Best distortion amp sound.

DeClo

• Members
Originally posted by Metal|Boy

This is what you are looking for:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=13940782#post13940782

Ampeg VH140c 2x12 combo. Best SS distortion for metal!

The Crate GX130c that I have is similiar to that Ampeg and it can be also found cheap on ebay.

AMpeg VH140 is something I can afford easily, they really sound great? Big winner? :thu:

• Members

Based on my extensive experience (I'm an old dude) playing metal, and doing it on the cheap, there are two routes I recommend.

First is the Line 6 Flextone III as mentioned. Killer sounding amp with some wicked distortion settings. When I'm testing guitars at GC, I alway use one of those to see how it sounds in different scenarios. I am going to buy one for my practice amp next year.

In my old band, my lead guitar player used a Marshall MG100 head. Okay, its solid state, $299, but it sounded great and was really loud! Worked in our band situaltion, wasn't to noisy, and held up really well. I mean we gigged with it all the time and even recorded our first CD using it. We played tuned down a full stuff and he used SD hot rails for pups (huge Maiden fan).

Before I bought my DSL, I used a Marshall VS100 that was great.
Got noisy after a few years though. Still is my practice amp. It was a combo and I bought a 4x12 and plugged it into it.

If I was on a budget, I'd get the Marshall MG. I know from experience they work well for and stay noise free for a few years. Plan to upgrade to a tube though after a while for the kind of distortion you want. You can even get the 100 watt combo and that I believe have speaker jacks in it so you can plug a cab up to it.

• Members

dude, for $500 on ebay you could get a kick ass set-up, ive seen 150 watt marshall heads for around $200 and 4x12 cabs for $200. if your considering $500 low budget then you need to check out my bank account...i can barely afford new picks...let alone pick-ups...let alone a new amp lol. hell...just blow all your cash and get a Mesa-Boogie stiletto trident...theres an awesome set up. ;)

• Members
Originally posted by Johnward02

dude, for $500 on ebay you could get a kick ass set-up, ive seen 150 watt marshall heads for around $200 and 4x12 cabs for $200. if your considering $500 low budget then you need to check out my bank account...i can barely afford new picks...let alone pick-ups...let alone a new amp lol. hell...just blow all your cash and get a Mesa-Boogie stiletto trident...theres an awesome set up.
;)

LOL! I'm not even a good guitar player, won't burn all my cash on an AMP.

Thanks to all, you're helping a lot.

Ebay time :evil:

Archived