Fostex Model 80 vs. Firebox

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok. . crosspost from the recording forum.. .nobody wants to bite over there ;)

Hey folks, saw a Fostex model 80 on ebay. . .was wondering if this would be a good alternative to getting the Firebox. I can always dump to PC after tracking, after all.

I guess my main question would be, is the fostex 80 gonna give me a good enough quality recording to justify the "analogity" of it :D It's 1/2" 8-track, and as of right now, my only preamps are on a behringer euro mixer. I know, I know. But I'm just gettin' my feet wet here. I've got my sights set on a FMR RNP when I can muster the cash.

Hmmmm... I've owned a couple of Fostex decks over the years, and they sound surprisingly good, considering the narrow tape width. But to me, you're really not getting much in the way of the "analog tape benefits" that most people think of when it comes to "analog multitrack recording".

BTW, the Fostex Model 80 is a 8 track on 1/4" tape format machine, not a 1/2" eight track. :)

My bigger concern at this point is parts availability. If that Fostex needs a new puck (rubber pinch roller) or new belts, can you still get them? And if so, for how much longer?

If you really want the sound of a decent analog deck, IMO, it starts with things like the Otari MX5050 and Teac / Tascam 80-8 and 38 (1/2" eight track decks) and goes upwards from there, with quality of the "analog sound" generally increasing with tape width.

IOW, given a choice, I don't think I'd consider purchasing or recommend a 1/4" Fostex eight track at this point in time.

Guest Anonymous

gotcha :) Thank you much.

I am just starting, but one of my first multitracking experiences I was fortunate enough to get into the TV studio at the University of Idaho. Had a TAC Scorpion console, hooked up to some sort of reel-to-reel. I need to find that tape. Ahh, just a good memory, ya know? My MR-8 doesn't do the same thing for me ;)

thanks again,

tim

• Members

Originally posted by fallbackdown

gotcha
:)
Thank you much.

I am just starting, but one of my first multitracking experiences I was fortunate enough to get into the TV studio at the University of Idaho. Had a TAC Scorpion console, hooked up to some sort of reel-to-reel. I need to find that tape. Ahh, just a good memory, ya know? My MR-8 doesn't do the same thing for me
;)

thanks again,

tim

Hey, I grew up in Moscow! That's sort of random, but worth noting.

• Members

I had the Fostex Model 80. It doesn't sound nearly as a good as DIGI 001, never mind everything else. I hadn't used it for several years. The stores wouldn't take it for any money. It was selling on ebay for $300 and no one was buying. I finally gave it away.

Archived