How to get that 60's Bass sound?

The Who

• Members

Im trying to get that '60's Bass' sound but just can't seem to get it.

What am I missing? it sounds just like it's just muted strings but I can't seem to get near it. Perhaps it's to do with the strings? Never tried 'Flat wound' strings and I wonder if I need those?

This sound seems to have been used in a lot of genres especially in the 60's & early 70's but mainly what is now regarded as 'Easy Listening' / 'Lounge'

Cheers.

Here's a few song examples of that sound I am after-

On Days Like These

Quincy Jones/ Matt Monro

Midnight Cowboy

John Barry

Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus & Ah! Melody

Serge Gainsbourg

Explosive Corrosive Joseph

David Holmes

• Members

You definitely need flats but they don't make them like that anymore (that I know of). Fender use to make the dullest flatwound bass strings but the shift has been to bright roundwounds. Tapewounds might be your best bet but that'll be the only tone you get. Rotosound RS77s flats have more tone but still might be too bright. What's your current setup?

• Members

Originally posted by misterhinkydink

You definitely need flats but they don't make them like that anymore (that I know of). Fender use to make the dullest flatwound bass strings but the shift has been to bright roundwounds. Tapewounds might be your best bet but that'll be the only tone you get. Rotosound RS77s flats have more tone but still might be too bright. What's your current setup?

A cheap Squier Precision. I think Im just gonna try & change the strings to some flatwounds and see what that does.

Cheers.

• Members

I get there with my Squier P Bass special (the one with the J bass pup in the bridge) and a Vox T-25 - basically the downsized version of the T-60, which Macca played with the Beatles. They were always all SS, and the newer amps are giving the same great sound as the originals. A friend who plays pro is the bandleader of a 60s instrumental combo (guitar, bass, drums and hammond / piano) nails it with a MIM J Bass and a Vox T-60.

Oh.... and we're both using roundwounds, BTW, not flatties.

Archived