Wireless Keyboard/Trackerball Question

• Members

I need to be able to use my wireless Keyboard and Trackerball in 2 rooms.

I'm looking at using either a USB splitter or a USB Switch and then going with 2 sets of receivers, one for each room.

The questions:

1 Can I run a wireless Keyboard and a wireless Trackerball off of 2 seperate receivers?

2 If I go with the splitter idea, will the 2 separate receivers be sending out mixed signals to my Keyboard and Trackerball?

3 If I go with the switch idea, will I need to re-initiate the Keyboard and Trackerball each time I use the switch?

Currently my setup is thus:

Computer/Keyboard Connector/Keyboard Connector - USB Adapter/Logitech Cordless Elite Duo Receiver

Computer/USB 1/Logitch HID-compliant Cordless Trackball Receiver:cool:

Hmmm... I'm not sure what your reasons are for needing to use the wireless trackball / keyboard in two different rooms - it sounds to me like you might need one of these. :)

I've never tried using a splitter or dual recievers with a wireless keyboard / mouse (I personally prefer a mouse over a trackball - YMMV ;) ), and I'm not sure if it would work or not... I have my doubts, but the only way to know for certain would be to try it.

• Members

Thanks Phil.

What I've got going on is a Control Room and Vocal Booth in what would normally be the Living Room and Dinning Room of my apartment. I have a wireless Keyboard and wireless trackerball that I use for my PC, both for music and business.

I like the trackerball. I switched about 2 years ago. Using Cubase, I have the trackerball on the left side of the keyboard with the buttons reversed (dropped on my head when I was a baby, don't 'cha know). That way I kinda use the right button with my left thumb for most of the clicks.

I currently trade the stock market to pay the bills until the music start to pay. So I need a third station in front of the television so I can stay on top of the news while the market is open. I tried using the keyboard and trackerball in my bedroom (where the television is), but the signal from the receivers was intermittent.

I'm thinking at this point that I could at least get away with the switcher by rebooting the computer and switching the receivers to the bedroom before the computer makes the keyboard/trackerball connection.

Ian:cool:

• Members

Wireless keyboards and mic have a very limited range, 8-10 feet at best. Also I doubt you'd be able to buy just a receiver, and if you're going to the trouble of running cable for the receiver in the room anyway, why not just run it hardwire, or add a network computer.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Wireless keyboards and mic have a very limited range, 8-10 feet at best. Also I doubt you'd be able to buy just a receiver, and if you're going to the trouble of running cable for the receiver in the room anyway, why not just run it hardwire, or add a network computer.

I may eventually go that route.

Thanks,

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Ian, you might want to check out something like one of
these.
I have not personally tried one, but if they do work as advertised, you could probably use a single keyboard / trackball and just move it from room to room.
:)

D*mn. Where do you find these things? That looks like it might just do the job. You the man.

• Members

I run a PC from two different rooms. I use USB cable to run two keyboards and two trackballs. I also have a wireless mouse as well, and basically no worries.

I'm rebuilding things at the moment, but my plan is to get a USB numeric keypad, and install this in the vocal mic - maybe on a mic stand or music stand. I use Cubase, and it can be stopped, started, looped etc just with numeric commands.

Archived