Elixer strings....are they really so special.

tlp123

• Members

They seem to work well with the sound of my electric guitar and I use mediums. I've used other strings and it just doesn't give me as interesting feedback off the amp. Not to mention they never squeak on me, I've had them last ungodly long times without breaking or losing tone much, and they feel like nothing else.

I feel in love with Elixir the first time I strung them on my guitar and I started bending.

Are you guys paying over $10 a pack on them or something? They're around the same price as everything else around here. Maybe a dollar more...but when I've got string on a guitar for a while that one dollar stretches over a long period of time and I don't feel bad.

Besides, you guys have probably lost more money dropping change onto the sidewalk and being too lazy to pick it up than you would by paying the extra money for strings.

Just my two cents.

• Members

Coated strings are so-so in my book, and are actually more expensive than the price tag would indicate, since ONLY the wound strings are coated. I really hate it when they start to shed poly dust all over my guitar.

Arguments about "breaking strings alot so buy the cheapest" do not really apply, unless you are breaking the wound strings (doubtful). Better quality plain wire strings for the high side of the fingerboard may last longer and perfrom better, but that has nothing to do with coatings and everything to do with alloy and end-button wrapping.

• Members

I went through a phase in which I only used Elixirs, but have long since returned to my normal strings because I think they just sound and feel much better (DR for electric, John Pearse for acoustic). And for me the Elixirs don't last much longer than standard strings. It's not that they corroded from my fretting fingers the way most strings eventually die, but the coating on the wound strings would begin to fray off where I pick.

• Members
Originally posted by rivshark86

I only use elixer polyweb lights on my acoustic. Hands down no question, they last forever and sound decent when you put them on. Sound the same when you take them off. On the electic I dont like them too much.

• Members

Originally posted by Distantkool

Hmm...a ton of people say they sound good on acoustics, but not on electrics. What was it about the sound that you didn't like? I'm trying to figure out how one type of strings can suck on one guitar, but if you put them on another, it kicks llama.
:confused:

Like I said in my earlier post, there's nothing wrong with Elixir's on an electric. I've been using them exclusively for about 4 years now on both my acoustic and electric guitars. Honestly, I prefer the sound of the phospher bronze strings on my acoustic, the sound is more full and notes are very bright and poppy. But I've found the Nanoweb acoustic strings to have a very good, bright sound as well, and they are a good compromise for longevity.

I have 2 semi-hollow guitars that pickup every bit of movement on the fretboard, and the Elixir Nanowebs don't have much string squeak compared to a typical nickel wound string. Nanowebs also are fairly bright, very close to a typical nickel string, compared to Polywebs which are a bit darker sounding. To me, there is really no tone difference, but again the longevity is worth the extra couple of bucks.

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Coated strings are so-so in my book, and are actually more expensive than the price tag would indicate, since ONLY the
wound
strings are coated.

Read back a few posts. Elixir coats all 6 strings now.

Archived