P-90 soapbars in a Strat

JcKerr

• Members

Originally posted by Clyde42

Cool, thanks!
:)

I have a set in a Protone Strat. That guitar is now quite the toneful player. My tech, who rarely says anything good about aftermarket pups, went out of his way to praise these after installing them. And, they aren't all that expensive! I highly recommend them.:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by Clyde42

I clicked on "pickups", and I couldnt find any strat sized P90 pickups there. The P90 Alnico V single coil looks P90 sized to me. Did I miss something? I had decided to go with a HH guard with Hb sized P90s on my own project, but if there were a Strat sized P90, I would go that route instead.

Try Steve Kirsting at SK Guitar Specialties. He makes a single coil size P-90 called the S-90.

This link will get you there:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/skgs/sk/

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Also, PaulSter made a beautiful 3-soapbar Strat recently:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=922839

Why thank you sir!

Yes- as others have already said, the pickups are hard mounted to the bottom of the guitar and are simply 'floating' in the pickguard.

Warmoth is a good source for the custom pickguard.

P-90Strat6resized.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Viktor Johanson

I just ordered a set of
Lundgren P-90s
for my Warmoth strat. I LOVE the way this guitar plays and feels, I can hardly wait to hear what it will sound like with the P-90s. I'm going with a neck volume/bridge volume/master tone + 3-way switch setup, I like simplicity.

Here's what the guitar looked like a couple of weeks ago:

warmframliten.jpg

Viktor, very nice indeed! I've read a lot about mr Lundgren and his stuff, knowing they're available from Musikb

• Members

Originally posted by Viktor Johanson

I cancelled the order today, because I'm planning on buying an '87 G&L Legacy which might make the P-90-equipped strat obsolete. However, while speaking to Mr. Lundgren, I got an idea. I knew he makes a P-90-style pickup for use in standard Telecaster neck and bridge positions. I asked if he could do the same thing except for a strat, and he said he's already doing that, but he doesn't include them in his marketing because they look a bit funny without the plastic covers (you can use standard covers, but the ends of the pole pieces are shorter than normal and won't quite be flush with the covers). I'm going without the covers for a "old Tele bridge pickup" look on all pickups, now I'm trying to figure out what P-guard to buy to go with them. Suggestions are welcome
:)

I think I'm going to put these Lundgren "Strat-90s" in the Ulf Carlsson guitar, and use humbuckers with the Warmoth strat. If I put a Gibson Burstbucker Pro in the bridge position, would the Little '59 be a good match in the neck spot? I'd get a H/S pickguard with a three-way switch, master volume and master tone for that one.

Despite the Strat-90s (that's my name for them from now on) not being included in Johans standard line of pickups, they are priced identically to his regular strat sets (IE 2300 SEK or about $300). You can compare Lundgrens Telecaster P-90s to his traditional pickups by listening to the clips on each pickup's page
here

I have two G&L's (ASATs), one loaded with the soapbar MFDs, and the other with the standard sc-sized pups. While they are very fine pickups, they are not exactly P-90s. If you are after P-90s, you should get P-90s.

Archived