What Stand?

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

After my recent LP purchase, i was considering what is best for my guitar.

Obviously getting it in and out of the case is boring and almost out of the question.

So far i got an A frame stand, is that a good idea to use or i am better off getting a normal stand that holds the guitar from the neck as well?

Would that skew the neck or something in comparison with the A frame stand?

cheers yannis

• Members

Stand damage occurs when the chemicals in the rubber used on guitar stands react with the nitrocellulose lacquer used to finish our instruments. It can range from a slight discoloration to the finish to actually "eating away" the lacquer topcoat. Unfortunately, this situation is not covered under your warranty. The safest way to prevent this from happening is to cover the rubber parts of your stand with a soft cotton cloth (use guitar polishing cloths). Guitar stands should only be used to 'temporarily' store your instrument, such as on a gig. The safest place to store your instrument is in its case.

http://www.gibson.com/Service/FAQ/#

I would get what ever stand appeals to you and just make sure to take the proper precautions to prevent finish issues...

• Members

My favorite stand is the Ultimate GS-100, which is the one that hangs the guitar by the headstock. I have a few of them, and they work very well. I actually have more stands than guitars, come to think of it. But I only use a stand in my house if I'm playing my guitar off and on over a few hours. It always goes back in the case when I'm done playing, and it never spends the night out of it's case.

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

my LP is a Tokai so i am dealing with poly finish.

So you reckon that i should get the guitar in and out of the case everytime i play (daily) and not keep it on a stand?

that's up to you...being on a stand in and of itself shouldn't damage the guitar but makes it more susceptible to damage than keeping it in the case.

• Members

The only problematic stuff i know of with stsnds is on nitro finished guitars.... mostly (but not only) now you're talking Gibsons.

As somebody said above, the guitar is always safer in the case, however, as long as the stand is stable and it's somewhere that the guitar won't get knocked over by folks (or kids) rushing past and whatever, then it's fine. It'll collect a little dust maybe, but so what....

I now have several more guitars than i have cases for, and i keep mine on a combination of wall hangers and stands. I prefer the wall hangers (strategically placed) as by and large they're less likely in my place to get knocked over than the stands - you just need to be careful you hang them right. (Carelessness can cause a fall!).

Purely irrational superstition, but i like the idea of my guitars being exposed to the air, let them breathe a bit.... the pickguard on my Strat has also started to age nicely with exposure to sunlight over the last number of years.

• Members

well the possibility to knock the guitar is 0.

No kids, no folks, i just live with my Gf who is into guitars as well so.

The point is...

should i get an A frame or one that holds the bottom of the body and the neck? Or the hercules one that basically hangs the guitar from the neck?

I am interested into keeping the neck straight basically and not scratching the body.

• Members

I am interested into keeping the neck straight basically and not scratching the body.

either stand will do that job and neither will cause an issue with the neck, unless there is a pre-existing condition...however, I actually suspect you would be happier keeping the guitar in the case.

• Members

I like the auto grab hercules cited above, but I also really like the Quik lok A-frame guitar stands: http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?SKU=QQL631BK

I find them to be VERY secure and they don't look as obtrusive in your home as do the tall stands. However, they don't work for odd-shaped guitars like an explorer. That when you need the hercules style or a hamilton. The Hamilton's look a little classier, but does the same job as the Hercules.

http://www.activemusician.com/store/product.asp?sku=MC.KB38B&sn=10&b=123&c=2D0CEFA0F69C494FA14E4D7C8222E9D9&s=1&nav=sd-it

I have a Gibson LP on a Quik Lok A-frame (long-term) and it has had no problem with interaction with the rubber. I know this can happen in some cases, but it hasn't happened to me.

I'm personally looking for a hardwood A-frame with felt cushions for my Martin. Anyone have a lead on one of those?

• Members

Careful with the Hercules grabber type mechanism...I caught a thread sometime back where the mechanism scratched a guys neck by the headstock...could have been operator error but there were several replies indicating similar experiences...supposedly Hercules fixed the prob...

I use a similar design from Ulimate that holds the neck/headstock in a "V"...you may also want to check out the stands from QuikLok...their parts don't seem to be reacting to my finishes at all but like someone else said, for best protection keep your baby cased when not is use and the stands only for short timeframes...

• Members

I only use neck stands. I have a 3-stand which hangs them by the neck and also string swings which mounts them to the wall and again hangs them by the neck.

I always heard that it is better for the guitar to hang it by the neck (pressure, etc), so it is set in my brain whether it is true or not.

• Members

Originally posted by dbx

.you may also want to check out the stands from QuikLok...their parts don't seem to be reacting to my finishes at all

As I mentioned, that has been my experience as well. I have been keeping my LP in one for several months with no problem. But neither the LP or the stand are new, so they may not be as reactive. But I wouldn't trust one with my Martin, i.e. too much risk. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Steve Matthews

As I mentioned, that has been my experience as well. I have been keeping my LP in one for several months with no problem. But neither the LP or the stand are new, so they may not be as reactive. But I wouldn't trust one with my Martin, i.e. too much risk.
:eek:

Sorry didn't mean to double up...I was referring to this Quiklok stand, not their A-frame style...

sku_GS_430.jpg

They also make 2,5,and 7 slot holders...

• Members

Originally posted by seaofstrings

How much do they run? I like that photo...

ymmv but I got the 3-slotter for around $65...but it's three, three, three guitar stands in one...since space is a premium for me it seemed to take up less floor than 3 tripod legged stands, it does roll has a locking caster and folds flat for transport...

:cool:

Forgot to add that the cradles are shapped to accomodate body thicknesses of solidbody electrics all the way to dreadnought acoustics ...this makes it very flexible, you can have an acoustic, electric and a bass in one three-cradle rack...

• Members

Damn, quiklok stands like the one you showed me dbx... is nearly impossible to find in the UK...

England Brandoni Music Ltd.

Unit 3.6 - Wembley Commercial Centre - East Lane

Wembley, Middx. HA9 7XJ, 44

England +44 20 8908 2323

Ring them up, I'm sure they can hook you up!

;)

Archived