Used Breedlove Voice Concert opinion?

edremy

• Members

I took up electric guitar a while back as a mid-life crisis thing and long ago I told myself I'd get something nice if I was still playing after 5 years.  I originally thought it would be an electric, but after a salesguy dropped a Martin into my hands I've decided to get an acoustic instead.

My budget is $1-2k or so, and I've been looking at a variety of fairly nice instruments- Martin GPCPA4, Taylor 314 and 414 and such.  (I don't seem to be able to bond with dreads- they're just too bulky)  I played a Breedlove Oregon series and really liked it, so I started poking around looking for them as well.  

Almost as soon as I did, the nearest Guitar Center popped up with a used Voice Concert model for $1600.  I went up to play it today- it seems to be in great shape.  (The sort of minor dings and fret wear you'd expect in a used instrument, but you have to really look for them)  It sounds quite nice to my acoustically untrained ear- well balanced and it sounds good both picked and fingerstyle.  I didn't try the electronics but they seem to get a lot of praise.

Any opinions on this?  It seems like Breedlove has discontinued the model after a very short run, but the few reviews of it I can find are universally positive.  I'm not sure if the pricing is decent- it retails for $2500, but Breedlove doesn't have the resale value of a Martin.

Thanks for any advice

• Members

Is this the guitar? http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-BREEDLOVE-VOICE-CONCERT-USA-W-C-109797872-i3575592.gc. If so, it's a beaut. I haven't played that model but Breedloves in general are excellent guitars. They typically go used for a bit less than other brands but $1600 with a case isn't outrageous, about 64% of retail. That said, Breedloves aren't everyone's cup of tea. The internal construction (Google JLD bridge truss) and pinless bridge--not to mention the funky lightning bridge--are far from traditional. Another thing to consider is that Breedloves tend to compress a bit when played hard with medium strings. If you're planning mostly on playing fingerstyle, it's an awesome choice, not so much for Bluegrass.

• Members

Yep, that's the one.  Modern is fine by me- I know the looks are a little non-standard (I don't think I've seen myrtlewood in anything but an American Breedlove) but they're also kind of unique.

The one acoustic thing I did notice was that when strummed hard it did seem to muddy up a little- it's much clearer when I backed off on the pick or played fingerstyle.  That's my primary goal with it- I can't do it right now and it's on my list of things to learn in 2014.  Given that I typically practice when the kids are in bed a slightly quieter instrument wouldn't hurt.

Archived