Any Pete Townshend / The Who fans out there?

Fireproof

• Members

The Who are right up there with my list of favourite bands, and Pete Townshend one of my heroes (teamed right up there with Noel Gallagher and Crispian Mills). Don't think anyone has ever been as influential as he has in terms of setting the standard for rhythm guitaring for classic rock n roll and brit-pop. Just have to get his Signature p-90 SG :thu:

• Members

I have My generation, Tommy, and Who's next, thinking about getting live at leeds this weekend, have had Live at the Isle of Wight on DVD for awhile, and just bought the kids are alright the other day (awesome) and if that doesnt speak for itself...

ahem

l

l

l

V

• Members

Originally posted by One-armed Alec

:thu:

My favourite rhythm guitarist, bass guitarist and drummer - all in one band!

Ditto on that, and I would add my favorite singer.

Great band. Second best band of all time (after Pink Floyd). Maybe the best--depends on which I've been listening to more recently.

• Members

Listen to the Who...and think about the fact that all guitars, electric and acoustic, other stringed instruments like banjo, and piano and synthesizers are all being played by Pete, who also wrote the tunes, and you have to concede that he is a musical genius. Well, I think so!

• Members

I can't say any specific band is Number 1, but i have a top 5 band list. The Who is without a doubt way up on that list. Townshend is my favorite guitar player of all time. Not the most technically skilled or even the most innovative, but he is my favorite.

live.jpg

• Members

Ha, Pete did supposedly whack Haufman with his guitar didn't he? Cool.

My 9th grade music teacher (long ago) had us listen to and study Tommy for several days. It was one of those things that really shaped me musically. Then Who's Next came out and I was really blown away.

I am STILL looking for that Keith Moon style drummer to start a band with but it happened yet!!!

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

yep

one got smacked with a guitar and the other got all blowed up
:thu:

I thought it was Ed Sullivan's show where Keith put too much explosives in the drum kit and a cymbal hit Roger in the head or something but the Smother's Brothers? What happened with them?

• Members

Outstanding! Great to hear from other fans.

I think Townshend and The Who were/are just amazing musicians. They really know how to perform and put on a show too (and I'm not just talking about the equipment smashing, LOL).

Another great album is The Who: Join Together. The first disc is them performing Tommy almost in it's entirety LIVE straight through as part of their 20th anniversary tour in 1989. Awesome stuff!!

B000025JQV.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

• Members

AWESOME!!!!! Finally a grat post on a great band!!! Nobody has ever influenced me as much as the Who Musically (the Clash are a close 2nd).

anyone that is doubtful of their musical prowess and genius as a whole just needs to listen to Live at Leeds and watch Live at the Isle of White. Both (or either should make you fans forever)

And yes they did steal the show in the Rolling Stones' Rock and Roll Circus which is why Mick and the boys never released it

theatrically as planned. They felt upstaged by the Who's performance which is why it took 30 some years to get realeased in its entirity.

I have had the pleasure of seeing them in 1982 and in 1989 (my only disappointment is never get the chance to see Keith Live).

Another great Liver performance is their set during the Concerts for Kampuchea

• Members

Originally posted by Fireproof

Outstanding! Great to hear from other fans.

I think Townshend and The Who were/are just amazing musicians. They really know how to perform and put on a show too (and I'm not just talking about the equipment smashing, LOL).

Another great album is The Who: Join Together. The first disc is them performing Tommy almost in it's entirety LIVE straight through as part of their 20th anniversary tour in 1989. Awesome stuff!!

B000025JQV.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Another FYI, they just released a three DVD live set which includes the 1989 Tommy performance from the Join together box set and some more recent show footage as well including their Quadrophenia tour in I think 1997 or so..

• Members

Originally posted by dughaze

I am STILL looking for that Keith Moon style drummer to start a band with but it happened yet!!!

check out these guys - this drummer is the closest I've seen or heard ever (he's on the new album Sexiful)

http://www.theinternationalplayboys.com/index.php/fuseaction/mp3.main.htm

they don't sound like the Who, but the drummer is pretty damn Moonish

Originally posted by dughaze

I thought it was Ed Sullivan's show where Keith put too much explosives in the drum kit and a cymbal hit Roger in the head or something but the Smother's Brothers? What happened with them?

it was on the Smothers Brothers show - then Pete smashed Tommy's guitar

Archived