Any Indie Labels Who Sign International Bands?

• Members

sure, I'll sign you.;)

just front all the recording and promotion costs, as well as all touring logistics and associated costs, and I'll keep all the profits. You'll get a weekly stipend and meal vouchers for McDonald's dollar meal menu. We'll release your album for free but make sure we cash in on selling branded mugs, mouse pads, iPad cases, deodorant and t-shirts. Sound fair?

just kidding, good luck. it isn't that easy...or maybe it is, depends on who you talk to.

• Members

I can't name off any specific labels for your musical style/genre because it's different from my own, but if you have a press kit and some sort of pro-sounding recordings (what is on your website should suffice), then I would start by scouring the Internet for labels that accept unsolicited demo submissions. Most indies I've talked to are offering distribution deals right now, as the chances of a good return on investment are so slim. Strong sales then (hopefully) lead to either a larger second pressing at the label's expense and/or financial backing for the next release.

Labels don't make sense for everyone, but if you're limited in terms of touring exposure because of your location, distribution and promotion are key - don't overlook the large portion of the music-buying population that can't just get your music on iTunes. My band signed with a metal indie specifically to target markets where CD sales are still the norm, where we simply aren't in a position to tour to gain exposure and sell merchandise.

I don't know which labels would be right for you, but I'd suggest checking out sites like Amazon for bands in your genre, finding out what labels they're signed to, and contacting them.

• Members

Labels don't make sense for everyone, but if you're limited in terms of touring exposure because of your location, distribution and promotion are key - don't overlook the large portion of the music-buying population that can't just get your music on iTunes. My band signed with a metal indie specifically to target markets where CD sales are still the norm, where we simply aren't in a position to tour to gain exposure and sell merchandise.

That's a really good point. I'd also venture to guess that probably everyone on here who sells their music on iTunes makes more sales at gigs. That's been my experience and the experience of all the other local musicians I know. iTunes is more like the icing on the cake. Or in my case, the icing on the cupcake. It's not a very big cake...

• Moderators

Do you know any indie labels who would sign bands like us? our links are on my siggy.. thanks..

Pare, hwag mong aksayahin ang oras mo!

Labels are not really approachable anymore.

They want easy money, meaning you need to bring them the package, wrapped in ribbon, that is already making money.

Are you gigging regularly? Do you have CDs and merch? I see no gig calendar on the website...:confused:

Seriously, you guys are in a potentially great music market...have you tried breaking out on any of the local TV shows?

I have seen some strange stuff on TFC here, you guys seem adequately commercial for the local scene.

• Members

sorry, that wasnt supposed to be how I should present that question. Anyway, what we are trying to aim for is for our music to be exposed on a larger scale. I cant think of any other methods. As of the moment, we're limited to Mindanao (its like our state or something.) I dont know if its wrong or right since we dont get too much advices from people who have been there. That's the reason why I posted here.

o....k.

yeah..

If only it were that easy.

I guess it really is not that easy.

sure, I'll sign you.

just front all the recording and promotion costs, as well as all touring logistics and associated costs, and I'll keep all the profits. You'll get a weekly stipend and meal vouchers for McDonald's dollar meal menu. We'll release your album for free but make sure we cash in on selling branded mugs, mouse pads, iPad cases, deodorant and t-shirts. Sound fair?

just kidding, good luck. it isn't that easy...or maybe it is, depends on who you talk to.

- i get the point

can't name off any specific labels for your musical style/genre because it's different from my own, but if you have a press kit and some sort of pro-sounding recordings (what is on your website should suffice), then I would start by scouring the Internet for labels that accept unsolicited demo submissions. Most indies I've talked to are offering distribution deals right now, as the chances of a good return on investment are so slim. Strong sales then (hopefully) lead to either a larger second pressing at the label's expense and/or financial backing for the next release.

I don't know which labels would be right for you, but I'd suggest checking out sites like Amazon for bands in your genre, finding out what labels they're signed to, and contacting them.

Thanks, man. Exposure is indeed limited. Any suggestions on how we should distribute and promote other than exploiting social websites and other stuff?

Pare, hwag mong aksayahin ang oras mo!

Labels are not really approachable anymore.

They want easy money, meaning you need to bring them the package, wrapped in ribbon, that is already making money.

Are you gigging regularly? Do you have CDs and merch? I see no gig calendar on the website...

Seriously, you guys are in a potentially great music market...have you tried breaking out on any of the local TV shows?

I have seen some strange stuff on TFC here, you guys seem adequately commercial for the local scene.

