Phat Cats?

bullpencoach

• Members

I'd like to swap out the 490/498 combo for some p-90s. Has anyone given the Phat Cats a whirl? How do they stack up against the comparable Kent Armstrongs? I'm interested in the Harmonic Design Z-90s as well, but those are pricier.

I'm looking for good clean and slightly overdriven tones.

Thanks!

• Members
Originally posted by bullpencoach

I'd like to swap out the 490/498 combo for some p-90s. Has anyone given the Phat Cats a whirl? How do they stack up against the comparable Kent Armstrongs? I'm interested in the Harmonic Design Z-90s as well, but those are pricier.

Thanks!

Depends on what you want them to sound like. I like my P90's to sound pretty authentic so I really don't like the Phat Cats or the Harmonic Designs. Or the Rio Grande models. They all sound quite a bit different than a true P90 tone. Maybe you'll like that tone. I like the P94's a whole bunch,as well as the Lindy's(not sure of a model number or name) GFS has a couple of cheapies that sound pretty good. I haven't owned or tried the KA's but everything I've heard is positive.

• Members

The Fat Cats are going cheap on EBay at the moment. This is probably due in no small part to the scathing indictment they have received here on the HC Forums.

Same with the Rio Grandes - I just happen to have a set for sale.

The Z-90s are fairing better on EBay and they're pretty hard to come by. I have one Z-90 bridge PU for sale (and another set on hold for the moment.)

• Members
Originally posted by bullpencoach

Thanks!

I stand by the Kent Armstrongs as being one of the best bang for the buck HB Size P-90 products out there! :o

redhotmama3.jpg

Archived