Ssl Aws900

• Members

I don't think it's much of a secret that I am involved in the sale of audio gear (please don't let that convince you that I'm making a sales pitch with every bit of advice I give on gear, by the way. Most of the stuff I support and talk about here, we're not a dealer), so I decided to share this fun little tidbit from my day at work today.

Today I closed a client on the SSL AWS900 console (with every option, too) after about 3 months of working at it. The reason it took so long is that aside from a couple of posters in the studio room, my particular store doesn't have one on display, and never will. So what did we do to finish it up? We went to a store that did and gave it the test drive. I am, to say the least, pretty floored at what this thing has going on for it. I'm getting ready for bed right now, but will try and piece together some paragraphs after meeting this thing face to face. I'd do it now, but I have this sinking feeling that I'd be staying up for three hours saying how awesome and intelligent the AWS900 is.

For the folks that aren't familiar with the AWS900, it's SSL's newest console

• Members

ah, one more thing before i hit the sack...

just when i thought the day couldn't get any better, i come home to my lady holding a large box containing my second Peluso 22 251 and my brand new Peluso 22 47 Limited Edition. can't wait to plug them into two of my client's 24 SSL preamps.

• Members

the SSL aws is great. We have one at our school and I got the chance to use it.

Def the best of both worlds. Good to use with PT and it still has its famous quad compressor that is so sweet.

If I had to go for a hybrid machine, I'd go for that one. It looks, feels and works like an analogue (which it has all the features of) and has that extra digital control with good AD converters.

Great console.

• Members

I haven't played with the automation at all... but I have to say the the AW900 is probably the best sounding SSL I've ever used... then again I also didn't try to use the equalizers nor any of the dynamics... the overall sound of the desk was better than any other SSL desk on which I have worked [which is pretty much every series of SSL released since like 1982].

While I don't think the damn thing is worth anything close to the $90-100k the thing sells for... it's a pretty damn good sounding machine.

Me... I'd rather have a couple of Speck "LiLo" desks and reams of outboard gear for that kind of money... but that's probably just me.

• Members

Bro... I don't think the thing is worth more than $25-30... while it does have a nice neat small footprint, personally I'd rather have a Trident 80B console with Uptown moving fader automation and I know where I can buy one of those, in drop dead gorgeous mint condition for $25k... but as always... Your Milage May Vary.

Peace

• Members

Originally posted by

Bro... I don't think the thing is worth more than $25-30... while it does have a nice neat small footprint, personally I'd rather have a Trident 80B console with Uptown moving fader automation and I know where I can buy one of those, in drop dead gorgeous mint condition for $25k... but as always...
Y
our
M
ilage
M
ay
V
ary.

Peace

true that if you can get a hold of something like that for that price, then it's wicked.

It's more because they are here for about 30 grand in pounds so that comes up to nearly 60k$

• Members

I think you should check around a bit more carefully... I know someone who just scored a 40 input 80 Series just outside of Bath for about 10k quid... which at the current exchange rate is about $18,500 USD [can you tell I don't have the "pound sterling" symbol on my computer...]

• Members

Originally posted by

Bro... I don't think the thing is worth more than $25-30... while it does have a nice neat small footprint, personally I'd rather have a Trident 80B console with Uptown moving fader automation and I know where I can buy one of those, in drop dead gorgeous mint condition for $25k... but as always...
Y
our
M
ilage
M
ay
V
ary.

Peace

Fletcher-

what's your opinion on a Euphonix CS2000? Going Rates?

i am using one at my new gig at SPG Studios, seems like a good desk. We're missing the "Cube" however.

I think it would make a great music desk for a client of mine in Malibu...

-Todd A.

• Members

Originally posted by The Chinese

what's your opinion on a Euphonix CS2000? Going Rates?

I'm probably the wrong person to ask... I worked on a Euphonix once and totally hated the experience. I had all kinds of "zipper noise" going on with the thing, it was just a rotten experience... so my opinion of the CS2000? I wouldn't piss on the thing if it were on fire... going rates? I wouldn't give you a nickel for one... but like I said, I'm probably the wrong person to ask.

• Members

Originally posted by

I don't think the thing is worth more than $25-30...

i couldnt agree more. for 100k i could get a 56input G series. which you may or may not like, but i love em. or a trident as you mentioned.

just how repairable are those AWS's? on an SSL you can fix and replace things. is that even a possibilty on the AWS? if so, is it only for minor things? (like bulbs for example)

• Members

Originally posted by

I'm probably the wrong person to ask... I worked on a Euphonix once and totally hated the experience. I had all kinds of "zipper noise" going on with the thing, it was just a rotten experience... so my opinion of the CS2000? I wouldn't piss on the thing if it were on fire... going rates? I wouldn't give you a nickel for one... but like I said, I'm probably the wrong person to ask.

interesting. i'm not having a Zipper issue, although I notice that the faders dont move in less than .25dB increments. It's possible because it has a CS3000 upgrade w/ P+G moving faders. Not sure. I will say that it isn't the most "sensitive" desk, although it sounds pretty good. Thanks for the honest remarks.

-Todd

• Members

Originally posted by meriphew

Fletcher - How do you like the Trident 80B as a mixdown desk?

I thnk they're phenomenal. I've owned more than one in my days. The first thing you do if you buy one that still has a stock power supply is throw away the supply and install a good one [the 5 volt rail is no big deal... it's the bipolar 16 (which I used to run at 17.5) that makes the difference].

Archived