Strat or Tele

JcKerr

• Members

Hey, i have a good LP i want a good single coil guitar... it pretty much comes down to a strat or a tele.... i don't want any hums, just all single coils on it... which would you choose and why? also i don't want to spend more than 400 bucks... so should i go with a mim or what? thanks!

• Members

Because which ever you get, if you get a good one, you will want the other in short order...

So choose the one which the music you will play on it is most desirable for IMO. If you do blues and any countrish, the Tele would come first.

I am guessing a Strat would come first for the average HB player, then a Tele. Although I had 2 LPs in the 80s, and got a Tele. But after not playing for 20 years I started out on a Strat, then a Tele. Actually a few Strats, then a few Teles.

My only HB git is a EPI Dot with the 79 LP HBs I pulled out of the LP for Dimarzios SDs way back when, still had em a box. ;)

• Members

I used to have a MIM strat that got stolen... i ended up putting a duncan jb junior in the bridge because i wanted a fatter tone, but now i have an tokai love rock for that...

I play mostly classic rock, some heavier stuff, blues.... etc...

I'm leaning towards a tele, how are the MIM ones... what should I look for when picking one out, resonance, frets, etc or is there anything else.

• Members

I have owned plenty of both and love both - and if I could only have one it would be a Strat hands down. A little more versatility to work with and better for classic rock and blues.

If your limit is $400 then you're definitely getting a MIM if you want brand new. If it doesn't have to be new you might find a used MIA Fender or G&L in your price range.

~Blackbelt

• Members

Tele, for these reasons:

Not quite as common as Strats are these days, so it'd be a bit different. The string response of a Strat is further away from a short-scale guitar, like a Gibson, so if you like how your Gibby plays but want the single coil tone, a Tele will do that for you.

Tremolo's don't do a whole lot of good for tone, IMO.

I also think a Tele is more versatile, but this is pretty subjective.

• Members
Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

My vote would be to go with a P90 'Strat...

And yes, P90's are 'single coils'...

Your 'normal' Tele or Strat will sound anemic after playing one of these for a while.
:cool:

That's disgusting... ;):D:cool:

• Members

Basically the choice is yours depeding on what you want to do. i personally have both a mexican strat and tele and i love both of them for their own unique style. the single coil hum thing is something that you cannot avoid. it is a sacrafice that you must make for the single coil tone. because you play a lp you might be more comfortable with a tele because a tele is more similar to a lp control wise than a strat.

• Members

Only you can tell which you prefer. They're quite different. If I had to have one of the other it would be a Strat, but that's me.

If your budget is $400 look at G&L tributes instead of Fenders though. Much better guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by marcpolo

the single coil hum thing is something that you cannot avoid. it is a sacrafice that you must make for the single coil tone.

you can avoid it if/when you use both pickups - have them wired to be reverse polarity from each other

Archived