good lexicon rack for home recording

• Members

I was looking into the range of rack units for reverb and such. Now I know that lexicon is one of the best company when it comes to reverb units (mpx 1s are lovely).

Now I wonder if anyone has used the mpx 110 or the 550. How do these two fare? Is the mpx 110 easily tweakable or is it only presets?

How about the 550?

What are other brands that are good reverb rack units?

Thanks.

• Members

I have an MPX-1 and it's pretty tweak-able (sometimes too much so!) and it does quite convincing reverbs. To my ears, it's MUCH better-sounding than the other MPX series units I played around with. For 'verb, I'd put it up against anything I've heard in its price range. The other effects are just gravy to me and, to be honest, I haven't really explored them much yet. I've heard that the new MX200 has a similar reverb sound to the MPX-1 and it's cheaper. Haven't heard one myself but most of the reviews I've seen have been positive.

Also, you didn't mention your budget so I should at least bring up the Lexicon PCM series. If you can get into one of those, I bet you'll be pretty happy with the reverb. I see them go used for $500-$1000, depending on model and condition...

The TC M300 is a nice-sounding box too but, IMO, the Lex MPX-1 sounds better, for reverb at least. Gotta check into that M-One XL though...

The Kurzweil Rumour looks really interesting too. Generally speaking, they make some damn fine stuff. Can't wait for the reviews!

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Craig and possibly myself should be doing a review of the new Lexicon MX200 in the not too distant future... stay tuned.
:)

Other candidates in that same general price / product class range would include the TC Electronic M300 and M-One XL and the Kurzweil Rumour.

Very cool Phil. I'd love to get a camparison between the units (maybe a shootout is in order?). I still haven't had a chance to listen to a MX200.

• Members

I too have a TC Electronics M-One XL which is an excellent device, very well thought out and easy to use and tweak. The reverbs are beautifully convincing - on headphones, you really are *in the room*.

I've used a Lexicon MPX100 which was OK but not in the same class.

• Members

I have the TC M-One and just picked up the MX200 for a different color. I've already posted my thoughts elsewhere and don't want to pre-empt Phil here. Let me say the two don't overlap in sound and actually compliment each other well. The M1 being darker, deeper in sound and the Lex brighter.

Archived