Is there any validity to this Ed Roman argument?

dougbeens

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Sun Devil

A lot of Ed's theories are usually to benefit Ed.

I'd take a lot of Ed's theories with a grain of salt.

He has been up his own ass for so long he can't see beyond his own {censored}.

He probably has forgotten more about guitars than most of us will ever know. But everything I read he states, every thing I read other say, and my experience with people for all my time on this planet tell me the following:

Just wording the first sentence more elloquently, All he knows how to do any more is push his spin, to the 'end' being revenue.

• Members
Originally posted by Shocker

Yeah, all those old, outdated tones from the 50's, 60's and 70's people are trying to get away from... Who wants to sound like Hendrix or Clapton?

Think of how awesome they could have been with only 2 more frets! {censored}ing Gibson and Fender...
:rolleyes:

//S

The bottom line whether you want to believe it or not is that guitarists are traditionalists....tone, instrument composition/construction...you name it. They are traditionalists.

Whatever would have come out first would have still been most popular today....it just so happened that it was a 22 fret design for Gibson.

Everyone wants to sound like Hendrix or Clapton...that's the old standard by which all other tones are judged with those types of instruments. But this is the definition of being traditional.

• Members

I don't disagree, but the other extreme is assuming that because the idea didn't originate 5 minutes ago, it must be outdated. Guitars have been around forever, and have gone through a ton of changes. There are builders out there who are trying new things all the time; some make sense, but the overwhelming majority don't. I've seen 30+ fret guitars before. Why not use one of those? After all, if 24 frets is great, 30 or more frets must be completely awesome.

Just because it's an old(er) idea doesn't mean it isn't a good one, or that thought wasn't gone into it originally. I'd guess that the initial design of stratocaster and Les Paul have been done and redone by so many people now that if there was something so fundamentally wrong with it as this 22/24 fret business, they'd have been long replaced

Electric guitars are untraditional by nature, remember? 50 years is nothing spread across the lifetime of the actual instrument itself. I'm not saying don't play 24 frets; I'm saying 22 doesn't necessarily mean the guitar's outdated.

//S

• Members

Originally posted by robt57

I liked his 'Only an asshole would buy a guitar on eBay' Rant.

The question is, now that he sells guitars on eBay has that rant on his website been eliminated or simply had it's spin altered for his benefit ??

EDIT - I checked, his eBay rants are still there. Although I cannot find any auctions with a quick search on eBay for them selling anything currently, I can assure you about 6 months ago I saw several...

Yeah, that is good one. One of the weird common themes that runs through many of his rants is that he apparently feels that companies like Fender, Gibson and PRS are out to get him and are activly attempting to destroy his business.

• Members
Originally posted by BowerR64

He always seems to have an argument why his in shop built guitars are better then the top brand.

He has one on the steinberger section called "steinberger secrets" He claims that the graphite composite guitars are actualy cheaper to build then the wood ones and they cost 2X the price. He said that its a one step injection molded guitar that requires less parts and less labor and {censored}. Then says the wood models sound better look better but they dont make em anymore SO BUY FROM ME! I MAKE WOOD MODELS!

Ed Roman should really sell cars and not guitars, he sounds more like a car salesman.

quit insulting car salesmen!! :mad:

• Members

I'm not saying don't play 24 frets; I'm saying 22 doesn't necessarily mean the guitar's outdated.

I'm not sure anyone was arguing over the number of frets--but rather that brands such as Gibson and Fender never touched them simply because that's not the way the "originals" were.

• Members

If you're saying you'd like to see Fender put out something called a Stratocaster with 24 frets and a compensated neck pickup, you're not going to see that happen. Likewise, if you're saying you'd like to see Gibson release a Les Paul singlecut guitar with a moved neck pickup, you're also not gonna see that happen.

Why? Because that's not what the stratocaster or Les Paul are. There are a billion super-strat variants, some put out by Fender, some not, with 24 frets. Likewise, with a little searching you can find something that looks like a Les Paul with 24 frets.

What you're arguing for is about like arguing that Harley-Davidsons are outdated because you like vehicles with 4 wheels. It's just not what those models are.

//S

• Members

Why? Because that's not what the stratocaster or Les Paul are. There are a billion super-strat variants, some put out by Fender, some not, with 24 frets. Likewise, with a little searching you can find something that looks like a Les Paul with 24 frets.

