telecaster for metal?

KostasSalonica

• Members

Metal?

If you put a really hot pickup it will do it.. A Tele wouldn't be my primary choice. For metal depending on what your budget is you would be better off going with a ibenez, jackson, ESP, BC rich.. anything with two hot humbuckers would do it.

just my 2 cent contribution

Stratmaster

• Members

Didn't Page Hamilton from Helmet play a Telecaster?

Or was that one of the guys in Quicksand? :confused:

Justin Broadrick (Godflesh, Napalm Death) either plays a Telecaster or a Strat. Don't remember which.

I'm not helping, am I?

:(

• Members

I agree. Get a hot bridge pickup (not necessarily a humbucker). Adjust the amp properly and you're pretty much 90% of the way there. The rest is how you play. The bridge is going to give you nice, chunky power chords and searing leads. It's not a traditional metal voice, but that doesn't mean it isn't one.

//S

• Members

About 13 years ago I wanted a little more oomph for my Tele's bridge position, so I installed a SD Hot Rails telecaster pickup.

That was without a doubt the darkest, heaviest passive pickup I've ever heard. My friends who heard it couldn't believe that a Tele could sound that heavy. I ended up selling the guitar to a guy in a local metal band.

On the flip side, something just doesn't look right about heavy sounds eminating from a stock looking Tele.

• Members

Tele for metal? Why not?

While not exactly metal, Page played a lot of his famous solos on a Tele, so I'd venture to say you can pull some pretty heavy sounds out of it even stock. That bridge single coil screams with a high-gain amp. But if you're going for the more modern approach to metal, you'll probably want to throw a 'bucker in there and maybe get a beefier single coil for the neck, if not another 'bucker.

• Members

It was Derek from Sum 41 at MTV Icons.

Some others...

4sh0m9

Teppei, Thrice (Hot Rail in bridge)

4sh1xi

El Hefe, NoFx (EMG-Ts, and not exactly metal, but it's been his main axe since joining the band)

4sh24h

Derek, Poison The Well (Hot Rail in bridge)

One of the guys from Underoath uses a stock tele, as well. They used to be pretty damn heavy.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Play the sound clip third from the bottom (Tele bridge pickup, Hughes and Kettner, high gain).

That sounded {censored}ing awesome!!

While not exactly a Tele, look at how many metal dudes play Strats with single-coils or single-coil HB's. Adam from KSE, all the dudes in Maiden. Piggy from Voivod does too.

Single-coils do metal real well, i played a Lite Ash Tele last month that made me realize that. I was pulling pinch harmonics a lot easier, i even got a real repectable Mastodon-esque chug out of it. My next guitar will probably be a Fender Esquire reissue with Tele Hot Rails.

• Members

The lead guitarist in my band has a Fender Blackout Tele that he tends to use the most. It definitely gets a respectable crunch... the SD humbuckers might have something to do with it, but yes, it's quite metal.

• Members

just for the sake of the person who asked. the past 2 posts i made in this thread feature signature guitars belonging to the same guitarist. he has been playing with his relatively heavy band using mostly the tele - from a conventional tele, to the prototype earlier, to the one he is holding below.

of course, he has probably played other guitars during his earlier days, and he has a few other models in between, but i've always seen him with a tele of sorts most of the time.

i'm not a fan though, just an observer! :)

dai_proto02_04.jpg

enough of the 'bastard' tele for now, i think. someone please post some sane teles! :)

Archived