- Salamat, bro. Labels here are definitely not approachable. Somebody told us that we should find other indie labels abroad that would distribute our music or something like that. About gigs, well, its pretty hard to come by in our place. There are gigs, but its not regular, di parehas sa manila na kada araw meron. We're trying to look for opportunities na malapit sa amin.

Thanks to all the replies. I learned.

• Moderators

Mindanao?

I thought you were on Luzon?

Odd, I know there are clubs all over Manila/Makati...I guess that, like here, they are now being dominated by DJs?

You could try Rhythm Drive Records, here in California, up in the Bay Area (Alameda?); I know the founder is a pinoy...so there may be a positive connection there for you.

• Members

Thanks, man. Exposure is indeed limited. Any suggestions on how we should distribute and promote other than exploiting social websites and other stuff?

Most of my own attempts have lost money up-front, but did gain eventual exposure and (some) merch sales, so use this advice however you choose.

First of all, my band sold CDs on consignment at a locally-owned chain of stores with locations throughout our area. We didn't sell all that many CDs in their stores, but it got our album on shelves next to well-known bands in our genre. The same stores let us put up fliers advertising our gigs, local or not; having our CDs for sale at the same place our shows were advertised was a bonus. Once our label eventually had proper retail distribution in our area, the "real" (not consigned) CDs started showing up in other stores, even being the "Metal Album of the Month" in a full-page newspaper advertisement without the store knowing we were a local band.

Being on a limited budget, we figured out how much we could afford to spend on t-shirts, made enough to "break even" without having to sell ALL of them, and were pleasantly surprised how quickly we made our money back. (True story, our rhythm guitarist was recognized in an airport half-way across the country because of our band's t-shirt.) What we couldn't pay someone else to do, we did ourselves, dedicating lots of time and effort to have shirt designs and cover artwork that would draw attention and look as professional as major-label bands in our genre. It's a good thing for us that we sold a decent amount of merch despite not playing many live shows, because our ex-label really mismanaged the distribution side of things and eventually went out of business.

Our new album isn't even out on CD yet, only on download sites like iTunes and Amazon, but in some ways that makes promotion easier. Harmony Central isn't really the best forum to promote your band since most people are here to "talk shop" more than anything, but there are certainly forums that are more open to announcements from new bands. You might try forums dedicated to specific brands of musical gear that the band uses, or (if they exist) forums specific to bands that you may have opened for or played with at festivals. Try to get some sense of where your intended audience spends time online, and find ways to get your name and music in front of people. As much as people hate banner ads on websites, the right placement can attract just enough attention to make an impression. And if you have an album, EP or even just a single that you think really represents your band, search for Internet radio stations that will play unsigned bands, or websites that will review music submissions. Just be sure that what you are sending out is the best you have to offer.

• Members

Mindanao?

I thought you were on Luzon?

Odd, I know there are clubs all over Manila/Makati...I guess that, like here, they are now being dominated by DJs?

You could try Rhythm Drive Records, here in California, up in the Bay Area (Alameda?); I know the founder is a pinoy...so there may be a positive connection there for you.

Yeah, we're from frickin Mindanao, and that makes a lot of difference (negative).. Anyway, i'll go try and find that. Thanks for the heads up. If we were in Luzon, it would be a bit easier to get connections, evetually, moving there is the plan. But as of now, we're trying to do every possible thing that we could do without having to move out. It takes a lot of money to do so.

Thanks again, bro.

• Members

Most of my own attempts have lost money up-front, but did gain eventual exposure and (some) merch sales, so use this advice however you choose.

First of all, my band sold CDs on consignment at a locally-owned chain of stores with locations throughout our area. We didn't sell all that many CDs in their stores, but it got our album on shelves next to well-known bands in our genre. The same stores let us put up fliers advertising our gigs, local or not; having our CDs for sale at the same place our shows were advertised was a bonus. Once our label eventually had proper retail distribution in our area, the "real" (not consigned) CDs started showing up in other stores, even being the "Metal Album of the Month" in a full-page newspaper advertisement without the store knowing we were a local band.

Being on a limited budget, we figured out how much we could afford to spend on t-shirts, made enough to "break even" without having to sell ALL of them, and were pleasantly surprised how quickly we made our money back. (True story, our rhythm guitarist was recognized in an airport half-way across the country because of our band's t-shirt.) What we couldn't pay someone else to do, we did ourselves, dedicating lots of time and effort to have shirt designs and cover artwork that would draw attention and look as professional as major-label bands in our genre. It's a good thing for us that we sold a decent amount of merch despite not playing many live shows, because our ex-label really mismanaged the distribution side of things and eventually went out of business.

