I'm very happy and satisfied with it. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to mail or reply.

-Joost

ps: check out these links for more info:

Taylor Site ES info

and

Bob Taylor's ES announcement!

• Members

Cool, glad you're enjoying the system. You're also one of the first follks I've come across using the Bose Personal Audio System. Would be curious to hear your remarks about the Bose using other types of pick-ups going in, and vice versa - different amps with the ES.

Tony

• Members

Ultimately, I guess my curiousity is mostly sparked due to its controversy. From what I've heard through the grapevine Lace will be/has filed a law suit against Taylor for something to the effect of stealing the pick-up's design.

It's also a Frankenstein's monster when you look at it from inside the guitar. It definitely concerns me with regards to the effect it has on the guitar's acoustic sound (totally unplugged). It looks like a life support system for a dying man/woman.

But, with all the boasts made about it, I am quite curious to know how it measures up.

• Members

Well, I couldnt tell the difference between the acoustic sound of a non CE guitar and the guitars with cutaway and Electronics, but maybe if it's real quiet and you would sit down for it, you might be able to hear it.

I've heard a little about the Lace story on the Taylor Guitar forum, a few months ago, but I haven't heard anything since, so I figured it was done with. I don't know....

As you might have guessed I think it measures up! really! and I find that many people do with me, whether I read the forums or the user reviews on Harmony Central.

What guitar do you own? What is your opinion on Taylor and the ES?

• Members

I really like the sound of it. the 3 unlabeled knobs are a bit of a joke though. "3 unobtrusive knobs" heh, I take look inside man. 2 knobs to control the tone seems pretty silly. I guess you get one knob for EQ and one for balancing the signals from however many pickups it has. I'd also have a hard time placing trust in something that complex. I should probably go research it more instead of trying to make sense of it.

are they going to make a dedicated outboard preamp for the ES? that would definitely be something worth looking at.

Bose has a system with a preset for it? It kind of seems like they want to make all their taylors to sound exactly the same. while I really like that sound (the plugged in one) I wouldn't want others to have it, because their grass will always be greener. It could end up being like the les paul/marshall cookie-cutter combo of acoustic guitar, not that it doesn't deserve to be.