Fattest sounding strat pickups

guitardustin

• Members

I need really fat sounding strat pickups that can still retain a traditional strat sound. I was thinking Fender Vintage Noiseless? Maybe a bad choice for fatness but thats what i've been leaning towards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dustin

• Members

Originally posted by guitardustin

I need really fat sounding strat pickups that can still retain a traditional strat sound. I was thinking Fender Vintage Noiseless? Maybe a bad choice for fatness but thats what i've been leaning towards.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dustin

Strat's are thin sounding guitars. It's the nature of the beast. If you don't like it, get a Tele. The amp and volume you play at has more of an impact on how fat the tone is and not so much the pickups themselves. Humsized single coils don't sound like Strat pickups so you're screwed there. Also, noiseless pickups aren't necessarily fatter and also lose a lot of the single coil characteristics.

I suggest you contact Ben at TrueToneTechnologies and ask him if he could whip you something up. His Strat sets are a steal at $100. Maybe he could wind them fatter.

• Members

If you want the traditional Strat sound, you have to "put up with" the thin sound. That is how Strats sound. You can put fatter sounding pickups in it (single-sized humbuckers, Lace pickups, etc), but it's not going to sound like a Strat anymore.

Just turn your damn amp up or get a better amp. Listen to Hendrix and SRV. They had some damn fat tones with old vintage Strat pickups. It came from their amps though.

• Members

My opinion would be to make a Double FAT out of it. Put a buckee neck and bridge and a Strat SC in the middle. Put coil splits on the HBs and you still get very close to the original Strat tones when split.

I have a S/S/H single Fat Strat Schecter. I not only can split the bridge HB to a single coil, but can choose one coil or the other. So when used with the middle, or one bridge coil by itself, depending on if I use the HB coil closer or farther to the bridge, it sounds like 2 different Strats. The coil closer to the bridge is very bright, and the coil farther from the bridge is much less bright for a bridge. The guitar has a couple of different Strat personas for one guitar.

That being said, if you popped in a few mini toggles, you could choose either coil of either HB of a double Fat Strat, and still use the 5 way normally. I may try that myself...

Or just baseplate the bridge and neck SC PUs

• Members

I'm with AHM. If dey ain't single coils, it aint gonna sound like a Strat.

I personally have a Van Zandt "Blues" PU set in my Strat and it sounds heavenly. Chimey, clear, bell like, allmost flute, or horn sounding. alll the stupid descriptions you can thing of. Expensive, yes. Worth it, hell yes! FYI: I have a cool rails (Humbucking single) in the neck postion of one of my git's, it sounds great mind you, but when you pick up the strat, it sounds like a strat. Noise and all. There's a vibe you can't avoid...

:cool:

• Members

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dustin

Yes, a strat can sound thick if it's setup right

I don't think those pickups will get you where you wanna go..

A lot of strat players will flame me but I think you need a set of emg sa's

Also, an alder body and thick guage fender strings will help

• Members

Originally posted by mockingbich

Yes, a strat can sound thick if it's setup right

I don't think those pickups will get you where you wanna go..

A lot of strat players will flame me but I think you need a set of emg sa's

Also, an alder body and thick guage fender strings will help

Ummmm...he wants the traditional Strat tone. Those EMG's will bring him away from the Strat tone even further than Fender Noiseless pickups.

Thick Strat sounds come from the amp, not the pickups.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Split humbuckers still really don't sound very much like real single coils; they basically sound like thinner humbuckers. I had one in my Tele and it really didn't sound that great. Plus you won't be able to get those signature 2 and 4 tones.

I do not agree, I get 2 different mid/brigde sig 4 tones. I have 4 Strats BTW. So I know what the signature tones are about. Not to mention my Nashville Tele is wired like a Strat, and has a Lil`59er in the middle. I have a toggle and it is all strat in 2 and 4 positions when the lil'59 is split.

