Protools 002 and Rhapsody (PC)

• Members

I want to have Rhapsody and Protools co-exist on the same computer. It seems to me that being able to have a music service like Rhapsody in my studio would be a very valuable thing. Instant reference would be really cool. I would not have a mail setup and would only use Rhapsody, I know it is risky to have your music computer hooked up to the internet. Do other forum members see this as a kind of roulette?

So I load rhapsody and it does not work. I can play CD

Well, IMO, keeping your DAW machine completely off line is generally a good idea... I don't have mine online, and IMO, you're less likely to pick up spyware and viruses that way. For me, it's not worth the risk of messing up a machine that I rely on for my work, and I'd rather just use standard CD's for my reference material. We've got a thread about reference CD's that you might want to check out for some suggested reference material. :)

I use one of my two internet connected PC's in the house to do my DAW software upgrade downloads, then I virus scan them and burn them to a CD (or USB "thumb drive") and then "sneakernet" them to the studio, where they get virus checked a second time before I load them into the DAW.

I've never used Rhapsody, so I can't give you specifics about that program / service - sorry. :( But hopefully someone else will chime in with recommendations / answers for you on that part of your question.

The Digi 002 has three possible sets of drivers available for it. The stock Digidesign drivers that Pro Tools LE uses, and also ASIO and MME drivers. Those come on the PT LE installation disk, and you have to choose to install them. ASIO is useful if you plan on using your 002 with third party software that requires ASIO drivers, such as Cubase. The MME drivers will allow you to use your 002 as a "super sound card" for Windows system sounds and Media Player programs... Rhapsody may require that those are installed for it to operate and play music through your 002. You would also probably have to set the 002 as your default audio device in the Windows Control Panel - let me know if you need instructions on how to do that. But the MME drivers have had a rather spotty history, and some people have had problems with the Digi MME drivers. If you have a secondary sound card, you might want to use that for the system sounds and multimedia (Windows Media Player et al) playback instead of your 002, and keep the Digi dedicated to DAW software use. That's what I do - I use a M-Audio 2496 as my "secondary" audio card.

• Members

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. My reason for wanting Rhapsody in the studio is not really for reference in the sense of getting to know the room and speakers, but to be able to cite a drum part that you like or the way an effect was used. The few clients I

Archived