Yamaha i88x with Dell Laptop

• Members

I have been reading abou the i88x.

I am looking for an audio interface that will work well with my new Dell laptop for a small home studio:

Dell Inspiron 9300

2.13 Ghz Pent M

1 GB Ram

4 pin firewire port

Plus I will be using Sonar software.

Would there be any problems using the Yamaha i88x with this configuration?

Thanks

There shouldn't be any problems. Only one caveat - the i88X needs to be plugged into a wall power socket, so if total mobility is important to you, please be aware that it's not getting power via the firewire connection.

I really like the i88X - it's got good sounding converters and great mic preamps on it, and comes with some very nice bundled plug ins. A cool product.

• Members

Phil,

Thanks for your response...

If I may ask one more question...

I have heard that the i88x uses quite a bit of processor power.

I plan on using some soft synths, VST effects etc. Do you see any problem with the power of my laptop causing any issues running these plug-ins?

Thanks once again for your time!

I've never noticed any significant CPU "hit" when running the Yamaha 01X and / or i88X, but I only tested it on a couple of systems - a Athlon and a Athlon 64 - both of which are reasonably fast machines... but I seriously doubt it's going to be an issue for you... however, the bundled plug ins may, like all plug ins, gobble up CPU juice if you run too many of them simultaneously... but they didn't seem overly high on the processor useage either, especially compared to similar quality plug-ins of the same basic types from other companies.

Have you seen my EQ magazine review of the 01X / i88X? If not, you can check it out right here.

• Members

I have a i88x on the way that I will use with my Acer laptop. Hopefully it will work ok.

jrrshop.com have it on order from Yamaha, so it will be a while untill I have it. Waiting for gear drives me mad:mad: ;)

For the price of it these days, it seems to me like too good of a deal to pass up. Maybe I'm missing something...

Phil: Do you prefer the supplied Channel Module plugin over the stock comps and eqs you find in Cubase ect?

The channel strip plug-in is supposed to be the equal of the processing you'd find onboard a 01X, or maybe a 01V96... IOW, pretty good stuff, but not really highly colored like some comp / EQ plug ins. So ultimately, it will come down to your personal preferences, but in general, I'd say yes, I prefer them over the stock Cubase bundled plug ins.

• Members

PopRocker,

I've got a Sony Laptop that is about the same power as your Dell w/ less RAM. It works fine for me. With some laptops you have to end up getting a PCMCIA Firewire card because the internal 1394 interface is tied to a video card or USB2 interrupt. That shouldn't be the case with the Dell.

Anyway, I'll do my best to check here if you guys need any help.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Martin

PopRocker,

I've got a Sony Laptop that is about the same power as your Dell w/ less RAM. It works fine for me. With some laptops you have to end up getting a PCMCIA Firewire card because the internal 1394 interface is tied to a video card or USB2 interrupt. That shouldn't be the case with the Dell.

Anyway, I'll do my best to check here if you guys need any help.

Thanks Mike for that information. What DAW software do you use with the i88x?

Looks like I will be picking an i88x up this Saturday!

I called a store here in my home state and they have one in stock and they said they will hold for me until I can get there on Saturday morning.

Thanks for the info guys!

Archived