Anyone using a Godin guitar

Mikeo

• Members

asked this over on OJ and was told to ask you guys over here and at the Guitar Jam forum

I looked at the Godin LG P90

At first i thought is was kinda ugly, but I played it a bit, I may go back and give it a better test run

Here's there site

http://www.godinguitars.com/indexlanguage.html

and the one I looked at

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinlgp.htm

any opinions would be appreciated

• Members

I had an LG P90 (which they used to call an LG sp90) for about a year. I liked it--it was very resonant, and the neck played easily--but ultimately decided that it was going to need new pickups (and potentially pots/caps) to give me what I wanted from it. By that point, I had a couple of other P90 guitars and decided to sell the Godin.

I do think it was extremely well built. But the bridge pickup's sound seemed a bit muffled.

• Members

I had a 24 fret LG SP90 version. Played like a dream, excellent cleans... I thought I wasn't going to be happy with the P90's but I actually enjoyed them in combination with my 5150. The neck was very comfortable but the only thing about the guitar that took a little bit getting used to was how everything was almost flush with the body.

• Members

Originally posted by mattburnside

I agree with the other comments about the pickups being a bit too tame, but swapping the vol and tone pots for 500k pots helped out considerably.

Yep, swapping the pots for 500kohm make it a rock and roll machine. Great guitars, the LG P90.

• Members

Notice that Godin is Lasido, the same Canadian company that makes Seagull acoustics (which are quite popular). The parts are made in canada, but are assembled in the USA I believe.

I have a 24-fret P90 LG that I like quite a bit. The P90s are 'special specials'. I believe this is the only guitar that these particular Seymore Duncan pickups are in. They are very high output and sound great IMHO. But they aren't generic P90s and I don't think you should get this guitar entirely for the P90 sound. Get it because you like its sound as it is. I've heard a lot of people say that the newer 22-fret version gets closer to that P90 sound people like because of pickup placement, so that could explain the sound of the 24-fret vesion.

But the guitar is definitely very high quality. Finish is superb, neck pocket ultra tight, high quality bridge and tuners, fret work is excellent. Plays great.

• Members

As written on the headstock :

"Assembled in the USA from parts hand-crafted in Canada"

The parts are made in LaPatrie, a little town up here in Quebec and are assembled in Berlin, N-H.

I've got an exit-22. Could not be more pleased about it, really high quality stuff.

• Members

I have an Exit 22, and it's a terrific guitar. One caution, and it applies to a lot of the Godin line, is that they tend to be heavy--the Exit 22 weighs much more than you expect it to on the basis of its looks. That's helps to create the tone (which is great), but can also be an issue for some players.

• Members

Godins parts are manufactured in or near Montreal I believe. They are assembled in New Hampshire. I use a Solidac as my main gigging guitar although my Freeway Classic is slowly taking over. I installed after market pickups in the Classic along with a push/pull pot but kept the Solidac totally stock. I had the LG P90 for a while, but sold it simply because I wanted a double cut guitar with five way switching so i made the switch. Godins are outstanding guitars and right up there in quality with American made Fenders, Gibson, and G&L. Don't let the cheap prices fool you. Maybe if they charge more they would get more respect! :)

Archived