My new aquisitions make me look like a PRS-wannabe :D

Jeroen

• Members

I just bought two new guitars. First the PRS SE EG, modded with three P90's. I'm planning on replacing the pickupcovers with black ones, as well as the 5way-switch-knob.

DSC01504.jpgDSC01505.jpg

The other one is a PRS copy from London City, the Hurricane 4. Fantastic guitar, plays awesome, nice hardware (Grover tuners, Wilkinson tremelo). Designed in the Netherlands, made in China. Perhaps I'll swap the gold hardware for chrome ones, and change the pickups to some kind of chrome covered humbuckers (what do you think about this...).

DSC01500.jpgDSC01501.jpg

But two times not the "real deal" :) A lot cheaper though :D

• Members

Originally posted by straightblues

How does that sound with the 3 p90's? It looks really cool.

They sound pretty cool :D I used to have exactly this one with the original pu's, but these are far better. Also clean it sounds very good, which I could not say about the old pu's. It has Ernie Ball strings on them right now, which I've never liked, so with DR's I think it even sounds better..

That London City guitar looks pretty sweet. I'd not change anything cosmetically if it were mine. If I didn't like th pickups, I'd probably get another pair of zebras.

I'm still in doubt... Normally I don't like gold hardware (nor zebras), but many say they would prefer gold on the London City instead of chrome... I perhaps would like it to be more in a Les Paul Cherryburst style, if you know what I mean.

• Members

Originally posted by Per Floyd

Where did you get that white PRS?

From a Dutch auction site. Actually I bought it from a guy I previously sold it to :D But as I said it normally doesn't come with p90's, they used to be single coils:

DSC00684.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by timmy210

Where'd you get that london guitar?

:D;)

Okay... it's time for the whole story then. I used to have the PRS, but I sold it to get another guitar. The buyer was a rather whealthy man, very friendly, with really many guitars (about 40 is a lot for me). Though I bought it for 325 euros, I was able to sell it for 550. Afterwards I always wanted to get that guitar back, I liked it very much.

2 Weeks ago, I saw the same guy offering this PRS on the net for 500 euro's, together with the London City! So I didn't hesitate to mail the guy. Though it is kind of awkward to sell a guitar for 550, and buy it back with better pu's and another guitar for 500, he didn't mind at all.

Normally you can buy the LC in the Netherlands for 850 euro's.

• Members

Originally posted by timmy210

Wow, thats a good deal. That london looks pretty killer, how's she sound?

Well, better than I had thought actually! It really is a quality guitar, handmade inlays and stuff like that.

I also have a pre-factory PRS Custom24 to compare it to. Ofcourse the PRS is better, it's 6 or 7 times worth as much as the LC, but it sure is the best copy I've ever played. Really worth the money.

The sound of the LC is fatter than my PRS. A bit more Les Paul fatness in it. The neck of the LC also is a bit fatter, just a tiny bit.

• Members

Hey Joroen, nice guitars.

Quick question for you. Did you have to route the body to make the p90s fit or does the SE EG have a swimming pool route. I'm looking for a p90 guitar and since I'm not finding anything I like I'm looking to mod a guitar. I don't want to route the body unless I really have to. I do like the feel of some of the PRS SE guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by Pengrin

Hey Joroen, nice guitars.

Quick question for you. Did you have to route the body to make the p90s fit or does the SE EG have a swimming pool route. I'm looking for a p90 guitar and since I'm not finding anything I like I'm looking to mod a guitar. I don't want to route the body unless I really have to. I do like the feel of some of the PRS SE guitars.

You do realise that you have a few more options than this!

PRS have soapbar (p-90) models in their SE range. In fact they just released a new flametop version. The body is identical to the SE with the single coils, only routed for p-90's and with no pickguard. Check 'em out at www.prsguitars.com

Another option is to use humbucker sized p-90 in any dual humbucker guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by funkywrench

You do realise that you have a few more options than this!

PRS have soapbar (p-90) models in their SE range. In fact they just released a new flametop version. The body is identical to the SE with the single coils, only routed for p-90's and with no pickguard. Check 'em out at
www.prsguitars.com

Another option is to use humbucker sized p-90 in any dual humbucker guitar.

That perhaps is a better idea, at least it's more convenient. As I said earlier, the guy I bought it from had modded it. I don't think he had to route the body, but I'm not sure.. If you really need to know I can ask the guy though. One thing that's for sure is that you need to adjust the holes in the scratchplate from single coils to p90's :)

• Members

Thanks for the responses, sorry to hijack the thread.

What I am looking for in a guitar is a 3 pickup guitar with a pickguard and I like the idea of having a guitar with 3 P90 soapbars.

I already have a guitar with hum sized P90s so I am looking for something different, like the SE EG modded with 3 P90s.

I like the feel of the PRS SE guitars but would want to mod them. Ideally I want to mod the guitar without too much body routing, ie preferably just modding the pickguard.

Although now that I think about it, surely PRS would not use a swimming pool route would they?

Archived