DIY Routing. Anyone done this?

Krümel

• Members

Hello :D

So I've finally found a neck and some other parts for my old Squier affinity tele.

I have 5 single coils and a P90 at my disposal, and I'm thinking that I will just turn it into a Nashville style tele with 3 single coils, and a 5 way selector switch.

But to do this, I need to route the body for a middle single coil.

Has anybody ever done this before? Is it something best left alone?

I'm not going to take it to a tech, or have it profesionally done. Because the cost of the labour is more than the guitar is worth. So that's a total no-go.

• Members

First of all you will need a quality router and a quality bit with the right cut depth and circumference. If you haven't done it before then get an old lump of wood (with similar density to your guitar) and practice for a while, get the feel of the router because they have a tendency to 'pull' in one particular direction - so keep a firm grip on it, if you use a smaller circumference bit, the effect will be less pronounced.

Draw an outline where you want the pickup and rout a slot back from the nech pickup cavity, slowly work your way from the middle of the outline towards the edges. I say SLOWLY, there's no prize for rushing it! Stop regularly and clear the debris so you can clearly see your outline.

I don't know how good you are at playing guitar with your eyes shut but you will soon get plenty of practice if you don't WEAR EYE PROTECTION whilst routing!

Hope this helps...

Andy.

• Members

Thanks for the replies :D

It sounds pretty dangerous! I shouldn't really be allowed near power tools.

Tell you what I'll do. I'll stick one of the strat single coils into the bridge, set the guitar up, and see if I still have any need for a middle pup.

Would make a little more sense that way I think :D

• Members

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you completely off the idea. Using one of these is pretty safe as you will keep both hands on the two handles while the router bit potrudes through the bottom of the plate.

PXER213.jpg

Off course, the problem is actually seeing what you are doing when routing with one of these. To overcome that problem you would probably have to use a template following router bit and a template for a pickup cavity. The routing bits can be bought at Stewart MacDonald but they are fairly expensive.

0583_1lg.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/Ball_Bearing_Router_Bits.html

I can't find any routing templates for pickups there, but you can make those yourself fairly easy.

If you have access to a Dremel tool you can also get a router base for that and a wood routing bit for it. You can also get a router base for the Dremel at Stewart MacDonald:

5260_2lg.jpg

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Routing/1/Precision_Router_Base.html

The Dremel is potentially as dangerous as the router but it may be a little easier to control. I have used a Dremel freehand to enlarge a pickup cavity to acommodate a P90 so it is possible to get away with it without being a woodworker.

Just remember NEVER let your guard down when working with these kind of tools. Never posistion yourself or apply pressure on the tool in such way that if your hand slips you will get your hands near that routing bit. And ALWAYS unplug the the dremel or router before going anyway near the moving parts (to change bit or whatever).

Btw, I'm not associated with Stewart MacDonald in any way. If somebody knows any other place to get template following router bits then I would love to know. I have phoned and visited a bunch of tool shops in my own country and so far noone has even known what a template following router bit is. Most have also reacted very sceptical as to what you could possible use such a thing for... :rolleyes:

• Members

well if you are looking for the mega-cheapo way, and you don't care what it looks like under the pickguard you could always use a drill and one of those bigger bits, and route out small circles at a time. tape off the areas first and then mark on the tape the area to be drilled out.

22156.jpg

would I do this on a nice guitar? hell no, but on some cheap thing....eh, maybe. good thing I have access to a router though.;)

• Members

Ok,

Routers are just as safe as any other power tool, provided you are CAREFUL. Just as you should be with any other power tool.

If you're looking to fit a single coil pick-up, you can get a routing template from StewMac HERE. Not expensive at all, and very worth it. Then just get a template follower bit (you can use the StewMac one as suggested above, or bigger DIY stores should have them) and go slow, practise on scrap material, and take your time. Visibility with what you're doing shouldn't be an issue, and anyway, the template will stop you going too far - that's what it's designed for!

