OT the Cream reunion concerts.

69lespaul

• Members

Clapton's playing has never been as good as when he was with Cream.He never matched the tone he had in Cream.In years after it seemed his tone got thinner and thinner.........(i am not bashin' Clapton,I am a fan)....But Damn that tone in Cream was to die for.......................P.S. his playing was much more imaginative also (Hmm, wonder if it had anythin to do with the psychedelics...)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by crossroads69

Gibson's doin a Clapton 335.....where did ya read that?

I can't wait to see what guitar Clapton will play.........my bet is on the Crashocaster.

Maybe they'll have some guests like Steve Winwood and do few Blind faith numbers.

Apparently he had Gibson make him a few 335s, and (I think) a Fool SG recreation for the shows.

• Members

Originally posted by sitamoia50

Clapton's playing has never been as good as when he was with Cream.He never matched the tone he had in Cream.In years after it seemed his tone got thinner and thinner.........(i am not bashin' Clapton,I am a fan)....But Damn that tone in Cream was to die for.......................P.S. his playing was much more imaginative also (Hmm, wonder if it had anythin to do with the psychedelics...)

I am a huge fan also. And I agree with you partly Sitamoia. His music just changed direction after Cream and Blind Faith. I don't agree that he sounds "thin" but definitely not the same in the 70's to date. Hey maybe it was the dope. LOL.

Although when I saw his tour in 99 or 01 his tone and playing were in-freaking-credible.

• Members

Originally posted by 69lespaul

I am a huge fan also. And I agree with you partly Sitamoia. His music just changed direction after Cream and Blind Faith. I don't agree that he sounds "thin" but definitely not the same in the 70's to date. Hey maybe it was the dope. LOL.

Although when I saw his tour in 99 or 01 his tone and playing were in-freaking-credible.

He's a different animal when he plays live. I've been fortunate to see him on his last three American tours, and his tone has never been better.

But it will be nice to hear him tear into those old Cream standards with that 335!

• Members
Originally posted by ECFan

He's a different animal when he plays live. I've been fortunate to see him on his last three American tours, and his tone has never been better.

But it will be nice to hear him tear into those old Cream standards with that 335!

Won't it EC? I am quivering with anticipation. Whoah baby that sounded a little GHEY!!!!! :D :D

• Members
Originally posted by sitamoia50

No I disagree hes just more polished now, a better player imo, yes the rawness has gone but I think he has developed his style into something that is instantly recognisable, he never misses a note and can play many styles, electric and acoustic, just my opinion :D

• Members

Just watch commercials on TV. Claptons music is in every 3rd commercial. {censored} even the Clash are in some. Next there will be a Pregnancy Test Commercial with The Sex Pistols "Bodies"

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

you know.... the first time I saw YES in 19nevermind, I paid $5.oo Canadian for my ticket...and we were on the ice. Boy would I hate to be the parent of a teenager these days.

Nothing wrong with being a geezer. I saw Yes at the Hollywood Bowl back in 75'. I had box seats for $4.75 each. That was mail order too. No ticket brokers back then thank god.

Took my son (17) to see them last year with Dream Theater. Tickets were like.........alot:D

• Members

Clapton's playing has evolved into dinstinctive styles.....the foundation is the same but the way he builds on that changes with time.....

If you listen to live EC from 60s to now......the playing has gone through stages.So he had a different approach in the "Bluesbreaker-Cream"(tonewise-its all woman and gibson)..........a distinct chnage in the 70s in the "Layla-Just one night" peroid (tonewise gets thinner but very strattyn blackie :) )......listen to live mid-80s its again different (tone wise the midboosted signature strat)....and now to the crossroads festival.Each time you listen you know its EC and can identity with the period.I don't think many guitarists can claim to have that.

just to sample what i have tried to say maybe you can listen to some live stuff like

-"Sunshine of your love"-1967-8
-Got to get better in little while (D&D-Fillmore)-1970
-Double Trouble (Blues-live)-1978-80
-Old love (24 nights) -1990
-I shot the sheriff (Crossroads festival)-2004

EC is God!!

