New mics closest to Neuman U47, U48

• Members

A relatively new company, Peluso, makes really high quality mics based on the U47 and U48 at great price points compared to others. They've got TWO U47 off-shoots, actually. One is the shortbody style, and then there's the longbody style which is their limited edition. It's limited because it uses a real NOS German EF14 tube like the U47 had. All are hand built, with hand selected tubes and other components. Plan on spending about a grand on the regular one, and about 1600 on the Limited Edition. Think of both of these mics as almost exact copies of a vintage mic, but due to better technology, quieter and no maintenance. Unbelievable value.

They make a really sexy looking U48 copy also. And they have a new mic coming out soon, the P-252. Check all of their stuff out at their website, http://www.pelusomicrophonelab.com

I have a pair of the Peluso 22 251s. They sound absolutely brilliant no matter what goes in front of them. Those mics hear things better than the human ear ever could. I also got the STUPID cheap small diaphragm condensers in a matched pair with all of the capsules available.

It's limited because it uses a real NOS German EF14 tube like the U47 had.

Actually, the original U47 / U48's used VF14 tubes. :) And while the EF14 is similar in some respects, they're really not the same tube. :)

But that doesn't mean Peluso hasn't captured the U47 vibe... I can't say if they have or not, because I still have not had the chance to hear them. But there's a bit of a buzz about them, and I would very much like to check them out. Their 251 type mics too - I'm an even bigger fan of the 251 type mics than the 47 type mics, but YMMV on that.

I do dig a good U47, but the rarity of the VF14's have kept me from buying an original. And of the clones and 47 styled mics I've heard, I think I'd say the Soundelux E47 (which also doesn't use a VF14) has probably impressed me the most so far... but again, I have not heard every 47 type mic from everyone who is building them these days. Judging from what I see at AES and NAMM shows and in the latest issue of EQ, there's a LOT of 'em out there these days.

Originally posted by seaneldon

i thought the EF/VF was just like having two different flavors of U47

To the best of my knowledge, Neumann has never issued a U47 / U48 with a stock EF14 tube, and IIRC, using a EF14 in a U47 instead of the stock VF14 requires modification to the microphone from the "stock" condition. Neumann's "official" replacement option for the VF14 was the dreadful (IMO) NuVistor, and not the EF14.

Telefunken USA offers the NuVistor, VF14 or EF14 as options in their new Neumann U47 clones, and I know you can wire an original U47 to use any of the three tubes, but they're definitely not the same things. :)

I think the pin outs on an EF14 and VF14 are different, and while I was looking for info on that, I found this:

Heater voltage:

VF14 = 55V

UF14 = 25V

EF14 = 6.3V

Heater current

VF14 = 50mA

UF14 = 100mA

EF14 = 470mA

Typical operating conditions for VF14, UF14, EF14:

Anode voltage = 250V

Screen voltage = 200V

Control grid voltage = -5V

Anode current = 12mA

Screen current = 1.9mA

Mutual conductance = 7mA/V

Anode dissipation = 5W

Source.

I'm still looking for the pin out info, but I did find that interesting... the VF and EF's use different heater voltages and have different current requirements. DEFINITELY not interchangeable! :)

Archived