Just found a 30 year old photo...

Jkater

• Members

I just found this picture, looking through my stuff. I've spoken here and there on this forum about this old Gibson SG custom I bought used as a teenager in the early 70's and sold a couple of years later for as cheap as I had paid it myself. How much do you reckon it would be worth today?

Here it is :

SGcustom0001.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by sitamoia50

Drugs were much better back then...........altho the guy that took the pic had a little too much i'd say. But then again the 70's were a blur anyways huh?..................P.s. jus jokin'

no way in green hell were the drugs better back then.

Acid was lighter and cleaner, but if you are talking about Marijuana, jeeez, the stuff has gotten more than twice as strong in just the last 10 years!

• Members
Originally posted by No Soul

no way in green hell were the drugs better back then.

Acid was lighter and cleaner, but if you are talking about Marijuana, jeeez, the stuff has gotten more than twice as strong in just the last 10 years!

....You need to roll one up and smoke it asap..........It was just kinda a joke,you take your drugs a little too serious.I used to but after my 12th trip to rehab I finally decided to give myself a break and get on with my life. Like Steven Tyler once said "i used to be a musician that dabbled in drugs,but soon became a druggy that dabbled in music". Sad, I pawned some really nice guitars at my lowpoint.But they say everything happens for a reason,and life is very good a this time!

• Members

Originally posted by Bmajor

...or put it up on Ebay with a high reserve and see what happens.

I don't have it anymore. I sold it before the price of these guitars soared sky high few years later.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

It's a 1972 SG Custom.

1972_SG_Custom.jpg

Check with the guys on the forum at
EverythingSG.

Someone there should know what they are worth.

Thanks for the link!

That's quite like it! Except it can't have been from 1972 because mine in 1974 looked like a good few years old. Especially the hardware was well worn with much of the gold gone from the trem bar and, to a lesser degree, the pup's. Speaking of hardware, one difference with the one shown in your post is that the name "Gibson" was embossed just about everywhere : on each pick-ups, on the Bigsby and, of course, on the tuners. My wild uneducated guess is that it may have been from the mid-sixties but more research and the folks at EverythinSG may be of help. I never thought of writing the serial nr. unfortunately.

• Members

Originally posted by silent-strat

What kind of amp is that? Marshall JMP combo?

That amp in the pic is a Marshall but it belonged to the other guy so which one it is, I don't know. Mine was a Univox 100W in blue vinyl (or tolex). The speaker cabinet was of eight 10" speakers in one box and had a stunning look to it. When I think of all the cool stuff I once owned in those years, it makes me wish I had had a crystal ball back then to see how, a few decades later, I wish I had kept them all. I also miss my Hagstrom Impala, a wonderful weird guitar that played great.

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

I just found this picture, looking through my stuff. I've spoken here and there on this forum about this old Gibson SG custom I bought used as a teenager in the early 70's and sold a couple of years later for as cheap as I had paid it myself. How much do you reckon it would be worth today?

Here it is :

SGcustom0001.jpg

It's worth $450 tops. I will be generous and take it off your hands for $500 plus shipping!:o

• Members

Originally posted by ottobahn

It's worth $450 tops. I will be generous and take it off your hands for $500 plus shipping!
:o

If I still had it, no problem. That sounds like a very generous offer... :D

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

Thanks for the link!

That's quite like it! Except it can't have been from 1972 because mine in 1974 looked like a good few years old. Especially the hardware was well worn with much of the gold gone from the trem bar and, to a lesser degree, the pup's. Speaking of hardware, one difference with the one shown in your post is that the name "Gibson" was embossed just about everywhere : on each pick-ups, on the Bigsby and, of course, on the tuners. My wild uneducated guess is that it may have been from the mid-sixties but more research and the folks at EverythinSG may be of help. I never thought of writing the serial nr. unfortunately.

This version of the SG Custom began production in 1972, and appears to have lasted only a year, if my Gruhns Guide serves me correctly. The humbucker covers with the gibson logo were produced in '71-'72.

• Members

Originally posted by Clyde42

This version of the SG Custom began production in 1972, and appears to have lasted only a year, if my Gruhns Guide serves me correctly. The humbucker covers with the gibson logo were produced in '71-'72.

That's not impossible. I think I got it in '74 but it could have been '75. I bought it used in a music store for like $400 canadian which is very cheap. It was far from mint and, as I said, the hardware was well worn. That can happen in a couple of years, of course, so your statement could well be true.

Edit: Many years later, a friend of mine who's a studio musician said to me that it had become meanwhile a collector's item and would be worth quite a bit of money on the vintage market. Whether he knew what he was talking about on this, I don't know.

• Members

Originally posted by sitamoia50

....You need to roll one up and smoke it asap..........It was just kinda a joke,you take your drugs a little too serious.I used to but after my 12th trip to rehab I finally decided to give myself a break and get on with my life. Like Steven Tyler once said "i used to be a musician that dabbled in drugs,but soon became a druggy that dabbled in music". Sad, I pawned some really nice guitars at my lowpoint.But they say everything happens for a reason,and life is very good a this time!

My response was a joke (though what I said was true)

Ive actually been drug free for near 6 years now, and never had a habitual problem with them.

• Members

If I remember right... 71-72 was the years for the engraved pickup covers... I thought they were used as late as 74 .... I really don't remember. Sounds like it was a gigging guitar.. two years on the road takes a toll.... Cool old pic dude!

Archived