Our new album isn't even out on CD yet, only on download sites like iTunes and Amazon, but in some ways that makes promotion easier. Harmony Central isn't really the best forum to promote your band since most people are here to "talk shop" more than anything, but there are certainly forums that are more open to announcements from new bands. You might try forums dedicated to specific brands of musical gear that the band uses, or (if they exist) forums specific to bands that you may have opened for or played with at festivals. Try to get some sense of where your intended audience spends time online, and find ways to get your name and music in front of people. As much as people hate banner ads on websites, the right placement can attract just enough attention to make an impression. And if you have an album, EP or even just a single that you think really represents your band, search for Internet radio stations that will play unsigned bands, or websites that will review music submissions. Just be sure that what you are sending out is the best you have to offer.

Thank you. this made me understand a lot of things. I'ma go share it with my mates.. More power to you!

• Moderators

Yeah, we're from frickin Mindanao, and that makes a lot of difference (negative).. Anyway, i'll go try and find that. Thanks for the heads up. If we were in Luzon, it would be a bit easier to get connections, evetually, moving there is the plan. But as of now, we're trying to do every possible thing that we could do without having to move out. It takes a lot of money to do so.

Thanks again, bro.

ako intindihan, kaibigan....your 'location' misled me, though.

May I suggest that you exhaust every possibility on Mindanao before you try somewhere else? It is much better to be a successful fish in a small pond than an unknown fish in a huge pond. At least in Mindanao, you know people, have friends who will come to the gigs. Build your fan base there...they do call it the 'Land of Promise', right? I do realize that there is a dangerous political situation ongoing there as well, and hopefully that won't get any worse, but the advice I typically give young bands here is to stay put, build where you are, because shooting for the moon when you don't have a pilot's license won't get you anywhere but frustrated. You need to come up with creative ways to find gigs, get press, etc, but if you are not creative enough to figure those out, playing with the big kids isn't going to result in a happy outcome. If you bring to the table that you are the most popular band in Davao (which is a popular tourist city after all, and has a large population), that would make your game that much stronger.

Moving to Manila is like bands here moving to LA, NYC, Chicago, Austin, NO or Nashville...not a good idea until you are really in need of that large a marketplace. The bigger cites are more competitive, with not only the carpetbagger bands, but their own locally-bred bands that are already well established, making the competition extremely difficult, even if you are great. Those cities are also usually expensive to live in, harder to find day jobs in, etc.

• Members

ako intindihan, kaibigan....your 'location' misled me, though.

May I suggest that you exhaust every possibility on Mindanao before you try somewhere else? It is much better to be a successful fish in a small pond than an unknown fish in a huge pond. At least in Mindanao, you know people, have friends who will come to the gigs. Build your fan base there...they do call it the 'Land of Promise', right? I do realize that there is a dangerous political situation ongoing there as well, and hopefully that won't get any worse, but the advice I typically give young bands here is to stay put, build where you are, because shooting for the moon when you don't have a pilot's license won't get you anywhere but frustrated. You need to come up with creative ways to find gigs, get press, etc, but if you are not creative enough to figure those out, playing with the big kids isn't going to result in a happy outcome. If you bring to the table that you are the most popular band in Davao (which is a popular tourist city after all, and has a large population), that would make your game that much stronger.

Moving to Manila is like bands here moving to LA, NYC, Chicago, Austin, NO or Nashville...not a good idea until you are really in need of that large a marketplace. The bigger cites are more competitive, with not only the carpetbagger bands, but their own locally-bred bands that are already well established, making the competition extremely difficult, even if you are great. Those cities are also usually expensive to live in, harder to find day jobs in, etc.

Salamat, Kaibigan. This is a very sound advice. I want to point this out to my mates.. I'll need to talk to them soon. Thanks again!

• Members

That's a really good point. I'd also venture to guess that probably everyone on here who sells their music on iTunes makes more sales at gigs. That's been my experience and the experience of all the other local musicians I know. iTunes is more like the icing on the cake. Or in my case, the icing on the cupcake. It's not a very big cake...

I make FAR more from iTunes and other internet sales compared to gigging, especially once the expenses (time, money, and effort) of gigging are taken into account. I live in NYC, and some of my friends' bands make $50 per show----all from forcing their friends, family, and coworkers to come to the shows and pay cover. May as well have just sent emails to their friends and asked for donations instead!

But I'm just saying---there are lots of various routes to making a few bucks :thu:

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hi Guys, we have finally released our album here in our place, and we followed what u guys suggested, especially what daddymack said.. =]

Check out music video for the song, "Run", a cut from our latest album, "Forward to hastings". Enjoy!

The album is still available in Digital Format (320 Kbps, MP3).. Email us @ suchissuch.music@gmail.com if you want to order a copy. it's cheap, $4, 10 tracks, all original.. =]

Archived