My GAS is never satisfied! Now I'm thinking Rickies! Any recommendations?

GAS Man

• Members

I'm thinking maybe a 330

Jetglo

http://www.willcuttguitars.com/details.asp?stock_id=212

Or Fireglo ??

http://www.music123.com/Rickenbacker-330-i10803.music

I'm also interested in the 381V69 (6 or 12) but they're quite a price jump.

Some of the appointments of the 360 seem superior, but yet that stubby lower horn reminds me of an amphibian appendage trying to grow back.

http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=360

Thoughts - Experience??

If mulah was no object, I'd probably get the black Jetglo 330 and a Fireglo 381/12V69

http://www.rickenbacker.com/model.asp?model=381/12V69

• Members

Buy a Danelectro DC12 if you want Petty/McGuinn. The Danelectro is cooler and, believe it or not, more playable.

I have a brand new old stock B&W DC12 w/tags that I'll be putting on eBay soon, but don't wait for then, buy a Dano NOW. You'll have a thousand dollars left over for your next GAS attack.

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Gretsch is infinitely cooler and in my opinion, completely better.

Probably, but probably also quite a bit different. Right?

Getsch is going to be bulkier with a woodier tone. Ricky is going to be more of a penetrating bright tone, right? I associate Gretsch more with Rockabilly which is actually one of my fave guitar styles. (or Chet Atkins style)

From what I gather the Rickies are also more suited to Rhythm playing. And I associate them more with vintage rock tones and the 70s Tom Petty sound.

Also, I could pick up a fireglo Ricky for a grand, what a decent Gretsch going to run me?. I usually guess it would be over $2K for da goods

I also already have a ES 335, so the gain with the Gretsch would probably mostly be with more of a single coil tone, correct?

They confuse me with their pups, Filtertron, TV Jones, DynaSonic, HiloTrons etc., I never find an explanation for what is what.

• Members

You can do lead on Rics as well, its a different tone, but overdriven you can get a nice raw bitting bright blues tone. They are great guitars, it just happens that where they shine is clean rhythm especialy through class A amps, VOX, orange, dr z, etc:), and the prices cant be beat, also check out the 650 dakota, its got a maple fretboard, and walnut body I believe. As well they sell for around 700$ (the price of a decent MIC gretsch)

650dakota.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

You can do lead on Rics as well, its a different tone, but overdriven you can get a nice raw bitting bright blues tone. They are great guitars, it just happens that where they shine is clean rhythm especialy through class A amps, VOX, orange, dr z, etc:), and the prices cant be beat, also check out the 650 dakota, its got a maple fretboard, and walnut body I believe. As well they sell for around 700$.

Which models & color gets your mojo going?

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

You can do lead on Rics as well, its a different tone, but overdriven you can get a nice raw bitting bright blues tone. They are great guitars, it just happens that where they shine is clean rhythm especialy through class A amps, VOX, orange, dr z, etc:), and the prices cant be beat, also check out the 650 dakota, its got a maple fretboard, and walnut body I believe. As well they sell for around 700$ (the price of a decent MIC gretsch)

650dakota.jpg

Damn that

• Members

I've not played one that felt worth a crap. And they are hideous. I think you have to be over 40 or a beatles fan to appreciate one.

Gretsch is infinitely cooler and in my opinion, completely better.

Gretsche pales in comparison with a Rick, quality wise that is.

As for the other statement you can get a huge variety of sounds out of Rick, you just have to try one for a while. I have seen Marilyn mansons fist guitarist use them, I have seen shredders use'em, and fat old guys play'em too:D

• Members

I think they are cheap for a reason. American made.....hmmm.

Ah well....I was thinking Gretsch as its outside the whole Fender/Gibson thing and is tradtionalist. Plus filtertrons kick ass.

That is a decent point. American made, hollow body, and the 360s and 330s can be had for only $1,100 and $1,000. Does make you think. But I've often figured that was because they didn't have the panache and popularity to push the price the way Gibson, Gretsch and Fender can.

What Gretsch model do have the hard on for? And where is a splano of their various pups?

P.S. Went searching for a Dano DC 12. Couldn't find any for sale. Found they used to be $299. Everyone holding one now probably wants a small mint to let em go.

• Members
Originally posted by GAS Man

That is a decent point. American made, hollow body, and the 360s and 330s can be had for only $1,100 and $1,000. Does make you think. But I've often figured that was because they didn't have the panache and popularity to push the price the way Gibson, Gretsch and Fender can.

What Gretsch model do have the hard on for? And where is a splano of their various pups?

P.S. Went searching for a Dano DC 12. Couldn't find any for sale. Found they used to be $299. Everyone holding one now probably wants a small mint to let em go.

Ebay is the place to find a Gretsch at a decent price.

http://www.gretschpages.com/models/

I dunno about Ric's ability to pump up price but i was incredibly unimpressed with them. And I'm a guy with almost all imports......:D

• Members

Originally posted by GAS Man

That is a decent point. American made, hollow body, and the 360s and 330s can be had for only $1,100 and $1,000. Does make you think.

They dont have the popularity and the market share of the bigger boys. That doesnt mean they cant build for that price, just look at carvin, they use tonewoods, fancy finishes, etc and sell their guitars from 500-1500 $US (granted their electronics kinda suck which is their downfall). They are also more of a niche item at this time (granted they were mainstream in the 60's with the beatles et al).

This is kinda funny, most of our threads are about arguing how high priced Gibsons are and how they arent worth more than "800$", now that theres a great american guitar thats priced fairly, we're afraid to buy because it might be poor quality lol.

Archived