Just changed to .009

HypnoToad

• Members

I use Ernie Ball custom gauge 9, 11, 14, 22, 32, 38 on all my guitars, regular tuning. Have the same opinion as Billy Gibbons: it brings more finesse into my playing - it takes years to develop the soft touch. Other guitarists sometime try to play my guitars, and they are always out of tune - they attack too hard.

• Members

Originally posted by theAntihero

Personally i dont use anything less than .10s, as it seems everytime i play a guitar with .09s i break the high e within a minute.....

Then your guitar is setup improperly, or you aren't playing it right.

.09s here too. I've tried 8s, 10s, and the 10s just don't do it for me, and 8s I knock out of tune too much or I'd use them.

With a good guitar, you can get tone no matter what your string gauge.

• Members

Originally posted by wilmer

I use Ernie Ball custom gauge 9, 11, 14, 22, 32, 38 on all my guitars, regular tuning. Have the same opinion as Billy Gibbons: it brings more finesse into my playing - it takes years to develop the soft touch. Other guitarists sometime try to play my guitars, and they are always out of tune - they attack too hard.

Yes, I have a light smooth touch too. You don't have to attack your guitar.

Actually most good players do have light touches.

• Members

I used 9-42 for a long time. A few months ago, I switched to 10-52. To me, it just sounded better. Now, I can bend them as easily as I could 9's. I do notice that lower string tension (lower tuning, lighter strings) can make pick harmonics easier to ring out.

In the end, it's all personal preference. 9's work for you? Rock on!

• Members
Originally posted by Ke^in

.09s here too. I've tried 8s, 10s, and the 10s just don't do it for me, and 8s I knock out of tune too much or I'd use them.

Yep,that makes no sense. I've always argued that point. Say you use 9-42 and are breaking your B and E strings. If you move up a couple of sizes,that 11 gauge that was being tuned to B is now getting tuned to E. It makes no sense that it will no longer break when being tuned 2 1/2 steps higher.

• Members
Originally posted by Ke^in

Actually none of the guitars i have played with 9s have been my own, its been a friends or at a guitar shop etc. I suppose its possible that the dozen or so guitars had burrs on the saddles, but usually its "the action is really light, what gauge do you use"? "Oh i have 9s on it" breaks string ...oops.

I do play hard and bend a lot, and bend quite far, so it more than likely is my playing style, but i break 10s much less regularly.

As for the good guitar comment, you definatley can get "tone" out any good guitar with any gauge of strings, but is it a "good" tone or a "bad" tone?:D

Archived