//S

Not that I really disagree with you, but when I think of the "quentessential" or "traditional" SG sound, I think of Iommi. Iommi uses 24 frets.

The other "traditional" sound I think of when I think of SG's is Angus. While he doesn't use 24 frets, he does have a trem bar.

When I think of the "quentessential" Strat player, and someone who has done more for them than anyone else, I think of Hendrix -- And he played his guitars upside down.

So it's hard to say what's the "real" standard way to do it, really.

• Members
Originally posted by Kable

Not that I really disagree with you, but when I think of the "quentessential" or "traditional" SG sound, I think of Iommi. Iommi uses 24 frets.

The other "traditional" sound I think of when I think of SG's is Angus. While he doesn't use 24 frets, he does have a trem bar.

When I think of the "quentessential" Strat player, and someone who has done more for them than anyone else, I think of Hendrix -- And he played his guitars upside down.

Zing! :D

• Members

Touche!

• Members

I know for years Gibson wouldn't make Toni a 24-fret SG because of the re-tooling cost. But now they make the "SG Supreme"...with 24 frets!

• Members

K you guys know whats funny?

What does Ed consider to be the greatest electric guitar on the planet????

a JET

Now I dont disagree with him, I have played some and they are awesome, I hope to own one someday...... but anyway, what is one of the big unique features on JET guitars????

HE USES A BRASS END FOR THE 24TH FRET SO THAT THE NECK PICKUP STAYS WHERE IT WOULD BE ON A FREAKING 22 FRET GUITAR!!!

This is brilliant, as you now get the best of both worlds, sweet sounding neck pickup with a bigger gap from the bridge, you also get wider sounds when using both pickups, and you get 24 frets.

I dont see ed complaing about this feature, he actually talks about how great it is all the time, it doesnt make any sense.

The argument is horse{censored}, even when you are playing in the open position, 95% of the time you are fretting at least half of the strings. :rolleyes:

• Members

This came up in another recent thread - I don't get it at all - It seems to me that this node is constantly moving as long as your fretting different notes. More frequently I see the opposite of Ed's argument posited for exactly the same reason - That the instrument will sound BETTER if its neck pickup is positioned under this node.

(2.) If you strke the harmonic on a 22 OR 24 fret guitar and note where the pickup is positioned, the pole pieces are rarely exactly under that node.

(3.) I think there may be an argument for fewer frets specifically to place the pickup further forward. I don't think it has to do with this node - I think it moves it further from the bridge and it just sounds better further up. Didn't Godin go FROM a 24 to a 22 fret neck on the LG in order to move the pickup forward? At least I recall reading that here somewhere.

• Members

Ed Roman is an egotistical, 100% asshole SALESMAN . He reminds me of a small town, small time guitar store owner I met one time when passing through during an out of town trip for work. The old guy bashed anything and everything that wasn't in his store, including Carvin (I have a DC) and even said their electrics are made in Korea (false----they are made in California, which I coldy corrected him on). Towards the end of my visit, since he was being an ass, I decided to return the arrogance in his direction to give him a taste of his own. And obviously I didn't buy anything from him. Ed Roman's speeches remind me of that punk, only he is online. :mad:

• Members

I think it has got to be Vegas winners throwing money around. Nothing slse makes sense...

That's what I've said many times.....

You can gamble on the Strip or at Mr.Ed's.

Either you'll hit the Jackpot and get treated like a King, or get the Royal Shaft.

He fits right in down here.

• Members

Did it ever occur to anyone that Ed Roman (and Mike Fuller for that matter) might just act like assholes because of the controversy it generates? I mean if you listen to advertisers, no publicity is bad publicity. And these Ed Roman/Mike Fuller is a twat threads seem to go on for pages and pages. For every one person claiming these guys are dicks, there are ten more that see their names, go check out their websites, and marvel at how much business these "assholes" seem to do. I mean, if they can run such viable businesses while being assholes, there must be something special about their product, right? (I'm not making that argument, just hypothesizing what people who buy from them are thinking)

Just a thought.

• Members

Looks like a baritone ??
:confused:

Not a barritone.I got a '98 LPDC in the disc., Blue Diamond finish.
24 frets, pushing the neck pu back just a bit ,which i like.IMO it
seem less muddy than the standard 22 frets.

Archived