NS-10's, will they ever fade away?

• Members

Probably not. I may sound like a broken record, but as I always say: "Use what works." There are people who know those things inside and out, and that no matter what other monitors may be in the room, they KNOW what they're getting out of the Yammies. And I think that's the case with any monitors. I've had my original formula Monitor Ones for over a decade now, and I can easily nail a mix on them with no fuss. So while I don't like the NS-10s, I understand the love affair.

Peace

• Members

Actually, yes they will be gone someday. The tweeters are still available a'plenty, but the EPA made them stop making the woofers. The cone, is basically white compacted tissue paper, and the chemical they were using in this process was banned. So, when they are all gone, there they went!!

They were originally designed for home stereo speakers, and flopped, with a capital "F", and someone realized they were good for monitors. (Well, most studios dont use them as primaries)

Yamaha tried to replace them with the N-100 I think it was? I forget the model, but I guess they were nothing like the ns 10's.

Being as the woofers are relatively easy to blow compared to most others. they used woofers are getting pretty hefty prices on ebay. I sold my pair for almost 700 bux a bout a year ago, and I paid around 250 for the pair at work.

Its funny that several companies now are making monitors with white colored woofers, is that supposed to fool the laymen into saying, "Hey look, they have those white things"?

Funny thing is, they were still goin for 379.00 a pair when they quit making them. I wish I had bought 50 pair!!!

Thats about all i know........

• Members

the EPA? thats a new one to me but i guess it could be totally true.

I know people who ordered woofers and tweeters from yamaha within the last year. but maybe the EPA thing is new. or not true.

I got mine and I love them.

an easy way to protect the speakers is by putting a fuse before them. I've never done it but I know a few peopel who have.

the day NS-10's go away is the day people stop making Neve clones. IMO.

• Members

Actually, yes they will be gone someday. The tweeters are still available a'plenty, but the EPA made them stop making the woofers. The cone, is basically white compacted tissue paper, and the chemical they were using in this process was banned. So, when they are all gone, there they went!!

Absolute, 100% bull{censored}. The source for the pulp used to make the cones dried up, and yamaha was dissatisfied with any replacement solutions, so they chose to discontinue them. You can still buy woofers from Yamaha, as well as tweeters, crossovers and empty boxes.

• Members

Originally posted by rhythminmind

I saw these new yamaha's in the new MIX.. white cones are back..

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,,CNTID%253D49338%2526CTID%253D560744,00.html

they are obviously trying to ride the coat tails of the NS-10's

Honest to God, the ads actually say:

"If your mix sounds good on these, it'll sound good on anything."

I kid you not. Just like we used to say about Auratones -- and later NS10m's.

[i just noticed the web page you linked to has a similar legend. Sorry for the redundancy.]

I've owned my pair since something like '96 or so. I picked them up new for $230 at a weird electronic shop's going out of business sale and used them for around 4 or 5 years. But I could never get good mixes on them. I was doing a lot of synth stuff then and they just don't have enough bottom for that. (I sidelined them for a pair of Event 20/20bas which for me worked a lot better.)

But when I moved into a tiny apartment near the beach I pressed the Yamahas into service in the living room. Since they were now 'entertainment' speakers, I let myself kick in the passive variable loudness compensation on the Yamaha prosumer receiver powering them. (It also has a 'straight-wire' button that kicks out everything but the master volume, which I'd always used before.)

Whaddya know? All of a sudden the NS10's came alive.

While I would certainly not vouch for the linearity of their frequency response (like they were flat before? ;) ) I find them, with this EQ, for my everyday work, overall, to not only be far more pleasant to listen to, but actually easier for me to mix on. (I bring out the Events for serious work, actually rearranging the room a bit to avoid reflection. And then I use the NS10's for ref, kicking the EQ on and off... kind of like having 3 sets of monitors. Kinda.)

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

Absolute, 100% bull{censored}. The source for the pulp used to make the cones dried up, and yamaha was dissatisfied with any replacement solutions, so they chose to discontinue them. You can still buy woofers from Yamaha, as well as tweeters, crossovers and empty boxes.

Thats "pulp" fiction....

Well, then our yamaha rep, and the company themself, which we deal with on a regular basis, are lying then. It has been pretty much standard knowledge that the original woofers are NOT made anymore, for sometime.

There are absolutely NO boxes either, new or used.. I had our rep check for a month for some empties, all over the US...(he, Niel Patton, even checked a few sources overseas for me ) If you can basically buy all the parts as you said, why are the used pairs going from 500-700 dollars on ebay? What woofers are still available from Yamaha? Strange that they would be, I have been thru every avenue of what "is" yamaha, and their corporate, to find replacement woofers for customers......nada, pal....The only hope was, and IS leftovers, from someone or somebody. Whether thru Yamaha, or private party. And as hard as I scoured them, they aint there bruthuh!!!

If Yamaha is telling you that there are *original* woofers left, they are either trying to pull a fast one on the ns 10 owners, by offering speakers that *fit* the holes (maybe even white ones), or you are just assuming that they are available. Of course, they could have uncovered a stockpile of the real ones, in someones storage, or attic, or Phils garage........

Im not sure where you are getting your info.......

• Members

First off, Yamaha told the public about why they were discontinuing the product line in an official press release that was published in every major trade magazine.

And no, no one at yamaha is lying, there are still stocks of NS-10 woofers, provided you request the proper part number. They are not listed as general inventory, you need to know the part number.

I know someone who purchased a pair of woofers not 6 weeks ago from them.

They are going for stupid money on e-bay because you cannot buy a new set, and tons of hype. That has nothing to do with not being able to get parts. You could buy all the parts separately, but since Yamaha doesn't sell the NS-10 anymore, they do not assemble the parts, you'd have to do that yourself.

• Members

wrong, sorry.....It could be that its an inside thing, and I have dealt with the inside of the inside on this issue, with them.

I am pretty sure, that I didnt say a "part" number wrong. Nor did any of the people that I spoke to try to evade what I was looking for, because I didnt have the "bat code"

I can almost guarantee your friend received no original woofers, period.

As far as public announcements go,........ well there you go.

If you can still get the woofers from Yamaha, that would mean they are still making them, that contradicts your claim that they discoed them, pulp reasons, whichever.

Put it this way, the rep we deal with at work, would have put me /us in with the sweet inward deal INSTANTLY, But your story is probably right.

:thu:

• Members

Hey guys- quit parsing it out!

I have my NS-10s biamped w/ a sub and 2 pairs each of replacement tweeters and woofers. I still love 'em! I've had producers come through and their response is always positive- "I know what they sound like."

And for me that's key- I know what stuff sounds like through them.

• Members

wow.....I checked ebay last night, for the NS10 woofers. Apparently, OC speaker, which we deal with alot, has billions of them!!

Im not sure whats up with this, but I will call them monday. I know that these arent original stock, but if they are made somewhere else now, because of different manufacturing rules, and can keep the original process, then I was dead wrong, and I will freely admit it!!!

Sorry guys, in advance (if neccessary, of course):p

I just havent been up on these for about a year and a half, since I sold mine, and people have quit asking for replacements...

• Members

My guess would be they bought a big stock of them from Yamaha, anticipating the supply and demand pricing now going on.

I purchased two pairs of 10's when the announcement went down, and cannot believe the insane money I've been offered for them. They sit in climate/temperature controlled storage for future use. When I run out of working NS-10's, I retire.

Archived