advice needed on gfs single coils and/or onboard boosters

LAracer

• Members

I really like the GFS vintage staggered pickups in my Squier. However, I just bought an SX SSt57 (pics and review to come this weekend), which has much hotter (but muddier) pickups. These hotter pickups are nice for Gilmour type stuff but aren't jangly enough for Knopfler type stuff. I'd really like to get a good compromise of both sounds in a single guitar...

So I wondered if any of the other GFS pickups would be a good compromise? Like maybe the "Texas" or the overwound? Would I be going in the right direction with these?

Alternatively, I was thinking about some type of active pre-amp for getting hotter tones out of my current vintage staggered pickups. I found a few threads about these, and opinions are not very favorable; has anyone had a good experience with these active circuits?

Thanks for any advice.

• Members

"{censored}, I knew I shoulda put "agile" in the thread title somewhere"

LOL. I feel ya dude! I have no experience with those pickup, though. Doesn't GFS make some sorta overwound strat style PUP? Have you chatted with someone at guitarfetish about it? I heard they are pretty helpfull....

• Members

Yeah, their pickups are pretty good for the price; I'll probably talk to Jay (at GFS) about it too, but I'd like to get some opinions from you guys too. There's nothing like the opinions of many random nameless people to give you the confidence to spend money :).

• Members

"Did I mention that my Squier was made in Korea, while the SX was made in China?"

Hey, they all look the same to me bro!!! I don't have any stuff made in either of those places, but I have been thinking about the Squire '51. I mean, for the price it's just unbelievable what you can get nowadays. Sheesh, you can have ducats left over for new pickups and such.....:cool: :cool:

• Members

Yeah, I call it the stratatelemaster, for lack of a better term. I picked up a USACG neck(24.75 scale) cheap on ebay. Got the alder body from a buddy for 40 bucks, and he threw in the tele hum bridge(korean). I scored the pups for around 50 bucks and slapped that bitch together. Less than 275 for all parts. Nice and light, great balance, too. I am diggin it so far. Need to finish it up, any finish suggestions? EVERYONE else seems to think a clear finish of some sort. Originally I was going to do green sparkle.

• Members

Ok, so I emailed Jay about this and he recommended the "Jimi" set (slightly overwound, non reverse-wound mid, reverse staggered). I don't have much of a need for the reverse stagger since I'm not trying to be Jimi, and I'm a little afraid of the non-reverse-wound mid since I like the humbucking effect on 2 and 4 (been playing in front of my CRT lately).

So has anyone tried the "Jimi" set? What can you tell me about it?

How about the "Texas" set?

I'd like to know where I'm making the compramise between hot & jangly on these pickups.

• Members

I've not tried the GFS singles yet,a lthough I'm a fan of their 'buckers.

However I've heard the difference a 'clapton' type boost makes. If you want a thick, fat almost 'bucker like singing tone then that's probably the best thing to use for it. Strat singles *generally* tend to give dry, scratchy drive tones (there are some exceptions) compared to 'buckers.

My 3 ha'porth.

• Members

Thanks! "3 ha'porth"? How old are you :eek::) ?

I think I'm almost settled on either the Texas or the Jimi's. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

And to summarize my objective, I'm trying to cover both Knopfler (clean) and Gilmour (overdriven) tones in one guitar (yeah, I know, "practice" will be better than pickups, but I might as well sound ok while I practice :))

So, pretty please, some more advice...

Archived