Trying to sell my songs to production music libraries

Giorgi

• Moderators
Yeah I think that's the main issue here. I mean I can hear a very slight difference, but to me it would boil down to taste.

Anyhow, I decided I would try to get a pair of KRK RP5s, anybody can vouch for those? Most reviews are good. Bare in mind I have limited cash right now and that's as much money as I can spend. Will have to put them symetrically in my room and then have the whole equidistant triangle thing between the two speakers and my ears.

Also, I noticed that I have a really big "flutter" (or "flamming" dont remember what its called exactly) thing going on in my room (like a really short delay when you clap your hands for example). For that reason I might also build panels and stuff, won't be able to get a "cloud' though (panel hanging on the ceiling). Do I need two panels? one for each parallel wall to the speaker?

actually, an asymetrical solution would likely be better to break up the VSWR (vertical standing wave ratio) in the room, which is partially what you are hearing...corners are also a concern...how large is the room? If you can't break up the ceiling surface, are there light fixtures on the ceiling from which you could suspend a solid cardboard or foam panel?

• Members

Hey daddymack,

The room is 14,5ft on 8ft. If I keep my table placed the way it is, the monitors would end up along the long wall at ~5ft and 9,5ft, that's not the center of the 14,5 feet wall :p It's weird because I specifically watched a tutorial made by Francis Buckley who said that it should all be symmetrical. it would be better if I didn't have to move all this stuff.

Yeah that suspending idea sounds nice !

• Moderators

I have looked at both sides of the symmetry thing, and am not convinced it is as critical as the distance from the monitors, efficiency of the monitors and the skill of the mixer ;)

To me, you want the room to have flat response...that may be difficult to accomplish, but the 'deader' the room, the better it is for mixing with reference monitors. There is no absolute, here, either, because there are so many variables to consider, and each room will present its own unique challenges. My old studio, for instance, a converted 16' x 20' garage that I soundproofed using anechoic foam originally had no ceiling....which was better, since I could make the ceiling variable heights, with baffling, to break the VSWR. Ultimately the room was a far better rehearsal space than recording room, but had to serve as both. I also recently worked on our keyboard player's studio, which is 10' by 28', and partially below ground level; the ceiling height is 12' :eek: ...we installed a series of baffling panels with pyramid foam on the ceiling, and used packing blankets to deaden the walls... the recordings we have done in there have turned out reasonably well; as to mixing...well, I have not been doing the mixing in there, so I can't say....but because of the narrow width of the room, I know there is a 'challenge' with the monitor angles.

• Members

Hey, so I'll study this topic further but since you're here I might as well get your opinion on this:

my right monitor will be standing right next to a closet (check photo), would it be necessary to use an absorbing panel where I marked the X? Once again according to the tutorial I saw that's approximately where the left monitor would be reflecting off. Oh also, the other "short wall" of the room is made almost entirely of glass, like a giant window.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/14092011844.jpg/

• Members

Okay sure, but I don't really know where to start with the mixes. Do you mean the levels of audio and global eqing etc (as in mastering) or the actual mixes?

I know that If your recording an orignal project and you want it to sound A + IMHO I would look seriously back in time at a 2 inch ANALOG ROOM . Then dump to Digital. i.e. pro tools.

Also YOull need two lawyers , one watching the others back.LOL!

ANyway, RIght now its so hard out there to really hit with a tune iots gotta be soo catchy that when the person walks out of the club they just cant get that "riff" or "melody" out of their head. Thats rare. Buts thats writing. I find people who write less and concentrate on melody song construction and just having a good product out of the gate " BIO". WIll get some attention. A lot of bands like to now a days do it all on their own . Or as much as possible.

A friends band of mine where I teach in Fla won a radio contest and in Sept. , Hey that coming up they have a showcase with the majors. They are polished. But remember . YOu can rub a Les Paul til it shines all the way thru . But with no groove or catchy line . Umm? You get the idea. Theres so much to consider .I have a music atty that I consult with.

I have had been on two pretty large tours ion the past .One with a former member of SABBATH and one with the guy who REaLLY SANG "GIRL YOU KNOW ITS TRUE " FUnny I know but IT yielded a great funk tour for three yrs and put some $ in my pocket. By the way . I like your mix. Its a bit hot but a good mix down will do it justice . good luck.

Archived