Electromatic Duojet review

aerorockjax

• Members

I was at GC today in Jacksonville, Fl and fisrt thing that caught my eye were the grestches. I saw the $499 Gretsch Electromatic (low end) duojets. I gave it a good test drive. It sure looks really cool and not too far away from a real gretsch duojet. Comfortable weight(not heavy). The pickups sounded decent but not as great as i hoped.

Heres what sucked bigtime with this guitar, I couldn't get the damn thing in tune and kept going out more after a drop of playing. It was a real pain. The tuners have really cheesy feel which may be partially to blame but my bet is the nut is poorly cut. It has roller bridge. The intonantion was a bit off but thats an easy fix. I spent good time with the guitar troubleshooting cause i really wanted to like this duojet. The nut did look ok from inspection (without taking strings off though). Streching didn't help, strings weren't really old, but perhaps strings were improperly installed but it shouldn't have been this bad. Ignoring the tuning issue(which is hard to do) the bigsby feel was smooth and feel of neck and playablility feel were ok good.

• Members

You have to be able to separate setup issues from more serious structural problems. It's difficult to do until you get the guitar home and have a chance to work it over.

When you buy from Guitar Center, you just don't get the service that a really good shop would provide. A decent smaller, independent retailer would probably be willing to set the guitar up for you so you could try it under optimal conditions. A lot of people pass on perfectly good--if not potentially great--guitars simply because they have crappy strings and the truss rod needs a tweak.

Archived