Why is the Duncan JB such a controversal pup?

rbm

• Members

People use JB's in almost anything, but I don't think they sound good in a lot of guitars. I've had JB's in 3 different guitars; here's my (very biased) opinion:

JB + basswood - sounds like ass.

JB + alder - sounds......mediocre. Not bad, not great either.

JB + mahogany - sounds like GOD......:D

• Members
Originally posted by Barryj61

JB + mahogany - sounds like GOD......
:D

Well then GOD sounds like a trebly screeching monster.

I had one in my Les Paul Classic and I really didn't like it, there was just too much high-end for me.

That's why the JB is controversial.

• Members

How do you guys think a JB would sound in a Hamer SATQ? For those who don't know, it'a an LP DC style guitar with mahogany body and veneer maple top. I'm buying one, but the stock pups are a little low output. I was thinking about a JB/59 pup combo, any opinions? I'm basically trying to make a $350 used guitar sound something like a Les Paul. Any other recommendations?

Adam Weber

• Members

Originally posted by The Stinkbomb

Good for leads. Bad for distorted chords.

Depends on personal preference and what guitar it's in. Billie Joe Armstrong used a JB in a Strat copy for all of Green Day's albums up until Nimrod, when he started branching out, and for that style, his tone is unmatched. And it's mainly distorted chords.

• Members

Originally posted by floods81

How do you guys think a JB would sound in a Hamer SATQ? For those who don't know, it'a an LP DC style guitar with mahogany body and veneer maple top. I'm buying one, but the stock pups are a little low output. I was thinking about a JB/59 pup combo, any opinions? I'm basically trying to make a $350 used guitar sound something like a Les Paul. Any other recommendations?

Adam Weber

ive got the JB/59 combo in my agile lp2500 and i love it, the JB is great, but the 59 can be a little too warm/vintage at some times. Thats why i can understand why people like the JB/jazz combo better, the jazz is supposed to be brighter and more modern sounding. Id seriously consider bothe the JB/59 combo and the JB/jazz combo.

• Members

what most love about the JB is that it is vintage- modern sounding
by that i mean it can do all the classic rock and then do metal the next second if desired.
it has great "CUT" and a singing lead voice with mucho harmonics
i happen to love mine in my jackson.

• Members
Originally posted by Negative K3 fan

ive got the JB/59 combo in my agile lp2500 and i love it, the JB is great, but the 59 can be a little too warm/vintage at some times. Thats why i can understand why people like the JB/jazz combo better, the jazz is supposed to be brighter and more modern sounding. Id seriously consider bothe the JB/59 combo and the JB/jazz combo.

Thanks man. Now I've jut gotta make some more money!:D

Adam Weber

Archived