P-90 soapbars in a Strat

JcKerr

• Members

You can get single coil sized ones here:

www.vintagevibeguitars.com

However, if I were going to go with P-90's in a Strat, I'd want soapbars as they look cool.

You'd need to get a new pickguard, if you wanted to put soapbars in them. I really don't see anyway you could modify a SSS Strat pickguard for P-90's without totally mutilating it.

You can get custom pickguards made at these two places. WD Music (www.pickguards.com) charges out the ass though. I got a custom made one for a Tele copy and they charged $70. I won't buy from them again.

www.pickguards.com

www.warmoth.com

• Members

I've got a swimming pool routed POS epi strat... i want soapbars... i think i'm going to leave the MIM stock bridge pup in the middle position so i still have some kind of strat tone.. i think with a dremel i could make the right sized holes for the soapbars? i think it would look sweet! i'm thinking about getting the mighty mite ones off of e-bay cause they're only like $30 bucks for a set and if i really like it maybe getting a real pickguard and some sd's or something... how would I wire them up.. could they be wired the same as the strat single coils?

also would i need to make wood block under the pups to mount them to?

• Members

Originally posted by JcKerr

I think it will work... i'm just not sure about mounting the pups... maybe i'll have to cut out a piece the same size a the swimming pool to mount them on... i don't know

Just mount them to the pickguard like a Strat pickup.

Didn't Fender have a Strat style model a few years ago that had 2 P90 style pickups?

Yeah. It was quite pricey if I remember. They also had a Tele.

Was it called a Sonic Strat or something like that?

• Members

nope... they are usually held on with 2 screws through the middle between the pole pieces

Yeah, I suppose you are correct. I was wondering why there were eight "pole pieces".

Just glue some of the pieces you route out underneath the screws. Then just screw the screws into those glued pieces.

Or if you use a pickguard, you could just get really long screws to hold the pickup up and then use the pickguard to hold it in place.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

However, if I were going to go with P-90's in a Strat, I'd want soapbars as they look cool.

You'd need to get a new pickguard, if you wanted to put soapbars in them. I really don't see anyway you could modify a SSS Strat pickguard for P-90's without totally mutilating it.

You can get custom pickguards made at these two places. WD Music (
www.pickguards.com
) charges out the ass though. I got a custom made one for a Tele copy and they charged $70. I won't buy from them again.

www.pickguards.com

www.warmoth.com

I could have saved you some money on that pickguard, Jesse...:o

• Members

Originally posted by cadfael

I think vintage clubber was doing that for someone. iwant to try it out as well and was going to ask him to do it.

www.monstertoneguitars.com

I made one with actual soapbars for JoeBoy. The pickguard was very pricey. For cost effectiveness I would suggest using an HH pickguard with HB Size P-90's in it. I did one of those for Old Fender Guy and the tone difference between that one and the one with real soapbars in it was nominal.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

I clicked on "pickups", and I couldnt find any strat sized P90 pickups there. The P90 Alnico V single coil looks P90 sized to me. Did I miss something? I had decided to go with a HH guard with Hb sized P90s on my own project, but if there were a Strat sized P90, I would go that route instead.

• Members

Originally posted by Clyde42

I clicked on "pickups", and I couldnt find any strat sized P90 pickups there. The P90 Alnico V single coil looks P90 sized to me. Did I miss something? I had decided to go with a HH guard with Hb sized P90s on my own project, but if there were a Strat sized P90, I would go that route instead.

Pete definitely has them, and in ceramic or alnico II or V. He usually has a set of the ceramic Strat sized P-90s on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7345171536

• Members

nope... they are usually held on with 2 screws through the middle between the pole pieces

If you go this route, longer screws and long springs or surgical tubing might work ok.

HB size 90s would definitely be easier to deal with, though. I agree with the others on that. Even then, finding an H-H-S PG would still be a pain, I guess.

• Members

I just ordered a set of Lundgren P-90s for my Warmoth strat. I LOVE the way this guitar plays and feels, I can hardly wait to hear what it will sound like with the P-90s. I'm going with a neck volume/bridge volume/master tone + 3-way switch setup, I like simplicity.

Here's what the guitar looked like a couple of weeks ago:

warmframliten.jpg

Archived