Now I did stick to a mild HB for the task. I can see how what you say might be with other than PAF output HBs. I used an SH-1, no shredder PU by any means.

• Members

The Schecter single Fat I mentioned has Vintage Noiseless in the neck and middle, along with that SH-1 HB wired like I said in the bridge.

BTW, these are worth a look too. Fat is their middle name.

SK Guitars Strat S-90s

S-90 : a strat pickup modified with p-90's opposing magnets, adjustable screw polepieces, steel contact bar: Add's some p-90 character to a strat pickup, with additional bass response. My personal favorite for a strat. Also really good as a bridge pickup combined with alnico pickups in neck/ middle positions.

"The perfect rockin/ blues pickup!" "sounds more like a P-90 than a strat pickup!" " I love this pickup! Turn the volume down and it cleans up nicely and still retains all it's definition!" "I've never played a pickup that didn't turn to mud when the volume is rolled off! Makes the neck position on my strat much more usefull!"

• Members

i agree with whats already been posted, use those tone controls and find a thickass, kickass amp!

that being said i love the seymour duncan alnico pro II staggered single coil set. they are a little hotter than stock strat pups which is great for overdriven blues/rock but they still retain that bell-like tone that strats are famous for. also, they are alnico so that "natural warmness" of alnico (compared to traditional ceramics) seem to all add up to a nice meaty sound.

but if its cranked through a good tube amp with the tone rolled back a hair i think its the best tone ever, great for some santana/hendrix type sustained fatness usually associated with that fatass uncle everyone has who is always wobblin' his fatass around while chowin' down on some chilli-dogs and greasy goodness

• Members

if you want the strat sound, then stik with fender pups imho. but you could fatten up your rythms with a single sized humbucker. my jb jr sounds great. and if you split it, ita can quack like a strat :) but if you want the quack, stay with the stock fender :)

that being said, look for another amp :)

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Ummmm...he wants the traditional Strat tone. Those EMG's will bring him away from the Strat tone even further than Fender Noiseless pickups.

Thick Strat sounds come from the amp, not the pickups.

Usually when I hear players saying they want a thicker strat sound it's best to start looking at untraditional pickups.

I agree that if you want a traditional sound any number of passive pickups will work and the amp will probably be the biggest variable...

But to make a strat sound 'thick' with a new pickup emgs are exactly the way to go. Also, there are the duncan hot rails... but they are so hot your strat will lose its "stratness" and start sounding like a les paul

• Members

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Dustin

Oh, what kind of strings are you using? SRV got some thicker tones but he used monstrously heavy strings. 13's I believe. He had 11's on some other strats but they weren't as beefy sounding.

If you can handle playing a guitar with cables like that on it, might want to give it a try.

• Moderators

Originally posted by cvogue

Oh, what kind of strings are you using? SRV got some thicker tones but he used monstrously heavy strings. 13's I believe. He had 11's on some other strats but they weren't as beefy sounding.

Good point.

I think all Fender single-coil guitars sound better with heavy strings... I use flatwound 12's (along with vintage-style or stock pickups) on all my Strats and Teles and I think they respond much better this way.

When Strats, Tele's, Jaguars, etc were designed most guys were using 12's, 13's, or 14's.

• Members

I agree with the other poster that stated "Thick tone comes from the amp." Case in point - any of Bob Mould's stuff with Sugar - that recipe was '80s American Standard Strats with Lace Sensors into a MXR Distortion Plus, then from there split into a pair of Fender Concert 1X12s and a pair of Roland JC120 2X12s. HUGE guitar tone.

• Members

Thanks guys,

I don't want a humbucker sound at all, I don't like the clean humbucker sound at all for my style. I'm thinking I'll just get better Fender singles, I have the stock ones with ceramic magnets in my gigging guitar, and they just aren't exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe I don't want a fatter sound, just a better quality sound lol

Thanks,

Dustin

• Members

Originally posted by cvogue

If you can handle playing a guitar with cables like that on it, might want to give it a try.