As for the drill suggestion in the post before mine, it's possible, but I wouldn't use the bit he just suggested, find a Forstner bit to hog out the cavity.

And I definitely would NOT use a Dremel for routing out a pickup cavity. It's not designed to do a job like that, it's far too large a scale for a Dremel to cope with.

• Members

Originally posted by Supernova9

As for the drill suggestion in the post before mine, it's possible, but I wouldn't

:D yeah every time I post something, you might want to ask yourself, what the hell does he know.;) I was just trying to get creative, and by no means was passing this off as the right way to do the job. probably more qualified folks around here to listen to than me.:) and as far as the bit I posted....its all I could find on google, but I didn't look long.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies guys. But the project is back on ice.

Look at this. There's a gap the size of the grand canyon between the new neck and the body.

BTW, the neck is a 70's style strat neck from an affinity strat (obviously). :cry:

Plus side. I now have another strat :D Can't wait to do a custom paint job on it :D

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

well if you are looking for the mega-cheapo way, and you don't care what it looks like under the pickguard you could always use a drill and one of those bigger bits, and route out small circles at a time. tape off the areas first and then mark on the tape the area to be drilled out.

22156.jpg

would I do this on a nice guitar? hell no, but on some cheap thing....eh, maybe. good thing I have access to a router though.
;)

Boots is right. After using the spade bits, you can easily use a dremel with the router base and a wood bit. If you have never done this before, the dremel is alot easier to handle then a full size router

I own two full size routers. but use the spade bit and dremel for 90% of my body work. Good luck !

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

22156.jpg

would I do this on a nice guitar? hell no, but on some cheap thing....eh, maybe. good thing I have access to a router though.
;)

please...do NOT do this.

• Members

if you are not handy with tools, dont use a router, its dangerous for one, as far as the drill bit suggestion, its actualy not bad if youre clearing out wood under a pickguard, BUT!!!!!!!!! DONT USE A SPADE BIT, if you want clean results use a forstner, and then CAREFULLY clean out the corners it leaves with a sharp carving chissel, and it should be fine:)

18302.JPEG

• Members

I think a dremel would be easier. I tried a router and they have alot of power. When it pulls it can really take out some large chunks. The dremel will take a little more fine touch and will take small sections. The dremel will bog down and slow before it takes huge chunks like the router. Unless your going to get the router, the bits and the template thing i wouldnt use that. Its hard without templates.

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

I think a dremel would be easier. I tried a router and they have alot of power. When it pulls it can really take out some large chunks. The dremel will take a little more fine touch and will take small sections. The dremel will bog down and slow before it takes huge chunks like the router. Unless your going to get the router, the bits and the template thing i wouldnt use that. Its hard without templates.

I agree with this, but as someone stated earlier when I suggested the Dremel, it is not really made for making large routs. It might be a good idea to combine the Dremel approach with using a Forstner bit for taking out the majority of the material.

• Members
Originally posted by BowerR64

Yes you would absolutely want to use a template with a router. No way you can control their path otherwise.

• Members
Originally posted by glassbackandy

First of all you will need a quality router and a quality bit with the right cut depth and circumference. If you haven't done it before then get an old lump of wood (with similar density to your guitar) and practice for a while, get the feel of the router because they have a tendency to 'pull' in one particular direction - so keep a firm grip on it, if you use a smaller circumference bit, the effect will be less pronounced.

Draw an outline where you want the pickup and rout a slot back from the nech pickup cavity, slowly work your way from the middle of the outline towards the edges. I say SLOWLY, there's no prize for rushing it! Stop regularly and clear the debris so you can clearly see your outline.

I don't know how good you are at playing guitar with your eyes shut but you will soon get plenty of practice if you don't WEAR EYE PROTECTION whilst routing!

Hope this helps...

Andy.

I've used router all my life w/o eye protection. But it is probably a good idea.

Archived