Elixer strings....are they really so special.

tlp123

• Members

on an acoustic...hell ya

on an electric...dont think so!

i play with dr tite fit 10s on my electric. They sound, feel and play better than any other string, in my opinion. That and they are cheaper then elixers

• Members

I only use elixer polyweb lights on my acoustic. Hands down no question, they last forever and sound decent when you put them on. Sound the same when you take them off. On the electic I dont like them too much.

• Members

The only thing that sucks is the B and E strings aren't "webbed" so they rust and wear before the others and you still have to change them out. Unless you Fret Fast those strings or someting similar to keep them bright.

• Members

Elixir's are fine on electrics - I use Nanowebs on all of my electrics and they are the best set of strings I've used. Much less string "squeak" and they last a long time. Worth the money IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by JC777

The only thing that sucks is the B and E strings aren't "webbed" so they rust and wear before the others and you still have to change them out.

101504.jpg

Not anymore!

Polywebs are my favorite flavor, even over the nanowebs. Reduced string squeak, play really smooth, last WAY longer, and I haven't broken one since I started using them (I don't play lightly either). They're worth every cent of $10. Most people just hate on 'em cause you can't get them at Wal-Mart for $5.

Why aren't they worth twice that of regular strings if they last twice as long? [or longer, in most cases] :confused:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I use Polyweb .010-.046 strings exclusively for electrics [though I guess it could be inferred]. I haven't found a better string yet.

• Members

Originally posted by mattburnside

I only wish they made them for classical. I sent them an e-mail asking if they planned to and they basically said no.

That kindof stinks. Since they make them for mandolins and banjos, you'd think they'd at least make one flavor for classicals. :confused:

• Members

Well I'll go against the grain and say I don't like them. Taylor guitars ship from the facotry with Elixers on them and imho that's why so many Taylor's sound like sh!# on the wall. Get the Elixers off and put some decent strings on there and see how good a Taylor can really sound. For instance I just had my 814-CE Ltd. set up at the factory. It came back with Elixers on it. They sounded fine (because the guitar was nearly unplayble before due to way too low oaf action) until I put my normal D'Addario's on there and it was like "WOW!" The guitar sounds amazing! Elixers, yuch.

• Members

Another vote here for good on acoustic, not so good on electric. I used to use them on my electrics, but they feel kind of slippery and I realized I didn't like they way they sounded that much. I usually use D'addario (.011) on my electrics over the past couple years. I love the Elixirs (.013) on my acoustic though. They last a long time and feel and sound good to me.

• Members

I only play them on acoustic too. I don't think they sound as good as a decent set of uncoated strings, but regular acoustic strings will only last me about a week and a half. After that they sound and play like {censored}. Elixers are good for about three months.

• Members

Hmm...a ton of people say they sound good on acoustics, but not on electrics. What was it about the sound that you didn't like? I'm trying to figure out how one type of strings can suck on one guitar, but if you put them on another, it kicks llama. :confused:

• Members

not worth it on electrics, IMO. i bought a set since i was going through strings really fast and wanted to see if these would help, but they didn't. i went through two of them in less than a week (not sets, i broke two strings within about five minutes of each other). which is about the same as it takes me to go through other strings.

• Members

Originally posted by bullhead

not worth it on electrics, IMO. i bought a set since i was going through strings really fast and wanted to see if these would help, but they didn't. i went through two of them in less than a week (not sets, i broke two strings within about five minutes of each other). which is about the same as it takes me to go through other strings.

If you break strings every 5 minutes, maybe you should only buy the cheapest strings you can find...

• Members

I use 'em on acoustic and electric. Love the feel of them.

On acoustic they don't have quite the zing of a new set of phosphors but I find that a light eq tweak gets me right where i want to be for recording or live(amplified). And they sound the same to me thru out their usable life, which is usally months for me.

Compare that to new phosphors which sound great at first but will require lots of eq help as they age. Call me lazy but i just don't feel like changing strings on my three main acoustics every couple of weeks.......(pauses for the chorus of "YOU'RE LAZY!!!)

Ditto on electrics. If I restring an electric and then don't play it for a few weeks, the strings will still sound and feel like new whein I pick it up. Regular strings will have already oxidized some in that time without even touching them. Just my experience.

• Members

Originally posted by espgold

I use 'em on acoustic and electric. Love the feel of them.

On acoustic they don't have quite the zing of a new set of phosphors but I find that a light eq tweak gets me right where i want to be for recording or live(amplified). And they sound the same to me thru out their usable life, which is usally months for me.

Compare that to new phosphors which sound great at first but will require lots of eq help as they age. Call me lazy but i just don't feel like changing strings on my three main acoustics every couple of weeks.......(pauses for the chorus of "YOU'RE LAZY!!!)

Ditto on electrics. If I restring an electric and then don't play it for a few weeks, the strings will still sound and feel like new whein I pick it up. Regular strings will have already oxidized some in that time without even touching them. Just my experience.

YOU'RE LAZY!!! ;)

That said, I've let strings sit on an electric for over a year before. :eek:

• Members

Try D'Addario EXL's. They sound closer to typical phosphor bronze strings and last as long as Elixirs...and they're generally cheaper. But nothing beats the sound of fresh 80/20's on an acoustic

Archived