Definately go with thicker strings. Going from something like 10's to 11's is barely noticable playability wise, but the tone is appreciably thicker sounding.

Another idea might be to get a new trem block. Supposedly, the Callaham trem blocks make your tone thicker.

www.callahamguitars.com

I got one of the Wilkinson ones from Guitar Fetish and haven't really noticed anything special; so I plan on taking it out. Maybe I'll try a Callaham someday.

• Members

Thanks guys,

I don't want a humbucker sound at all, I don't like the clean humbucker sound at all for my style. I'm thinking I'll just get better Fender singles, I have the stock ones with ceramic magnets in my gigging guitar, and they just aren't exactly what I'm looking for. Maybe I don't want a fatter sound, just a better quality sound lol

Thanks,

Dustin

The stock MIM's are actually pretty thick sounding as far as Strat pickups go. If you're going the Fender route, I've heard great things about the Fat 50's and the Custom Shop 54's. You might also want to fire off an email to Ben at TTT. Those sets are just so dirt cheap for custom wound deals and he'll give you exactly what you want. Make sure you ask how long it'll take though and stick it to him.

www.truetonetechnologies.com

I also like the Kent Armstrong Tweedtones. Vintage Clubber sells them for ~$100 per set.

If you don't mind spending more, I'd look into Fralins and Van Zandts. You'd be looking at around $225-250 per set though if you go new. Used you could score some for $150-175. Watch the "Accessories Emporium" at thegearpage.net. There seem to be a lot of used sets of Strat pickups they for very good prices.

www.thegearpage.net

• Members

I think the Fender CS'54's might work well, maybe the CS'50's as well.

You should spend some time at the Fender Forum, they have been over and over this and almost every other strat topic you can think of. Good people over there too. I think someone above posted a link to the P'up tent, a pick up review area. That may be a good place to start.

For myself, I have an EMG DG-20 set in my strat. I really like them for what they are, quiet, powerful, versatile, huge sounding. They don't do the traditional strat tones very well. I've had them for about 4 years and I'm thinking of switching them out for some Fender CS'54's, and I want it to be as fat as it can be while still being single coils and sounding like a strat.

I use a Mesa Mark IV.

Like others have said, it's hard to have "traditional strat sounds" as well as "fat fat sounds, aka humbuckers"..... I have to agree with what others have said about the amp being used, it can have a huge impact on overall fatness.

• Members

fat tone on strat:

1. turn down treble on amp, keep bass and mids at least at halfway.

2. at least 10 gauge strings

3. max fatness, turn down tone knobs halfwayish give or take some depending on taste.

4. Get rid of stock fender pick ups. (i dont know if you have a fender or not, im just sayin)

I played am std pick ups for around 6 years. they sound really good compared to the stock standard ones.

however, when i put in my rio grande tallboys, god damn, things were just better all around. Bigger, open sound. It sounded like a piano now. Smoother highs, clear precise bass. Less quack than tex mexishy style pick ups. Those sound very good too, i like those. Fender makes a ton of the, and for cheaper than any rio grande pick ups.

I play an 80's japanese standard hardtail strat. with rio grane tallboys, into a 12 ft cable into a fender blues jr.

when playing lead, clean, i usually have my guitar tone from 4-7 depending on what i need to cut through.

my amp is really squashed on the treble but the mids and bass are always turned up past halfway.

turn up the amp so that it starts sound juicy. speakers like to be pushed a little. just like your home stereo, sounds like dog {censored} when played quietly.

• Members

the quality of tone from low to high with the tallboys was like night and day.

yea, it still sounds just like a strat, but everything is clear and precise like a piano would be.

You hit a bass string, and it just projects like thats its job.

the stock fender am standard pick ups never did that. I realized i wasnt really hearing much all those years.

im sure any aftermarket pick up would be killer. Hook it up.

Archived