• Members

I think his playing was at its peak during Cream. Disraeli Gears and Wheels of Fire are his best performances. The wah work on DG is A+++ and of course Crossroads on WoF - what can you say?

He evolved as a songwriter/frontman after Cream ended and he charted a rather sucessful solo career, wouldn't you say?

His tone fit the music he was writing and playing. I Shot the Sheriff or Lay Down Sally wouldn't sound the same as a heavy cream song. You can get just as fat of a tone from a Strat (see Jimi Hendrix and many, many others).

Speaking of Jimi, the JHE was the best trio of all time IMO. Bruce was a better bassist and singer than Redding but come on - Jimi and MM?

I've seen EC a few times over the years but the last time was the best. Mark Knopfler - "special guest" - 3rd row seats. Yes, I was in heaven. EC & MK playing together with Nathan East on bass.

Of course JJ Cale wrote a few mega hits for him.

• Members

yeah thats very true....his tone and playing perfectly suited the music he was writing.and the seventies live stuff on the strat is just as good as the live CREAM stuff....infact he seems more sure of what he wants to play.....

I take CREAM over JHE..........!!!EC was equally brilliant as Jimi if not better :D and Baker's drumming never sounded better.

It was different in one way....JHE was more Jimi and a good rhyhm section whereas CREAM .....Baker and bruce can hardly be called a rhythm section.All three played with amazing virtuosity..........it was mayhem!!

• Members

Don't get me wrong - I think EC is fantastic, and I always will. But Jimi had it all over him musically. EC never wrote anything as beautiful and musically intricate as Little Wing or The Wind Cries Mary. Learning how to play those two songs is like taking a hundred guitar lessons.

And Crossroads is EC's best recorded live performance, it pales in comparison to Machine Gun on BoG.

Of course they both were huge fans of each other. The first thing Jimi asked when he found out he was going to London was "Can I meet EC?"

And of course EC came to see him at a night club. Imagine the pressure. You look out into the audience and see EC, Pete Townsend, Jeff Beck, Keith Richards, etc. watching you.

And they leave after the show shaking their heads.

• Members

Well just like u think of Litlle wing...for me stuff like layla and old love seem musically equal to anything thats out there.Its very subjective matter......

After watching Jimi,EC thought his career was finished !! But guess that spurred him to get better.......just like Jimi excelled at guitar theatrics,Ec was more melodic......and lets compare machine gun to Cream-Live at winterland or Derek and Dominos-Live at fillmore....i bought the fillmore and Jimi's isle of wight cdsets togther...for me the fillmore just rules!again thats subjective...

as for EC-live at the crossroads festival..........I am sure he would have invited his pal Jimi had he lived and then we could have compared!!btw whatta show that would be

so EC versus Jimi would just be like strat vs lespaul ything...each one would have his own thing rto say.....but in the end both have enriched our lives with all that fabulous music.

• Members

I think Jimi was more experimental than EC. I enjoy Jimi and often wonder what the future would have held for him, but for enjoyment, I tend to favor Clapton most times. JMO, the man has the soul of blues working through his fingertips, and with the Crossroads and his 2001 concert performances, I think he's doing some of his finest work. It's just different from the Cream, Bluesbreakers, and Derek period. No worse, just different. (Although, there has been some poppish drivel)

• Members
Originally posted by BigBlueVic

I think Jimi was more experimental than EC. I enjoy Jimi and often wonder what the future would have held for him, but for enjoyment, I tend to favor Clapton most times. JMO, the man has the soul of blues working through his fingertips, and with the Crossroads and his 2001 concert performances, I think he's doing some of his finest work. It's just different from the Cream, Bluesbreakers, and Derek period. No worse, just different. (Although, there has been some poppish drivel)

Yeah the 80's wash full of drivel :D

Archived