Any shredders NOT use jumbo frets?

Fireproof

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

*raises hand* I do it just fine on my les paul studio, and now on my sg standard, both with what people consider chunky necks and vintage style frets.... I also have an RG570 with Jumbos. Each have their merits, I like them all:)

Yeah, what he said. :)

I'm not really a shredder, though I like the style. I can play just as fast right now on a LP as on my shred-designed Yamaha. What gets the nod is the one that gives me the sound I'm looking for at that time...

//S

• Members

Originally posted by expertune

Sorry, I am not familiar with "Jumbo frets". What the heck is this? any difference between "Jumbo frets" and "normal frets"? Thanks

All frets have a certain size (This is not the distance between frets, but the actual size of the metal frets).

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Fretwire/1/Stewart-MacDonald_Fretwire.html

Frets that are narrow and small are generally regarded as vintage frets. They make chording easier because they don't have be fretted as hard, and since they're so small, they don't pull as much string over them, which helps with intonation. However, they're a pain in the ass to bend with.

Jumbo frets are wide and tall, and can give sort of a scalloped feel. When one combines low action with tall frets, in theory, they can play notes faster because the distance they have to travel to fret a note is shortened significantly. Also larger frets make bending easier as you're typically bending only on the fretwire (low friction) and not on the board (high friction). However, their tall size can cause a guitarist with a heavy hand to pull chords out of tune.

Medium jumbo (like used on modern Fender/Gibson guitars) are a compromise between the two- eased bending and decent intonation when chording.

//S

• Members

It really comes down to personal preference, some people like myself do fine with both styles. I have a fellow shredder friend, he uses Ibanez JEM's, but gets his neck refretted with tiny vintage frets like on the old les paul customs:freak: , youd think it was odd, but once you hear him fly through sweeps all over the neck, I guess it puts to sleep the notion that you need jumbos to shred.

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

All frets have a certain size (This is not the distance between frets, but the actual size of the metal frets).

Frets that are narrow and small are generally regarded as vintage frets. They make chording easier because they don't have be fretted as hard, and since they're so small, they don't pull as much string over them, which helps with intonation. However, they're a pain in the ass to bend with.

Jumbo frets are wide and tall, and can give sort of a scalloped feel. When one combines low action with tall frets, in theory, they can play notes faster because the distance they have to travel to fret a note is shortened significantly. Also larger frets make bending easier as you're typically bending only on the fretwire (low friction) and not on the board (high friction). However, their tall size can cause a guitarist with a heavy hand to pull chords out of tune.

Medium jumbo (like used on modern Fender/Gibson guitars) are a compromise between the two- eased bending and decent intonation when chording.

//S

Thanks! learned a lot. :-)

• Members

Originally posted by BowerR64

He was in the band for a while i think? i like his signature guitar. RB voyager, even thought its kinda rare.

I have have a video of his with some weird shaped ibanez on the front cover. DId he make another one?

that's the one i have... the intro song and closing-credit songs are awesome..

• Members

Reb is still alive and well. He's endorsing Suhr guitars these days. I think he was last ween playing with Dokken or Whitesnake, maybe both.

This is his Suhr I think. it's the first one on thier hompage.

suhr_full.jpg

BTW, I thought the Eric Johnson strat came w/ vintage frets. I was wrong. i checked and they're meduim jumbos.

Archived