Bad Ass Godin LG P90

dgassie

• Members

As reported on other places on the Internet, these P90 guitars can lean towards a very dark sound. That's correct, they do.

Some have said the fix is just a quick change of the cap on the tone pot. That's NOT correct. What's needed is a pot change to 500k instead of the stock 250's. After the mod, this all mahogany axe is a true monster. The feel is tremendous and the tone is incredible.

Go find one and try it out. Just remember that after the pot change, it'll get a hundred times better.

Dan

• Members
Originally posted by dgassie

As reported on other places on the Internet, these P90 guitars can lean towards a very dark sound. That's correct, they do.

Some have said the fix is just a quick change of the cap on the tone pot. That's NOT correct. What's needed is a pot change to 500k instead of the stock 250's. After the mod, this all mahogany axe is a true monster. The feel is tremendous and the tone is incredible.

Go find one and try it out. Just remember that after the pot change, it'll get a hundred times better.

Dan

Good to hear. I drove about 150 miles to try one of them out once and it was the most disappointing gear trip I've ever made. Nice enough guitar,but the tone was dullsville USA squared.:cool:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Dan

I just purchased a brand new Godin LG SP90, and it has factory fitted 500k pots, ... not 250k (???)

• Members

Sorry for the double post ....

My new Godin LG SP90 has 500k pots, which came with the guitar, brand new. Maybe the older models had 250k.

My serial number is 04xxxxxx, so I guess that means a 2004 model (?).

I've changed the volume pot to a DiMarzio 500, as the original 500k pot was faulty (as is the way with lower priced guitars).

So, do all my fellow LG SP90 owners use 10-46 strings?

• Members
Originally posted by Snowcow

Sorry for the double post ....

My new Godin LG SP90 has 500k pots, which came with the guitar, brand new. Maybe the older models had 250k.

My serial number is 04xxxxxx, so I guess that means a 2004 model (?).

I've changed the volume pot to a DiMarzio 500, as the original 500k pot was faulty (as is the way with lower priced guitars).

So, do all my fellow LG SP90 owners use 10-46 strings?

Don't have that guitar but if I did I would probably use either 10.5 or 11 through 44 like I do on all my guitars.

• Members

My S# says 02xxxxxxxxxxx and are 250k. I am amazed at the neat solders and nice shielded paint etc on this guitar. The pots do look cheap and the switch is a cheapo but I have zero problems with my older axe. It is dark for p90s but nice for less distorted playing - blues and classic rock etc. I am amazed they are not one trick ponies!!

I may try the 500k mod sometime - i will folow this post to see the results and opinions from you all in the mean time.

Archived