OT: How long before you assume an ebay seller is a deadbeat?

cantdrive55

• Members

It's been a week since I won a Strat, payment was sent the day after auction's end, and an email sent as he requested in the auction, but have yet to receive either the guitar, or a reply to 2 emails I've sent. :mad:

to this point he's had 100% (65) positive feedback, which is odd.

• Members

File a dispute. Ebay will contact him also. If you paid with PayPal or a credit card you can get your money back if he doesn't respond.
I just went through this with a buyer. My auction clearly stated PayPal only and you must pay within 3 days. This guy mailed a money order. Well he said he did. That was on Sept. 18th and I never recieved a money order. I emailed him and got no response so I filed a dispute. Today I relisted the item.
I don't understand what these people are thinking. Hell, I sold my Ibanez on Ebay last night and I already shipped it today.

• Members

Had this exact deal happen to me just this month. Bought an Edwards, paid seconds after the auction. No reponse to 2 emails. Email three said I NEEDED TO HEAR FROM HIM IMMEDIATELY. The same time I requested his contact info and called his cell. Nothing. THe next day I got a response, lame excuse about him being at the hospital or whatever. I said fine, when can I expect this shipped? Finally got shipped on Monday.

Track their ass down and hound them. Don't get rude unless you have to. Someone with high feedback (i think my seller had 65 @100%) usually comes through. He threw in a set of PRS pickups to make up for it so I'm not too pissed so I won't leave a negative or anything.

• Members

I hate to sound so negative, but I assume everyone is a deadbeat until proven otherwise and I am not offended when people treat me the same (and I have perfect feedback.)

At this point I would place the item in dispute and hope for a happy ending.

• Members
Originally posted by batotman

Track their ass down and hound them. Don't get rude unless you have to. Someone with high feedback (i think my seller had 65 @100%) usually comes through. He threw in a set of PRS pickups to make up for it so I'm not too pissed so I won't leave a negative or anything.

Be polite but persistent.

A week seems like forever when you are waiting for merchandise, but can slip by almost unnoticed for a busy or preoccupied seller (not an excuse, but a fact). Some sellers have the mindset that they are "getting around to shipping real soon" in their head, and that they need not bother with responding to e-mails on that account. (It is one level of denial; very unbusinesslike but very common). If you dig through the advanced search options, you'll find a "find contact information" link that can be accessed only by the auction winner: this will get you his home address and often a phone number, and almost always enough info to track him down with whitepages.com or bigfoot.com. Phone calls can work wonders, but KEEP YOUR COOL. :cool:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ9

• Members

A week? Are you kidding, you should not be worried.

I get tired of hearing "I paid right away, you should ship right away"... Chances are most sellers will ship the next day or 2nd day. Consider there are 2 days every week that most carriers stop running. Now your down to 3 day of ship time.

By the way, you can't file a complaint because it has been a week, you have to wait 10 days minumum with both ebay and paypal.

It seems to me that because buyers take 2 minutes and "pay instantly", they expect the seller to spend anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour "instantly" to work on shipping whatever item it is.

Oh, i sell on ebay for a living, a little more than 10,000 so far.

Moral is give them time, sellers aren't always sitting by a computer waiting for emails, most of them have to work. To speak the truth, ebay and paypal gives the seller 10 days to ship any item. Now that is long and most sellers don't take that much time, but give it more than a week (5 days) from the time you pay to get it. :rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by seaofstrings

I get tired of hearing "I paid right away, you should ship right away"... Chances are most sellers will ship the next day or 2nd day. Consider there are 2 days every week that most carriers stop running. Now your down to 3 day of ship time.

By the way, you can't file a complaint because it has been a week, you have to wait 10 days minumum with both ebay and paypal.

It seems to me that because buyers take 2 minutes and "pay instantly", they expect the seller to spend anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour "instantly" to work on shipping whatever item it is.

Moral is give them time, sellers aren't always sitting by a computer waiting for emails, most of them have to work. To speak the truth, ebay and paypal gives the seller 10 days to ship any item. Now that is long and most sellers don't take that much time, but give it more than a week (5 days) from the time you pay to get it.
:rolleyes:

And the moral to the sellers is that good communication (as in answering e-mails in a timely fashion...w/in 24 hrs) can allay a LOT of anxiety and take much of the pressure off of both parties

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

And the moral to the sellers is that good communication (as in answeriing e-mails in a timely fashion...w/in 24 hrs) can allay a LOT of anxiety and take much of the pressure off of both parties

that too, sounds like both are at fault, then again OP wouldn't be freaking out if the seller just took a minute and said hey, i am shipping on "x" day.

• Members
Originally posted by seaofstrings

Moral is give them time, sellers aren't always sitting by a computer waiting for emails, most of them have to work. To speak the truth, ebay and paypal gives the seller 10 days to ship any item. Now that is long and most sellers don't take that much time, but give it more than a week (5 days) from the time you pay to get it.
:rolleyes:

That's super and all, but when the seller states in the auction that the winning bidder MUST contact him within 3 days of the end of the auction to arrange payment/shipping, I sure as hell expect an email back.

The seller also sold 2 other guitars the same day, I emailed both winners of the auctions to see if they've gotten any replies from the guy.

edit: I'm going to give him until Monday to reply to either of the emails I've sent until I send a message letting him know that if I don't receive a response, I'll report him to ebay and paypal.

• Members

I know it's a pain in the @ss, but i'd wait the required 10 days.

If no response in 10 days, I'd pull his contact info and give him a call.

If there is no answer for a while, file a claim, and we will surely respond then, if he's not stupid.

Hopefully you paid with a credit card or paypal?

• Members

Believe it or not, these things have happened before on eBay! They have procedures for dealing with them and timelines that both sides have to live with unless they agree otherwise. Check them out! The eBay communities are informative, too.

• Members

so it turns out the guy shipped it FedEx, despite the auction stating that he would send it UPS ground. I hate FedEx with a passion, they lost one my amps for a couple weeks, and are generally a bunch of inept morons.

They tried to deliver yesterday, but I wasn't home at the time, so they left the note saying they attempted delivery at the front office of the apartment complex.

So I stayed home today from work for 4 hours, waiting for the guitar to arrive, and finally got fed up of waiting and went into work at 4:00. The FedEx site says delivery was attempted at 1:00pm, which is obviously a load of bull{censored}.

Should I ding the seller for going through FedEx when he stated, in the auction, that UPS ground would be used?

• Members

Originally posted by Jaggery

The post office is next door, I ship within hours of receving payment.

Communication is key from both sides.

I hate it when either of the arty just stop responding to emails.

Yeah, he's the worst seller I've dealt with thus far.

I guess I've been lucky and only bought from good sellers previously.

• Members

Originally posted by pete n.

I was finally able to cancel the auction I had with the guy who never paid. I relisted my MidiVerb and sold it in 2 days.

I still never heard anything from the original winner.

What is the procedure for cancelling an auction due to non paying bidders?

Archived