Best cheap USB interface

• Members

I would like a USB interface for my pc laptop. I would like it to have protools included (not to picky on the version). 2 inputs would be fine.

Any recomendations preferably priced below $500

Please give supporting information on why I should chose the unit of choice.

• Members

I buy USB audio interfaces from Fry's Electronics for under sixty bucks. However, they don't have mic inputs, just S/PDIF and stereo analogue inputs and outputs.

I bought one that was thirty bucks but it only runs at 48K and in spite of the claim "drivers for 44.1K are available as a download".. Not the case.

While that's probably the cheapest way to go for a USB audio interface, it's not going to work with Pro Tools GZ. :)

You have a couple of options fuzzball. From Digidesign, you can pick between a used / discontinued "original" Mbox (about $300, last I heard), or a new Mbox II (about $450 - 550, depending on the software bundle). The new Mbox II really doesn't give you a ton of stuff over the original - it does have an onboard 1X1 MIDI interface, which the original lacked (about $35 for a M-Audio 1X1 MIDI interface would equal that out), and possibly some sonic improvements (while I have heard both versions, I have not spent enough time with the new one, nor done ay side by side listening tests yet - but the preamps are supposedly a bit better on the new ones), but the biggest difference MAY be long term support. Digidesign's latest version of PT (7.0) will run fine on an original Mbox, but it's usually only a matter of time once Digi discontinues a hardware product before the software upgrade path dries up. For example, if you were to buy a discontinued Digi 001, you would be "stuck" at version 6.4 of PT LE. I don't know that it will be the case with the original Mbox - it's honestly so similar to the new one that I think the drivers might even be identical - I'd have to call Digidesign to check on that theory - but it's certaily something I'd be concerned about / want to check into if I was considering purchasing an original Mbox at this point.

Your ONLY other hardware interface option that is compatible with Pro Tools software is the M-Audio interfaces. I've got a couple of M-Audio PCI cards that I use as secondary audio interfaces, and they've been good performers for me.

The "problem" with the M-Audio interfaces is that they don't come "bundled" with the Pro Tools software - it's an "add on" purchase. The best price I've seen on the Pro Tools M-Powered software is $300 or so. Remember, you'd have to add that price to the price of the USB interface you're considering.

The MobilePre USB is good if you only need 16 bit recording... but personally, I prefer doing multitrack at 24 bits. It definitely makes a sonic difference. So you'd probably pay $150 for the interface, plus $300 for the software, and still only have 16 bit recording capability. While you could probably get a Mobilepre and the PT M-Powered software for $450, IMO, the Mbox II (which includes the PT software) for $450 is a better deal IMO. However, if you're a keyboard guy, there are some M-Audio keyboard options with built in audio interfaces that might be of interest. IOW, while the basic "entry point" prioces are going to be similar, you do have more interface options with the M-Audio products.

If you'd like to read more about PT M-Powered and the compatible M-Audio interface options, you can check it all out here. :wave: But IMO, at the moment, I'd consider the Mbox II as a good "general purpose" entry level product into the world of Pro Tools.

• Members

Thanks, I already have a good 24 bit system (Roland 2480) and several good recording programs for my computer. I am hoping to get rid of my protable Boss unit and get a unit for my laptop to use as my mobile device. I want protools because I am a bit familiar with it. With that in mind the Mbox II you mention seems to be the best I have heard so far. Thank you for the great response.:D

The Athlon XP is okay, and your ram, while not ideal, should be okay - I'm recommending 1 GB as the starting point these days for DAW use - but the chipset can definitely make a difference. If you have a SIS chipset, you're in trouble. VIA and nForce2 chipsets are fine, although you can still have problems with other components. I switched from a VIA to an nForce2 at one point, only to have problems with a Matrox G550 video card. It had worked great with the VIA chipset, but had issues on the nForce2 chipset mobo.

One excellent place to get information regarding PC's for use with PT is this thread on the DUC where my buddy Allen Hallada gives out excellent advice. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

While that's probably the cheapest way to go for a USB audio interface, it's not going to work with Pro Tools GZ. :)

Ahhh.. I forget. Not being a Pro Tools guy I figure any interface that will work on a Mac (the USB interfaces I buy are in the Mac section at Fry's..even though I use a PC)..will work with Pro Tools.

Alas. I forgot. Another reason I'm glad I don't use PT.

• Members

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe

Anytime fuzball.
:)
Let us know what you decide on, and how you like it once you get it.
:)

Also, make sure your laptop meets the Digidesign compatability specs before you purchase anything. You can find the compat docs
for the Mac right here.
If you're running a PC,
here's the compatability page.

Yeah definately check those out before purchasing a Protools set up.

On PC's Protools is compatible with XP Pr and Home Editions. Its important to know that its not presently compatible with Windows XP Media Center Edition even though its essential XP Pro with some extra media elements (that can be disabled) and without the domain feature.

Here are some links relating XP MCE and Protools. I also e-mailed Digidesign last week for more info on the issue but haven't heard back.

Microsoft MCE Forum Thread 1

Microsoft MCE Forum thread2

• Members

Thanks for sharing, My desktop can handle it easy, but I will have to add some ram to the laptop as mentioned (I agree the more the better). I am still trying to findout if my chipset will work.

Thanks for the advice, this stuff can be a pain.

Archived