Argh! Translation Issues.

• Members

So I've been writing some stuff for the past two days that I'm really happy with as far as guitar riffs are concerned. It's heavy and it has a great vibe, at least in my opinion. Problem is, when exported and played on other equipment it is way too f******g huge. The bass is like someone smacking you in the face with a jackhammer and there isn't even a bass track on it yet.

Now, I've been recording part time for quite a while now and I've never had this issue before, but something is seriously not okay with this piece haha.

I'll attach an MP3 of what I have so far, and you guys tell me what I'm doing wrong, cause I'm not sure at all. Hehe, you may not like my music at all, but it's really the overall balance and giant WOOOOOMMMPHH!! sound that has me concerned.

I've recorded entire EPs for friends before and never run into this on such a grand scale. :D

So, have I lost my mind and replaced it with another? As well as what can I do to make the pain stop? Hehe, thanks guys. This forum is a great addition to Harmony Central and the help is always appreciated. :)

MP3 Link

Edit: I should mention that I'm monitoring on an Event Tria system and it's not having a hard time keeping up with the track at all. It actually sounds EXCELLENT on the monitors.

• Moderators

There's quite a bit of low end on the guitar in your first mix.

If you're saying the mix sounds fine on the low end in your room, but doesn't translate well to other playback systems then there's a good chance it's your room, especially if your room is small and isn't properly treated with bass trapping.

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

There's quite a bit of low end on the guitar in your first mix.

If you're saying the mix sounds fine on the low end in your room, but doesn't translate well to other playback systems then there's a good chance it's your room, especially if your room is small and isn't properly treated with bass trapping.

Terry D.

You may very well be right about the room. It is relatively small, and I haven't done a lot of treatment for the low end, I've made some ceiling and wall panels out of Auralex to treat flutter and the high end a bit, but nothing for the low. Unless a leather chair in the corner counts. ;)

• Moderators

Originally posted by sysera

You may very well be right about the room. It is relatively small, and I haven't done a lot of treatment for the low end, I've made some ceiling and wall panels out of Auralex to treat flutter and the high end a bit, but nothing for the low. Unless a leather chair in the corner counts.
;)

Well, I don't have to tell you that if you can't hear right you can't mix well. And small rooms do have those incredible bass mode problems. I have a copy of JBL SMAART (now owned by Mackie!) I borrowed from work (I'm an acoustics researcher) and I was pretty horrified when I measured the bass response of my small mixing room.

But really you don't need any gear to detect the problem. In a small boxy room standing in the exact center will reveal a pronounced lack of low end, and moving toward the back wall will reveal a frightening build up of low end mud. Which sound is the one going on the record? Neither.

That makes it pretty hard to mix, I'd say. A lot of people in this situation spend much of their time running out to cars with CDR test mixes.

Now these forums have always been very clique oriented and getting moreso of late. Some opinions are more popular than others, and to voice an unpopular opinion is to invite backlash of an unpleasant sort.

Nevertheless, I'm about to voice one of those opinions. Many popular products sold to control bass modes are exactly like the fabled emperor's clothes - they rely on herd mentality to exist and are revealed immediately for what they are when they're subjected to objective measurement using the sort of gear available to, say, a person who conducts acoustics research at a large university.

However, some actually work quite well and meet or exceed the specs they claim.

One such product, which I have found to meet and even exceed the claimed performance is the Auralex MegaLENRDs. These are large foam wedges you place in the corners, where they don't take up much room. I'm not talking about the regular Auralex LENRDs, In my considered opinion those are not going to help you with the 100 Hz and lower bass modes you find in a small boxy room. The big ones will.

Check them out.

Terry D.

• Members

Originally posted by MrKnobs

Well, I don't have to tell you that if you can't hear right you can't mix well. And small rooms do have those incredible bass mode problems. I have a copy of JBL SMAART (now owned by Mackie!) I borrowed from work (I'm an acoustics researcher) and I was pretty horrified when I measured the bass response of my small mixing room.

But really you don't need any gear to detect the problem. In a small boxy room standing in the exact center will reveal a pronounced lack of low end, and moving toward the back wall will reveal a frightening build up of low end mud. Which sound is the one going on the record? Neither.

That makes it pretty hard to mix, I'd say. A lot of people in this situation spend much of their time running out to cars with CDR test mixes.

Now these forums have always been very clique oriented and getting moreso of late. Some opinions are more popular than others, and to voice an unpopular opinion is to invite backlash of an unpleasant sort.

Nevertheless, I'm about to voice one of those opinions. Many popular products sold to control bass modes are exactly like the fabled emperor's clothes - they rely on herd mentality to exist and are revealed immediately for what they are when they're subjected to objective measurement using the sort of gear available to, say, a person who conducts acoustics research at a large university.

However, some actually work quite well and meet or exceed the specs they claim.

One such product, which I have found to meet and even exceed the claimed performance is the Auralex MegaLENRDs. These are large foam wedges you place in the corners, where they don't take up much room. I'm not talking about the regular Auralex LENRDs,
In my considered opinion
those are not going to help you with the 100 Hz and lower bass modes you find in a small boxy room. The big ones will.

Check them out.

Terry D.

My decisions have little to do with herd mentality and the popular opinion of the input from forum users. I tend to aggregate my information quite a bit from several sources and usually give more weight to the ones with the most chance of being unbiased and accurate. ;)

I appreciate your advice on this subject a great deal. I have considered some of the solutions for bass management in my room for a while now, but really haven't had the problem show up at all until this specific tracking setup came about. I'm using a PODxt into an effects return of a Mesa, then off to a 4x12 cab with an SM57 and a 421.

It would seem the PODxt is quite the bass machine. It generates some serious low end, where my Mesa is usually a little bit more tame.

In the meantime I might be able to get by with some headphones for initial dial in, but the room is definately missing a large bit of low end at the listening/mixing position, even with my Event Tria monitors tweaked to add some more low end in the satellites.

Not on THIS forum! ;)

I expect only a few rules to be followed around here, but I am adament about the ones we have - numero uno is that everyone treat everyone with respect and courtesy! If you (or anyone else) voices an opinion that goes aganst the overall forum opinion, I have zero problems with people voicing disagreements with your opinion - that is useful and gives everyone a chance to voice their opinions and POV, and I'm all for diversity... but it is NEVER acceptable for people to "backlash unpleasantly" - not while MY name is on the top of a forum. :)

So please, feel free to express your POV and opinion - even if you feel it is a minority opinion. And if you ever experience "negative backlash" on this forum, please let me know about it.

As always, discuss the issues and topics, and disagree all you want to folks, but do it respectfully, and avoid personal attacks and name calling. :)

Archived