Time for New Monitors?

• Members

Have a pair of Tannoy PBM6.5's. Great response for some types of music i.e. country etc. Noticed that my Boss DR-880 drum machine has some nice new sounds, thru headphones, the extended "bottom" of a kick drum really shines. Thru the Tannoys, it's not there. Any choices of some monitors that will do justice for the new sounds? Budget under $1K.

Thnaks

• Members

Adding onto what where02190 said, are you sure that your headphones are not displaying your sound inacurately, and your Tannoys are telling you the truth?

Usually, headphones are less honest than a good set of monitors. However they can be more pleasing to the ear; so not to burst your bubble, but perhaps your drum machine is not as up to par as you thought, and your headphones are just portraying them better than they actually are?

Of course I could be way off track here, but getting new monitors may be a little extreme at this point.

How do your favorite mixes sound on them (versus the headphones)?

I used to be a PBM6.5 owner years ago. There isn't a lot "there" below about 60 Hz or so... but some people like them, and it is possible to do good work on them... but if you're looking for a significant step up and have a good amplifier already, and only a grand (max) to spend, you should probably consider the ADAM ANF10's.

Here's a review in SOS.

Here's the EQ Magazine review.

And you can purchase them from here, or if you prefer, from here.

IMO, they eat those PBM's for lunch.

• Members

If you find that you DO need new monitors. I second Phil's nomination for the Adam ANF10s. I still can't believe how great they sound (especially for looking so puny)! The stereo Imaging is superb and they are MUCH less fatiguing than my previous monitors (Event 20/20 bas). Before purchasing them I auditioned what seemed like millions of monitors - IMO these are THE best in this price range!

If you decide to upgrade you won't be disapointed with ADAMs

:D

mike

Archived