Indy musicians and singles...

Lemon Crush

• Members

one of the ways is to give your songs and album to a label, and the label licences the music to a digital distributor

look at the independent label list at Zebralution, which is a leading distributor of independent artists and independent labels:

Labels:

http://www.zebralution.com/home/php/nbout.php?bname=en_catalogue&view=detail

Licencees:

http://www.zebralution.com/home/php/nbout.php?bname=en_network&view=detail

• Members

We've had this discussion man times in my band. There are many things to consider. Full lengths vs EP vs Single etc.

It depends on your goals and your own media network. Your social media presence and your on-line network all together can be deceptive. If you are releasing a single on-line it can "feel" like you've released something, but it could be about the same as playing a show in your living room with all your friends over.

We've heard all the "new industry" ideas from all the "experts" but not a single one of them is in our van with us. They always seem to forget that when you're just starting out PRESS is what you need the most. Hell you need press just to get booked out of town these days. The quality of your band means NOTHING, even to small time rock clubs. You must get press.

If you break it down, a new band's press is going to be about 90% reviews. If you want to try and get press reviews from a single, please, be my guest. It won't happen! Sure maybe a blog here and there will post your "single" but everyone's finally starting to realize that this is NOT press! It's just a blip on a screen 99 times out of 100. You can get some reviews for EP's but it'll come out to about 50% of what you would get with a full length.

That's the hole in the theory. Crack open your local Alt Weekly paper and check out the music section. Chances are there's a review page for new acts. See any singles? See an EP here and there maybe? If you want traction (in the real world) you still have to put out records. Sure some kid can go viral at any moment with a single. That really doesn't prove much. It does prove that you should have a video up for every "single" you chose to throw into the ocean of the internet. At least that way you have a one and a billion chance.

Lots of theories about what to do these days. I fall into the making records camp. Hell, you need to trim the fat from 10 songs down to 4 just to get a real "single" anyway. If you're going to write 10, you might as well right 12 and edit down to 8. At least that way you can have a CD release show and get some local press going.

All just my opinions from the trenches.

• Members

I've never really understood the obsession with unknown bands releasing EPs as their main form of getting their music out. They put their four best songs on an EP, like a "quadruple A-side", if you see what I mean. The fact that all the songs are "singles" nullifies the potential that any one them has to stand out from the rest, so the EP comes across as an old-skool single, with the first track being the single and the other three being b-sides.

• Members

Well, there are many dreamers, and in general music is a very nice hobby, and by no means is there any pressure from the general public that you must release anything,

here how it works: one day the general public will knock on your door and say: "I just had this gut feeling that in this house lives the greatest musician nobody knows, can you give me some mp3'?

• Members

Absolute best of course is ---> to wait until your wealthy parents died, and then invest the inherited cash into promotion, for example renting a Chessna and throw free CD single over populated territory on little parachutes and a hundred dollar bill in the sleeve.

You will be world famous in a week !!!

And not only that, you will be a hero, because you gave it away for free, you become an ambassador of UNICEF, meet the Queen, Bob Geldof and talk shows in 192 countries want you as a guest.

• Members

Unless you're hipsters, then being "good" is frowned upon. HA!

Speaking of which, you still behind enemy lines?

Haha! Well played :thu:

I'm touched that you remember that I'm the guy who can't stand the "indie hipster" ethic, the whole "it's not good unless it's terrible" mentality. Yes, still dealing with them, but I've discovered that I can bypass the NYC hipster scene by sticking to the internet. It's not as fun, but it's gratifying to be building an actual fanbase (even though they're spread out all over the world).

Archived