Bought my first mics

• Members

I'll be picking up an Shure SM58, and a pair of Peavey PVM 45i's later this week from a guy on ebay.

Some vocal and guitar/bass cab micing is what I hope to achieve... perhaps trying the peavey on snares and various peices of the drum set...

Hopefully I'm starting with decent mics that I'll be able to use for a long time, instead of starting with crap like I have with all other gear endeavors I've undertaken

• Members

Guy says he prefers the tone to a 57, but I'll be the judge of that I guess.

But the SM58 was worth the price I paid for all three, so even if they have little use (I'm sure they're good for something), it's just like I got two free mics anyway.

• Members

If I recall correctly, the 'i' versions were neodymium? When I had a four track, I recall trying a bunch of Peavy mics which were all the rage at the time.

I seem to recall the PVM45i having quite an edgy sound, which sounded quite exciting on my boring vocals. I sometimes wished I'd bought it and kept it, now that i've got some decent preamps. I'm sure I had no idea what I was doing at the time :)

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

I have to say Peavey has great gear for the price. The mics are usable and they can take a beating.

Anything I ever owned by Peavey didn't sound all that great but lasts FOREVER. There is a real trade off there that is worth considering in some situations for sure.

War

• Members

I have had 2 great sounding Peavey amps.

A great sounding Peavey wolfgang

A great sounding Peavey strat copy

2 great sounding Peavey power amps

A good live Peavy mixer

and 1 decent sounding set of Peavey PA speakers

War, what did you have that you found to not so very good?

Just curious.

Fuzz

• Members

an SM 58 is always useful for something. It may not be the greatest mic, but it's never the worst. It's a mic that you can hang on to for a long time. I have several SM 57s, and I always find uses for them. I've actually been getting back into using them for guitar cabinets recently, especially for distorted stuff.

Peavey made this wonderful mic preamp, the VMP-2. It sounds really good. Really. It sits comfortably alongside my RNPs and my Neve Portico, and I'm not getting rid of the Peavey anytime soon.

I have a Peavey P.A. head, something that I bought in a pawnshop, and the thing still works despite having beer spilled on it and abusing it for way longer than I'm willing to admit.

• Members

"I have a Peavey P.A. head, something that I bought in a pawnshop, and the thing still works despite having beer spilled on it and abusing it for way longer than I'm willing to admit."

Peavey, built like a rock. I have used and abused my Bandit 112S for years and that thing rocks! The only thing I would say that would make it better would be some noise reduction.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzball

I have had 2 great sounding Peavey amps.

A great sounding Peavey wolfgang

A great sounding Peavey strat copy

2 great sounding Peavey power amps

A good live Peavy mixer

and 1 decent sounding set of Peavey PA speakers

War, what did you have that you found to not so very good?

Just curious.

Fuzz

Peavey mixer, Peavey mics, Peavey combo amp (Bandit 112 my buddy had) etc...none of that stuff sounded great but it did last forever. The SP series PA speakers we had in our old band were pretty good sounding though!

War

• Members

My Bandit Rocks, my mixer sounds clear and clean, the power amp is great. The one thing you liked seems to be the one type of product that they make that I am not completly happy with. I tend to prefer EV PA speakers.

• Members

Well I just got these 3 mics.

I gotta say, after a few minutes of testing, the Peavey's sound better to my ears than the Shure, at least for male vocals and acoustic guitar. With voice, the peaveys seem have a bit more of a condensor feel, a bit more open and natural. With guitar, the sm58 is a little muddy but the Peavey cuts a lot better.

I think the 58 will still make a better stage mic, as it seems like it will have better feedback rejection... but these peavey's sound very nice! And they were $45 each!!

Archived